1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well, I have been a Prius owner for almost 2 weeks.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChadInOKC, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ChadInOKC

ChadInOKC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am really digging this car. For those that missed my other thread, picked up a clean 2004 down in Texas with 113k miles back on the 19th. Been driving it like crazy. Feels like I am driving a computer around. haha.. I love filling up for $25!

I finally had some extra time today and knocked out all the maintenance I think I need.

• Fixed the clicking/sticking shift lever (trimmed that dust shield inside)
    • Fixed the busted spring on the top glove box, now it works!
    • Changed the cabin filter and air filter.
    • 12v batter still tests good from the check procedure I found on youtube on the MFD.
    • New Bosch Icon wipers
    • Ordered a new set of tail lights (one of my LED banks is almost dead, might as well replace them both)
    • Drain and fill on the eCVT. The old fluid looked purple to me. Didn't stink too bad. Not much junk on the magnet on the drain plug.
    • Changed the oil. Went with 5w30 valvoline synthetic with a toyota filter.
    • Changed the accessory belt, went with a Dayco belt.
    • Changed spark plugs. Went back with Denso SK16R11's, the old one were old but looks pretty good still.
    • Changed the PCV valve. Old one still rattled around, but might as well get a new one right? haha
    So, there it is. Easy to work on in my opinion. I feel sorry for my Tundra. I had to drive it around a little yesterday and today while I had the car torn apart. ;)

donbright, Prius_Cub and JimboPalmer like this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its a great car. You got a good deal. Take care of it and it will take care of you. OK has about the perfect weather and terrain for the Prius (flat and it doesn't get too hot (relatively speaking)). Now you should read all you can about hypermiling, gliding and such. I can tell you're enjoying your car. Good for you!!!!

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to keep up on the maintenance. Any reason why you went with 5w30 instead of 0w20? I run 0w20 all seasons in Colorado, so you will be fine in OK with it.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds good. Nice job. That's exactly what you should have done. Only thing more I would have done is the under dash ac e-coil cleaning since you had the car up on stands. And clean the ac condenser too. Remove the top plastic black engine/rad cover so you can see the face of the condenser. Buy the can of aerosol AC coil cleaner at Home D and hose the face of condenser down with that cleaner.
    Gently brush out bugs. Let sit and then hose out. Will greatly improve ac efficiency and keep the condenser from corroding.

That and the transmission resolver connector to the transmission is worth special attention. Its an electrical plug right above the 2 smaller coolant hoses that enter and leave the trans together. It faces forward. Given your year Good idea to remove the plug and look for corrosion in both ends and flush out and apply contact conditioner.
    If that connector rots out its new trans time.

And lastly most important to flush out and replace the Inverter coolant. Many instructions here on how to do it very easy and you may see a bump in mpg's.

Good Luck with your car.

ITBland likes this.
  5. ChadInOKC

ChadInOKC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well, I had a $5 off coupon for Valvoline. I use the Mobil1 0w20 in my truck, so maybe I will switch it up later on.

6. ChadInOKC

ChadInOKC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I had not heard of the ac e-coil cleaning or cleaning the condenser. I will check into that. I had also not heard of checking that tranny resolver connector. I will add that to my list too.

The Inverter coolant still looks really nice and pink. Toyota says they changed it at 80k miles
    02TOZ024 11/28/2011 HYBRID COOLANT SERVI CHANGE ENGINE AND HYBRID INVERTE R COOLANT AND BLEED BOTH SYSTEMS ~|~ ~|~COMPLETED
    PARTS

NAMEPART #QTY
    SUPER LONG LIFE C TO00272SLLC2 2

I figure that it should be ok for a while yet.