1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Welcome to the new PriusChat! Post your questions, bugs, suggestions here

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, May 30, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And choking up peoples machines (like mine) who get fed up pressing Refresh a number of times before they can gain access to the site.

Not everyone who accesses this site works in technology with the latest super computer to process all the multiple ads, facebook and twitter links. My computer is just a basic 3 year old laptop running the upto date software and this site is now dreadful to use.

Sure the old Priuschat had issues but this new one does too - still. I appreciate the hard work going on to get things corrected but I hope they take into account that not everyone has a $3,000 machine to access it, or all that hard work with the ads will be in vain!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Grumpy, that may explain the difference in our experiences. The advertising was a problem even with the old site - I turned it off years ago. I understand that advertising pays for "free" services, but there is a balance in the trade. It buggered up the site so badly that it wouldn't work.

Since I block all advertising, perhaps I don't see the same problems as you.

Tom

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Is it there a choice for "Advertising free usage" of PriusChat?

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not on the site, but it is always an option to block Internet advertising. Just use Adblock or some such plug-in with your web browser.

Tom

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's one I noticed today. If I click on a thread title, it jumps to the first unread post (or last post in the thread if no unread posts). I'm not referring to the button to the left of the title which indicated there's new posts and jumps to the first new post.

In the old forum format--and other forums I frequent--if you click on a thread title, it takes you to the original post of the thread, which is convenient (compared how this forum now does it) when you want to start reading a thread from the beginning (that you may have previously passed over).

6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even a basic tablet made within the last few years should be more than powerful enough to process a forum like PriusChat in a reasonable time. The issue with some ads has more to do with the ad server and sometimes incompatibility issues.

PriusChat has a fewer ads than most automotive forums and is far less cluttered with advertising of any type. Please keep in mind that some ads pay every time they appear, while others pay only when clicked. So, even by blocking them, you remove some of the primary source of revenue that independent websites use to pay for signifciant hosting costs.

Obviously, if you can't get a site to work without blocking ads, you really have no choice. Personally, I figure if I like a website enough to visit at least weekly, I don't mind allowing the ads to appear.

I have an 8-year old notebook HP ZD7000 with Windows XP SP3 that runs PriusChat fine on an old Pentium4 with 1GB memory. I know that on my website, sometimes people have issues related to specific ads that are not served globally to all users, but to targeted ones ones based on geographic location, browsing history or other factors. Those tend to be much harder to troubleshoot for causing problems.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ad servers are the devil's work.

:confused:

Tom

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I don't like it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there more advertising? Banner at top and bottom at small one on the side below the scroll. Seems about the same from the previous software.

I don't count Prius Chat Shop as an ad as it's the company store. And that was there before also.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you referring to the new BBS software or the old BBS software? The old software was broken, so it needed to be fixed. This wasn't a capricious or cosmetic change; the old system couldn't support the current number of users.

Tom

11. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question: I had trouble creating an album, so eventually created another with a similar name. I would like to know if there is a way to delete the empty album? :sick:

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has something been done to sort out the ads as the last few times the site now loads much quicker for me and is stable too. Not had windows find a fault with the page and have to reboot for a while now either. :)

The smileys are still dreadful though :)

13. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we address the issue of sending messages, as I see the feature is gone and replaced with "conversation". I've tested. And the people I start a conversation with don't get the messag

14. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Windows? Windows the operating system should not be finding any "faults". If you are getting Window operating system errors with any website, you might need to upgrade your Windows install. A website should never be able to create operating system errors.

A browser may have problems. IE in particular has odd requirements to the point many websites will ban its use vs. having to put up with people having IE issues and requesting help. Easy enough for people to switch to Chrome or Firefox on Windows machines.

Smiley's are the work of the devil and only people possessed by evil use them, so that's a different issue.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (y)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they may be dreadful smiley's, but thier our smiley's!:love:

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Of all the changes in the new software vs. the old, this is the most annoying--and counter intuitive. Please fix this! :cry:

19. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Danny,

Have you had any chance to evaluate that add-on? I don't imagine it could be very complex.

I am also wondering whether there is any similar shorthand in XenForo that lets you refer to a form thread or post from a wiki entry, or vice versa. I would really love to see the wiki take off (I just got done adding yet another forum post with the same information in umpteen existing forum posts) ... and it will help to make it as easy as possible to link existing information in both directions.

I've never worked on XenForo myself, but if similar software is any indication then the work of adding shorthand link codes (even without an "add-on" for it) shouldn't be more than a few lines of PHP in the right place, and probably easier than that.

-Chap