1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Prius battery problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Clay Celander, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Clay Celander

Clay Celander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everyone just seeing if this has happened to anyone else-

My wife took here car to work(it was a pretty cold day yesterday and it sat outside) , when she came back the trunk wouldn't work,and when she tried to turn the car on all the warning lights and displays started flashing and then just faded out. Car would not start either. AAA came and jumped it, wouldn't start initially, but after leaving the cables on for a bit it did start up normaly. Only problem was the trip display screen was not working.
    After leaving it for the night, this morning everything started fine and the display came back, car worked fine.
    Any ideas? Do we just need a new 12v? Thanks for any advice!

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. Failing or poor performance in the cold is a sign. On regular cars, it shows up as slow cranking of the gas engine but since a hybrid uses the very robust high voltage hybrid battery to start it one doesn't get this obvious signal till it's usually too late.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if it's the 2010, and original, replace it.

4. orlywon

orlywon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like the 12v battery needs to be replaced. I had the very similar symptoms on my 2010. All problems gone after replacing the battery.