1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird tire wear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gen2Prii, May 29, 2022.

1. Gen2Prii

Gen2Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm trying to find the solution to the uneven wear on my rear driver side tire. At low speeds, the rear end of the car is wub wub shaking.
    There is no steering wander, I think the front is toed correctly, it's just the rear giving a problem.
    Jacked up, the wheel spins nicely and the wheel bearing is good. Four year old rear KYB shocks, rear driver side riding 3/8in lower. There's one really good gouge in the lip of the rim. Is it shocks? Could a bent rim make this wear pattern?

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you just need the tires to be balanced?

3. Gen2Prii

Gen2Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought that a possibility, however the weights are still on the rim from when the tire was installed a couple months ago.
    The last tire I had on this hub lost the weights at some point and had random bald spots, but the tire wear was different than this time. This time is cupping, I believe.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have cupping on the tires, it's worn/leaking shocks. Since 1 side is sitting lower than the other side, I would think you have a blown shock on one side.

Luckily rear shocks are fairly cheap. Preferably replace everything in pairs, a pair of shocks and a pair of tires

5. Gen2Prii

Gen2Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, that's the confirmation I needed

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That picture shows a tire with a "shifted belt"- part of the tread is separating and makes a lump that sticks out. (see how the tread has a "peak" towards the left side?)

So that tire is no longer round, it's eccentric which gives you that "wub-wub" shaking. The tire is bad and needs to be replaced - asap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#6 mr_guy_mann, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
  7. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bent rim. What did it turn out to be???