1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

weird rear tire wear fixed and now low mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by B. Roberts, Nov 26, 2008.

1. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found a great deal of unusual rear tire wear that would eventually cook several spots down to the tire cord after around 10,000 miles on my wife's 05 Prius. Did not rotate to try to find out which corner was causing flat spotting. Did get a rebalance and alignment to make sure these were not the problem.

I found the rear passenger side wheel was not rotating smoothly. I was taking the wheels off to clean bits of tar that had accumulated on the inside portion of the wheels before a tire change late this summer, and felt the snag as I manually rotated the wheel. The drivers side was fine and turned smoothly. The snag was very smooth so I didn't think that the bearings were involved and it always occurred at the same point in the rotation for a few degrees of the wheel/hub movement.

So, off to the dealership to investigate. They found that the rear brake was snagging just enough during rotation to induce the severe tire wear. This was fixed. Put new tires on all corners to get rid of the flat spot noise, the third set so far in a little over 50,000 miles. Everything went back to normal. Nice quiet round tires again!

About a month later, the mileage plummets from 50 to 54 mpg down to 38 to 39. No major changes, tires and pressure, gasoline, driving style or routine. Winter fuel only knocks mileage down to around 50 mph. And then noticed that the ICE does not shut off like it should. It's the ICE not shutting off that has me concerned. What might be going on? Any ideas?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two words ... cold weather.

3. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would love to think it's just cold weather related, but with temperatures in the 50s and 60s a couple of weeks back... I would hate to see my mileage figures when we get down into the single numbers and teens during winter.

This low mileage event has spanned two full tanks of gas, and mostly in very nice weather. The lowest "winter" mileage figures we have seen from this car so far was 48 mpg last year. Temperatures were really cold when that was measured.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you previously had a problem with rear brake drag, is it possible that issue has returned? If you can jack up the rear of the car and rotate each tire by hand, you may be able to detect a brake drag problem.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did someone set the cabin temperature way up? Are you perhaps shifting into "B" without realizing it?

6. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good ideas. I'll get the car up off the ground and check the two rear wheels for binding by rotating them again. Will also check the temp setting. Wife has the car... so will do the checks when she gets home tonight.

Thanks. The mileage on the info screen this morning when she left was 39 and it really took me by surprise. This is still a great site!

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In threads about low mileage it seems important to me to answer two questions:
    1. Is the ICE running all/most of the time even at low speed (sub 40 mph)? (The car should be able to do long glides on the flat at these speeds without needing any additional power from the ICE.)
    2. Is the ICE running all/most of the time when idling? (Especially an issue if this is happening after warm up.)

If it is #1 and not #2 then brake issues, alignment, tire inflation, and drivetrain issues rise to the top of the concerns.

If it is #2 then the first thing to look at is climate control settings. If the AC, heat, or defrost are running they put quite a bit of demand on the system. At about half way on the blower if the AC is running the ICE seems to stay on. Heat/defrost are even more punishing in my admittedly limited experience.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Winter driving also frequently sees more use of "defrost" cycle, which enables the AC to dehumidify the air. AC is another mileage killer but not seeing out the windows is worse.

My approach is to recirculate the air in the cabin and pulse "defrost" when crusing. A little foggy around the margins, I still have excellent visibility and good mileage.

Bob Wilson

9. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the responces and ideas/help given... so I had to try something and here's what I did last night as an update.

Went to Thankgiving diner about 40 miles away. Took wife and her Prius, plus several dishes of food. Reset mpg at start. Noted temp was 39 degrees F, dry road surface, little wind. Set heat at max cool and lowest fan, outside air. Course is rolling, downhill... elevation change from 700 feet MSL to around 100-150 feet MSL. Back roads, no Interstate at 40 to 50 mph mostly. No cruise control.

Got there with indicated 56.3 mpg. Return trip was via slightly different route... climbing back to 700 feet. Outside air temp had dropped to 27 degrees F, so put a tad more heat on to 69, still at lowest fan position. Mileage for entire trip ended up at 51.9. Only 80 miles, but a fairly representative Maine drive.

When I first got into the car (wife drives it 99% of time) found heat set to 74 degrees and at mid fan position. Soooo, might just be an inattentive driver too lightly dressed for the season induced mileage drop to 38 to 40 mpg type of issue? I have a tough time thinking that a 5 to 10 degree heat difference would make that much of an impact on mileage. I'll have to keep better track for a while.

I'm still going to check that rear right wheel for the brake drag as soon as I get a chance to put the jack under it. Don't want to flat spot the new tires.

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good work! It's hard to complain about 56 or ~52 mpg over 40 miles in those temps. That heat/AC/defrost is a real mileage killer if you just set it and forget it. Mid-fan position seems to be too high in my experience, resulting in the ICE running a lot.

I'll give your wife an alibi here: the techs often fiddle with climate controls (and sometimes the radio) and usually the seat, sometimes the mirrors. So they might have set the temp or blower higher. It is my habit to check/reset these sort of things when I get my vehicle back.

My wife was a bit irritated a few weeks ago when I fetched the Prius after a cold soccer game. She got in to find that I had not turned on any heat since we were only about 3 miles from home.