1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Welcome to the new PriusChat! Post your questions, bugs, suggestions here

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, May 30, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a god! We give thanks.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hit an bug where some (but not all) URLs are lost after editing at post.

The intended URL was
    BMW Drive for Team USA - BMW North America
    . I posted it at annoying car myths you've heard thread... | PriusChat. When I went back to edit the post, the BMW link was lost and just became regular text, while the CR link was fine.

It's easily repro. If I click Edit, in the edited version, sure enough, the link's undergone the loss. I also was able to repro in this post.

I also noticed more feature loss. In vBulletin, one could enter a title for each reply to thread. There seems to be no way w/this software. :(

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Setting my default to read threads in newest->oldest order?

In the world of problems, this is just a personal preference. The old system let me set thread reading so I started with most recent and could quickly scan down. I found it much easier than always starting with the oldest post and having to jump to the end.

Is there any possibility that feature might show up again?

I am growing to like "Alerts" and do appreciate what a monumental task it was.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would seem a little far fetched. And anyway, one person's posts are not crucial to such a big group as this. It seems that the most important stuff is well repeated.

What does happen is that something just plain incorrect gets posted, and deleting it is just doing a favor for anyone who comes along later to read the thread. I am still learning...

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, users deleting their own posts seemed to be disallowed when we were on vBulletin (it's not that vBulletin didn't allow it, but rather the Danny didn't allow it).

However, here on Priuschat under vBulletin, I've seen posters go back and delete their posts by just changing them to "deleted" (or something to that effect) or a single period. :/

I hope this next issue hasn't been posted yet as I don't have the bandwidth to keep up w/all the posts here.

If links lead to somewhere beyond page 1 of a thread, one gets sent to page 1. Example: if you Bing or Google for for site: priuschat.com bwilson4web gasoline tests shell
    (you'll need to remove the space between the : and p), if you click on the link that leads to page 41
    Code:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/64211-warning-running-out-gas-gen-iii-41.html
    , one will get sent to page 1 of the new thread on this site.

I don't know if this is easily fixable by Danny. I'm not sure if pages from vBulletin can map cleanly to pages on this new software.

6. Hi Danny, Nice job on the site, I know you worked long and hard to reprogram. I have one problem. I am using a IPad and cannot get smileys anymore, am I missing something? TY

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm still playing around with those tabs to get them to work the way I want. The PiP forum is one of them. Thanks for pointing it out, though!

8. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A smiley free zone is not a bad thing.

Stev0 likes this.
  9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is funky. I have no idea why it would do that, but I'll do some poking around.
    I'm trying to see what I can do to bring back this functionality. I had no idea so many people used that sorting method.
    It actually happened to us one night. A very knowledgable poster got mad one night over a moderation decision and went back and edited all of his posts to just be "." That deleted a LOT of useful information from the site that not many other people had. Shortly after that, all edits were logged so that moderators can go back in and restore the post in case something like that happens again.

The same is true with this new forum software - each edit is logged and a history is kept.

That is a Nginx re-write problem, apparently. If anyone is good at converting Apache rewrites to Nginx, send me a PM, or "Conversation" as they are called on this new software.
    I'll have to take a look at that on my iPad later today. Thanks for reporting it.

10. cmrj

cmrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another vote to restore this feature. It makes it much more convenient to be able to click on a thread and see the recent replies that have been posted since the last time I looked at the thread. Thanks.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's happened 3-4 times to me.
    It's NOT happening at any other website I visit.
    But since this changeover, I've now had 3-4 occasions at Prius Chat where the whole thing will simply freeze.
    I can do nothing to reset or re-awaken, ctrl alt delete won't even work. I'm forced to shut down just to get my computer working again.
    Since it only seems to be happening occasionally upon visits to the "new" Prius Chat, I wondered if anyone else would admit to having this happen to them.

12. StockBlak11

StockBlak11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just wanted to thank you for the work you've put in. So far I've posted one message, so I haven't really had a chance to get bug-bitten yet, if there are any floating around out there. But so far, it LOOKS really nice. The work you put in shows. Thanks. [h/w+s/w: Lenovo Intel Quad Core, 8 GB memory, 320 GB HD, Linux Fedora Core + Firefox 11.0]

13. BDDave

BDDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What prompted this change in Prius Chat? Was there a problem with the old style? Go back to the old, I don't like this new one.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I too have been having system freeze problems. Just had to restart Windows Explorer upon hitting Post Reply for this post. I am using XP.

The Electric Me likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything has been working fine for me, as far as i can tell.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please relax about this change. I've had enough experience with vBulletin to suggest, in the politest way possible, please don't wish for a return to that package. Seriously, the problems of this software are but 'ghosts' compared to vBulletin.

Bob Wilson

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's never happened here. What if you hit Ctrl-Shift-Escape and leave the Task Manager up while browsing?

Have you checked your event logs to see if there's anything interesting around the time you're hitting lockups? What OS (including "bitness") and browser (w/version) are you using?

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One other enhancement would be to allow us to list more than one Prius model. I've overloaded my address field to show the 2003 but it might be useful to have all Prius listed with each owner. Certainly, a future mileage database should allow multiple cars per owner.

Bob Wilson

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Progress, my friend. :D

20. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure if this is consistently happening but it seems to me that once I've read a thread, in total, and then I come back to the the mail PiP forum it may, or may not, have marked the thread as 'read'. I know that sometimes someone slips a reply in as I'm reading and so there actually is new entry that I haven't read. But that doesn't always seem to be the case. I know in the old format, it was very easy to see those threads that I had read and it was reliably accurate.

Overall, nice working site. Thanks for the upgrade.

radio