1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Power Mirror Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FredRit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. FredRit

FredRit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey all,

For the past month or so, I've been noticing that my power mirrors have a hard time working. When I go to adjust them, the switches do nothing, until I switch the L-R button back to the middle and then back to the side I'm trying to adjust. Then they seem to operate normally, with no issues at all. I'm guessing it could be a problem with the switch, because the motors operate normally once I cycle the button, but I can't seem to find ANY mention of this issue anywhere else.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like dirty contacts in the selector switch - when you operate the switch it (temporarily) cleans the contacts enough to allow it to work. I would research to find the best way of cleaning the contacts. The solution might be as simple as squirting some WD40 or contact-cleaner in the cracks, but I'd look around and see what (if any) adverse effect that might have on anything in or near the switch! Good luck (and Welcome to PriusChat!) - Wil

FredRit likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    your warranty expired already, so no luck trough this path.
    Try to get a replacement assembly from a dismantler source or ebay

4. FredRit

FredRit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually have a Platinum Service contract, most of the car is covered until 100,000 mi

5. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    194,000 miles
    Same mirror problem cropping up, Small Potatoes.

This is much less annoying than my 1993 Toyota V6 Xtra-cab needing head gasket work every 75,000 miles.