1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird ticking sound front driver side, please help *video*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by caymandiver75, Jan 5, 2016.

1. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 2012 Prius has this annoying ticking sound coming from the front driver side of the car. Cold weather seems to make it worse, but it comes and goes randomly. I have no clue what it could be however from the sound of it I think it may be sheet metal related? I've looked under the car and around the fender area and don't see anything loose and before I take it to the dealership and drop over $100 on diagnostics I thought I'd post here in hopes someone else has experienced the same.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i couldn't hear anything. can you describe it in more detail?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I only heard the rumble of the tyres, I didn't hear a "ticking" noise, sorry!

4. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think I heard about 27 "ticks".. does this seem to be related with bumps in the road? Can you raise the front end of the car and turn wheels to replicate? What if you push on the car up/down, do you hear noise? May be suspension related?

5. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will try what you have suggested and see if I can replicate the noise. Thanks for taking a look and offering your help! You may be onto something with the possibility of it being suspension related because I don't recall hearing it prior to adding the TRD springs. Just odd that I only hear it occasionally and even more so when it's very cold outside.