1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird turn signal flasher problem

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Justin RR, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Justin RR

Justin RR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Toyota Aqua G (2013) (NHP10), and i happen to come across a very strange problem. The problem is that my car doesn't have a meter (dashboard) sound, forexample Seatbelt warning sound, indicators blinking sound or reverse gear sound etc.

But it turns on in the morning sometimes and keeps working for 15-20 minutes and after that the car goes completely silent.

Most of the times when i park my car in the night if by mistake i turn on the signal when car is parked, and in the morning when i come in and power it up, the sound will keep working for more than 30-40 minutes and then all of a sudden it will go blank.

I tried to locate the relay flasher but i couldn't find it, forexample
    under the steering wheel, i read all the forum threads where they told that its a back breaking job to locate it but i tried everything and i couldn't locate the relay down there,

Also i tried on the passenger side fuse box too. Its not there aswell.

If someone can give me a hint on what could be the problem, i would really appreciate it.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know which module makes sounds in these cars. @Elektroingenieur might have an idea?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s translators use the term “buzzer” for aural annunciators of all kinds, including those with sounds more usually described in English as beeps, chimes, or clicks.

The Repair Manual (more info), under Vehicle Interior: Meter/Gauge System: Problem Symptoms Table, lists the combination meter assembly as the only suspected area for any buzzer-related problem, including “All buzzer does not operate normally,” “Seat belt warning buzzer malfunction,” and “Turn signal flasher buzzer malfunction (Turn indicator light operation is normal.)” In Toyota’s servicing strategy, a faulty combination meter assembly would be replaced as a unit; the combination meter glass is the only part sold separately.

As far as I know, there isn’t a separate turn signal flasher relay; the turn signal flashing is also a function of the combination meter.

4. Justin RR

Justin RR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the detailed information. I think the buzzer itself is fine because some of the times when it starts working it keeps on working for 1-2 hours & all the sounds including the seat-belt warning alarm, the reverse gear beep etc keeps comming. But i guess its rather some sort of wiring issue. Because when i press the "Hazards Lights" button the whole meter starts to blink rather than just the two indicator flashes.

What could be the remedy for this?

5. Justin RR

Justin RR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    IV
    is it this part which is faulty?