1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird ticking sound, please help *video*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by si12j12, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems with a couple posts here that they home in on what's different, how the car's modified. I know of a couple in the thread with mods, didn't think to see who didn't have mods. This I great, more ammo to give the dealer.

My biggest takeaway was a comment by the tech after we drove it that we could spend thousands replacing parts and not fix it, and maybe wait til something actually breaks. If it's a shaft, that's a hefty price in repairs and possible injury but he felt it wasn't the issue. I think I will replace it. Even if he's right, it's the cheapest of the parts we discussed :-(

iPhone ?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you please post a recording inside the cabin? I wonder how bad the sound gets when left alone unpaired. I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty, but don't think it's a safety issue. Maybe the CV needs to be re-greased?

4. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this theory is correct, then it should make the same noise while accelerating in reverse. I tried it just now - no noise. I don't think CV axle is the problem

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So you have the same noise too? While my theory on swapping the axles from left to right may not be true, I still believe that the torque placed on the axle from regen braking is likely the source of the noise.
    It may be the earliest sign of CV joint going bad. It might start with regen brake while turning sharply then slowly migrate to wider turn, then to barely turning then regen braking in straight line. Who knows what the problem will turn into if not repaired. If it is the CV joint, this raises the question of what could cause the CV joint to defect so early on in the vehicle's life. Does Toyota need to issue a recall for the axle or extend the axle warranty? Will there be a class action for those who spent money on fixing a premature axle failure?
    All I can tell you is that once I got my axle replaced, the noise is gone. The dealer couldn't explain it. They inspected everything and couldn't find any visual signs of defect. They're just started replacing everything they could think of and hoped for the best. Toyota warranty covered it so it doesn't matter to them if the repairs they've done actually fixed the problem or not. They got paid no matter what.
    In Chris S's and many others' cases, they don't have that luxury of "let's just start replacing parts and see if it fixes the problem" They need to know the exact cause of the ticking noise. I mean has anyone had this exact problem and Toyota actually fixed it? I'm sure I'm not the only one. Please let us know how Toyota fixed your ticking noise and what caused it.
    If there's another cause to the ticking noise, I want to know too. What if the axles the dealer replaced on my car only mask the sound and the actual problem still exist.

6. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea I have the same noise. I took it to the dealer, they kept the car all day and returned it with the statement that they could not hear the noise I was talking about. I don't have a lot of time to go back and fourth with the dealer right now, I am only at 37,000 miles, so I have many more miles of the drivetrain warranty. If it gets worse, I will go back when I have time. Being an engineer, I am very interested to find out what the real problem is, but because of time limits I don't want to deal with it too much right now. I believe the issue is other than the axle, but can't pinpoint it at this time

7. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you turning at the same time?

8. bear4

bear4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, turning and accelerating in reverse

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  9. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried to get a good recording but it's not loud enough in the cabin to get captured on my phone. It can definitely be heard though, like a small hammer tapping the firewall, just not loud enough for an iPhone. Tomorrow I'll take another audio file in my neighborhood with the window down where its definitely loud enough. ..just as long as I don't drop the phone out of the window! ;-)

iPhone ?

10. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's that hard to record, then it's not that loud. Probably similar to mine.

11. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    phone mics suck. they pick up useless noises besides the actual noise you want to record.

12. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, it's not loud enough for a good recording and doesn't beat out the stereo or busy intersections inside the cabin. Outside is a different story, it's definitely the same as the initial upload in the first post and plain as day. The ticking sound bounces off curbs, cars and everything else to scream, "Hey, this Prius has issues!" ;-)

I sent cproaudio's theory and some other info to the Service manger and he replied he'd pass it on. Haven't heard back and doubt I will. I am still anxious about all that money for the shaft, I have no noise at all when I turn the wheel, only with the brakes. Debating just trading it in over gambling the $700 but hate both ideas.

iPhone ?

13. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do as you wish, but I'm not losing sleep over mine. I'm waiting for Toyota to release a TSB on this. Arguing with Toyota mechanics is so much easier when you have a TSB printout in hand.

14. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder how long it takes for a TSB if enough complaints are on file against a subsystem.
    I kind of agree on just letting it go but don't like that something just isn't right. Aah, so torn ;-)

iPhone ?

15. alwaysthirteen

alwaysthirteen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the same issue as si12j12, clicking noise when braking from 25 mph to 5. What I just noticed this weekend is that there is no noise when I put the car in neutral and brake. It doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning, if I'm braking under 25 mph and in gear, click click click click... Mine is getting louder as time is passing. I'm taking my car in next week for the recall and an oil change, I'll let them know about the noise and see what they say.

16. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the thread! ;-)
    Yep, same symptoms myself and others have. Do you have any mods? If so, don't accept that they're the cause. I look forward to hearing what your dealer says.

iPhone ?

17. alwaysthirteen

alwaysthirteen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I have the Prius Plus (TRD) springs and sway bar.

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car has started the click click click click, only when stopping on a hill and turning right, has been doing this for arouns 1,000 miles. Still doesn't do it when stopping on flat ground or down hill, or when stopping on uphill and going straight.

I'm going to do an oil change soon and will look at the cv joint/boots to see if I can see whats going on. I think it's the drivers side cv joint. 71,000 on the car.

19. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say next week. And now Adamace1 brings a little more intrigue with the hill and turning issue but not downhill. I'd like to think based on earlier theory by cproaudio on the force applied to the CV's that there'd be noise on the downhill, not up.

iPhone ?

20. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, mine does when stopping AND turning (left or right) downhill only.