1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird steering pull to the right

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by raspy, Nov 22, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has only happened on and off since yesterday. There is a strange electronic noise occasionally coming from the edge of the driver's dashboard, hard to describe, like a mini squelching sound, even when stationary. Definitely not a rattle.

Then after those noises happened, I noticed that the car when driving is weirdly pulling to the right in a very subtle way, but not in the way when you have low tyre pressures, but similar to the sensation when the car tries to steer you back into your lane (but not as strong)

I will check tyre pressures in the morning, but anyone else experienced this on their car?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    strage, maybe one of the advanced steering thingy's gone bad? surprised there are no dash kites.

3. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the pip is going to the right the dealership should be able to find out what going. Alignment the wheel, Strange cause I got hit twice in my Gen 3 and that never happen. The noise part if that happen all the time then they can probably fix that.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the OP has a 2016 Prius hatchback, not a pip.

5. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that's correct.

Well, I checked the tyre pressures and they are both equal and normal.

The noise came again today, driving at 40mph on a straight road, and now I can describe how it sounds, like a bloody sparrow/small bird deep inside the right hand side of the dash. Again, the steering tugged a little bit.

I checked the fluids, oil, coolant (left) and power coolant (right) 1 hour after returning from today's drive and those fluids are between low and full levels.

Attached Files:

6. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car is under warranty . Just take it to the dealer . Gen 4 has a lot sensor surprised that none of them pop up yet in the dash. Let us know what the dealer came up with .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The other day I had a high pitch noise. What it was the heat came on. the fan went to maximum speed. And the automatic default setting is floor vents. Ether it's to much air for only the floor or other vents were leaking. I now have it set to be floor and dash vents.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Possibly the lane keep assist shorting out? Mice eating wires is weird.

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Sounds like you may have a stone trapped behind the brake disk, between the disk and backing plate. Try reversing some distance in an empty car park to see if you can dislodge it, or push the backplate away from the disk at various positions and see if the stone drops out.
    Alternatively it could be a sticky brake pad.

RCO likes this.