1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird sound as a flap tries to close

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mitrea Robert Dan, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Mitrea Robert Dan

Mitrea Robert Dan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, i'm new here, but i really don't understand this issue: I bought a 2006 gen 2 prius, and i just noticed, that when the car is ON (either electric or gas) there is a weird sound coming from the dashboard, as if a flap or clap is trying to be closed but failed... i am not sure this is the problem... when i turn off the car, after a few seconds, something sounds as if it is closing... the sound is audible only with the car on, and only when there is quiet in the car and/or around the car...also, when i pop the hood, there are just normal sounds ( either the ICE or the normal engine working, nothing else) ... has anyone had this problem before? where should i look? PLEASE HELP !!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    it sounds like one of the hvac vent doors is having a problem. this is a fairly common issue and requires removing the whole dash board.

does the sound change at all when you change the airflow setting?

some have had success spraying lubricant from underneath, but i'm not familiar with the process.

try searching for key words like 'hvac vent, flap, door' etc.

3. Mitrea Robert Dan

Mitrea Robert Dan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you for your help.
    Is this the part you were talking?
    It's on ebay: the rest of the link: /p/HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-Fits-2004-2009-Toyota-Prius-Dorman-OE-Solutions/720674791?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no link there, sorry.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius