1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Welcome to the new PriusChat! Post your questions, bugs, suggestions here

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, May 30, 2012.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rebound, that does sound like a Tapatalk bug. I'll let the developer know.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see. They need to convert " into &quot

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of the 1600 pixels wide that I am playing with on this monitor, 540 are used for the actual post text. 18 pixels for the scroll bar. So 540 / (1600 - 18) = 34.1%. 34% of my screen is actually displaying useful info. About 880pixels is displaying a blank gradient with no content to the left or right. 880 / (1600 - 18) = 55%.

55% of the screen is completely wasted.

Also it is really difficult to find when the last post on a thread was. This should be much more prominent.

4. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, looks cool, but I was a senior member, and now I am a new member, what gives?

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, Danny, did you check out the display issue in my earlier post in this thread (#367)? Still shows Text 1 Text 1 Text 1 Text 1 in the header.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Although I agree that the screen-estate is sparse, we can mitigate it by shrinking the window:
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps not an optimum solution, shrinking the window width provides some relief.

Bob Wilson

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This screen-estate issue is a tempest in a teapot, at least in the width department. In the old days, web pages were written in mostly unformatted HTML, and the text would re-flow as one changed the width of a window.

As screen graphics became more sophisticated, the free flowing text tended to be an issue. It often looked bad.

Nowadays, most web developers are using formatting tools that provide more control of screen layout. The good news is the the presentation more closely follows the designer's intention. The bad news is that it is designed for a fixed width of display. The borders will adjust to fill up the extra space.

Love it or hate it, that's the way that many new pages display. This BBS system is one of them. Adjust your window size appropriately and use the remaining screen real estate for other programs.

Tom

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've written many websites, and the beauty of CSS is that you can scale widths with images if you code properly. Lazy coding results in this kind of crap.

Resizing a window is crazy as that gets rid of half of your screen.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it seems this software is missing the auto-search for similar titles when posting. I recall vBulletin did that, in order to help prevent new threads being opened when there were existing ones.

It definitely caused some old thread resurrection but I found it helpful.

Missing feature?

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, currently missing. There is currently an add-on to put the feature back in, but I don't like the execution and am waiting on something different to come available.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    with 20 pages of posts, I don't know if this has been reported yet or not...
    The search functionality doesn't seem to be working 100%. I ran a search today with the following criteria:
    Keyword: Blank
    Posted by member: eagle33199
    Newer than: 2007-02-01
    Search in forums: All Forums
    Search child forums as well: checked

I would have expected this to return 4000+ posts. However, it returned less than 200 (nothing older than Oct 2010 was returned).

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eagle33199, I'll take a look at that. Not sure what's up with that.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know you guys have put a LOT of hard work into the new site, but I'm still struggling with it. I'm not too computer literate but think I'm using a late or latest verson of software and yet I have big trouble with the site not responding or windows not responding when I go to Priuschat and often the new ad choices just hang or freeze before any ads show. This causes the who page to freeze resulting in a screen refresh a number of times before things either free up and work OR completely mess up. I don't recall this happening on the old version - though that had its own problems.

I may not be the best member on here but I used to do a fair number of posts and thought I could be helpful sometimes, but since the update I just find the whole thing too hard to use; hard as in lots of hassle as noted above, rather than hard to find what I'm looking for - though that too is a small issue. I'm sure if you check my postings you'll note a definite drop with the new site.

Maybe I'm a luddite still using Windows IE? or an 3 year old laptop or maybe the site doesn't like international software versions? but somethings still not right. I'm crossing my fingers when I press Post Reply that it will work and not just freeze as happens half the time.

:(

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Grumpy, I have absolutely no issues with the new software from a stability standpoint. It runs rock solid with no errors, timeouts, or other evil issues.

Given that, I suspect your problems might stem from older software on your computer. At the very least, you should update your browser to the newest version.

Tom

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm using ie with no problems except today and a couple other times i couldn't connect at all getting the '505 bad gateway' page. it takes a half hour or so to connect. other than that, it's been lightning fast.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, me too!
    It has happened twice, Mondays both times if I remember correctly. So I put it aside and come back later ... problem goes away.

I'll do a 'traceroute' when it is working and another when it comes back. Hopefully this will identify the fault.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  17. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can we fix my displayed username?
    "hooktern" is incorrect; it is "h00ktern"

The login has it correct; no issues there.

EVO ? 2

Edit: Fixed within hours!

18. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet (sorry if it's a duplicate), but I notice that the first post on each page is "squashed" width-wise and use only a little more than half of the post area - maybe about 60% - with a really wide right margin. Subsequent posts are more spread out and use all of the post area, taking into account normal left and right margins. This is consistent from page to page, and even on threads that are long enough to go to a second or third page.

It mostly doesn't matter. But sometimes if there's a really long post or someone quotes a really long post, it's quite annoying.

19. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry - I miss my old PriusChat... the new site has a "plasticy" look to it. With too much noise and not enough of the core information. Definitely more advertisment.

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Well, advertising is a way to support the forum and many people involved with it