1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well I'm in day 5 of a 7 day testdrive of a Camry xle and...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rhizzlebop, May 30, 2012.

1. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really wanted to like the v, I tried to like it more than the Hycam. However, within 2 hours of having the camry (This one is not hybrid as noone rents those around here, but I'd be buying this same car in hybrid style xle) The small differences showed through for me. I wanted the v to be better since it has the bigger rear storage capacity, reclining rear seats, etc.

But after a short time I noticed the better steering feel of the camry, the slightly better positioned center leater covered console that just lets my elbow rest while reaching the steering wheel. Is effortless to tap te brake to kill the cruise, where the v felt like you were actually applying brake before the cruise would trip off The visor extensions. The leather seats are significantly more comfortable and more ergonomically appropriate to the human body. I can choose the upgraded preium nav without going to the full atp type package and price. The nice wood finishes around the center console and door controls is a nice touch. My gf likes the sunroof it has whereas the v has none without atp, and still it wont open. I culd care less about the sunroof at all. Also the actual seat i an inch longer, and if you push in on the lower rear padding of the seat you'll see a 2 inch length improvement over the v as the v has no give in the rear padding so you cant push that extra inch of depth. Its a net 2 inch of seat depth gain. My gf likes to, as I call it, "perch" on the seat with her feet up in the seat in front of her. My knee wont even bend that sharp nd if it did you'd have to take me to the hospital, but thats how she likes to ride. Her feet sit comfrtably in front of her in the camry, but wont hardly stay there in the v due to the shorter overall seat.

I'm not here to bash the v. In a way Im sad, because i've been reading and posting here since november and there is a lot more fun chatter here than in the hycam forum.
    I'm still slightly concerned about losing the rear hatch style and having a trunk, but I'm keeping my trailblazer so I can haul or tow with that. It was all the little things that a 10 minute test drive do not present that showed up after a week in the v and now a week in the camry.

Looks like the hycam lists a little higher than the v, but appears to have a bit more haggle room, so its nearly a wash.

I do hope i'll be able to average at least low 40s in the xle hybrid camry. I averaged around 45 for the wek I had the v just driving normally, but very easy. Meaning, I don't know any pulse glide techneques, I just took it easy on acceleration, and dont rush/race to redlights and averaged that 45.
    I think with even a bit of technique I should be well into the mid 40s with the camry and I'll be happy with that.

I'll prob still post here some because you guys are an active bunch of posters and its fun. If only the hycam forum could become this active and interesting.

2. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid Camry is a great car. The drivetrain is one of the best non-performance drivetrains I've ever had the pleasure of driving (if they put that 2.5HSD in the Lexus CT, I would definitely be giving up the fantastic cargo space of the v). The v works for me, the Camry Hybrid works for others. Both are fantastic cars.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you will find the hycam even better than the regular camry. after 3 camry's, we found our 08 hycam to be smoother, quieter and more comfortible. all the best!