1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well... I crashed! Advice please :-(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bronze84, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Utterly utterly gutted...

To cut a long story short. Was at a TO Junction which had a filter road for cars turning left. Car in front started to move then braked and I went into the back of it. So was my fault :-(

Anyhow, I need advice please guys. This is my first insurance claim. Below is a pic of the damage, which from what I can see is headlight, bumper, arch, arch lining, and maybe passenger door as it won't open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My insurers have referred me to a repair centre called 'Autorestore' who will call me tomorrow. It will have to be collected as the wheel arch is rubbing against the wheel.

How do I know these aren't cowboys?

Any advice most appreciated :-(

P's I'm in the UK

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    looks repairable to me

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you probably don't know if they are "Cowboys" or not.

Unfortunately just not familiar enough with UK insurance laws. But in the US the insurance companies cannot force you to go to any specific provider for services. You can pick your own body shop. They (The Insurance Companies) can recommend, or have recommended providers, and sometimes they entice you to use them by promising "Life Time" guarantees on the work IF you choose them but basically you have the freedom to pick whichever shop you want.

Don't know how it works in the UK.

On the positive side, I'd say that looks very, very restorable.

I suppose you could just do your own internet search and try to find reviews in regards to the place you are being recommended to...or just ask your insurer what your options are...

It may all be okay, and turn out okay...even if the whole process becomes a PIA.

Bronze84 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm concerned that a bump on the front left has worked all the way through to the passenger door.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sucks for sure. Looks like the left fender is pushed back against the door. I hope there is no frame damage, but the fender is definitely shifted.

Sorry to hear it happened, but you know what they say. S**t happens.

Don't worry about it. That is what insurance is for. Next time leave a little more room in front of you. You never know when the guy in front is going to stop quickly. :eek:

Ron

Bronze84 and PLSPUSH like this.
  6. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

or, BACK UP! I've now had this happen twice. Neither time did the culprit try to weasel out of admitting that he (both were he's) had been at fault. I let one guy go and the other one nobly admitted it was his fault and then jumped in the car and took off. It was my other car, however, so it was hard to be that upset about a Corolla. Had it been the Prius, that would have been an entirely different matter.

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Aren't passengers on the left side over there?

bisco likes this.
  8. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I was trying to figure this out myself!

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IIRC, the UK cars are driven from the right hand side of the car, and the passengers sit on the left. They also drive on the left hand side of the road. Basically it is opposite of what goes on in the USA.

Why do some countries drive on the right and others on the left ?

Ron

10. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, UK cars are opposite to US. So my drivers side is your passenger side and vice versa

The answer to some other questions...

1) The passenger door won't open as the panel gap between the arch and door has closed up.

2) I didn't need to 'back up' as I left plenty of room when at the junction. It is a really tight bend where this junction is and the car in front started to go forward and then she hesitated and hit her brakes. At the same time I was readying to go by looking right for any other cars. It's not as if I haven't admitted it was me at fault.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Things like this happen all of the time. It is probably because we are used to a fast paced life. I have been rear ended twice. Once at a stop sign, and once at a red light. Both times it was because I had to stop quickly after traffic started up and then stopped. After that, I decided to leave more room and let other's get out in front of me a way before I go. I found it makes it a lot easier to read the traffic, and I really don't seem to lose any time plus I am not as stressed out once I arrive at the final destination.

Like I said earlier, S**t happens, and it happens a lot. It is part of life. At least only your Prius was hurt. Better it than you!

Cheers mate,
    Ron

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    duh.

13. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be glad you don't have a thermos behind that fender.

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, that is unfortunate. Lol, never heard the term "cowboys" before in that context. I guess I don't watch enough BBC programming. :D

SCH-I535

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice wheels and love the color though.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Martin, sorry to read of your accident, "been there myself" but you have the right in UK law to take the car anywhere you wish for repairs "the dealers if you prefer" and they will use all genuine Toyota parts. You do not have to go with your insurers preferred repairers.

This is the route I would take as the dealer will know how to keep both batteries and the hybrid system safe.

John (Britprius)

17. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will my insurers pay a dealership prices and pay them directly?

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ask your insurers point blank "can I take the car elsewhere".
    You can check but I am sure under UK law you have the right to take it to the dealer. The insurers will then visit the dealer and negotiate an agreed price and pay them direct.
    I'm afraid there is a downside in that the work will take longer but if you get a loan car does that matter.

John (Britprius)

19. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the insurance industry as vile and avaricious in the UK as it is in the US?

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Car insurance in the UK is generally good and competitive, possibly due to EU regulations and consumer laws. It is the young that have very high premiums due to the higher risks they statistically show to be prone to accidents.

John (Britprius)