1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

well it happened

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by red07gen2, Apr 20, 2016.

1. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Well I put up with this happening 3 or 4 times, kept clearing out the codes, they pop up close and closer till finally this happened in a parking lot down from the house I cleared the code out and then starting filming and this happened.
    Long story short, the drive battery had gone bad. I found a repair shop that had an OEM toyota battery 6 months old with less than 500 miles. $2000 later I have a battery, an extra key fob programed, and a cover for the rear hatch. The mileage is about the same after as it was before, maybe 2 or 3 mpg more. But not sure if that is the new battery or the fact that the local gas station is carrying 88 octane, e15 gas ans I have been running it for 10 cents less per gallon.

on another note, I just rolled 191,000 tonight

#1 red07gen2, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! not bad for the south. did you get a new toyota battery for that price?

3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    The gradual decay of HV battery capacity manifests itself with a slow reduction in mileage. It's pretty common for folks to see a bump in mileage that they didn't realize they were missing.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm very dubious of claims such as those made by your shop. Did they provide any objective evidence of the age of the pack? Did they show you the module serial numbers to confirm the date of manufacture? Did they give you a warranty with it? It should be good until 12 months after the initial installation date.

I'm not saying they're liars, but I have encountered far more liars in the auto service industry than honest folk.

Whatever the case, I wish you the best.

Steve

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I call BS! It is highly unlikely that a Gen2 HV pack only has 500miles. Last production model year was 2009; some 2009 model years will have been sold in 2010 at a discount due to the new 2010 Gen3s hitting the market. Very dubious the OEM HV Battery is 6 years old (2016-2010 = 6).
    500miles / 6years = 83.3miles/year
    83.3miles/yr/12months/yr = 6.94miles/month.
    Does this seem realistic?

If you say yes, I have annoying relatives from Nigeria that have been trying to give me millions of dollars from some lotto they won, but can't cash. They just want my US banking info and some other identification to make this transaction happen, in exchange for a decent cut of this lotto. I also have annoying relatives in the UK trying to unload their UK lotto winnings. Hopefully my relatives haven't been contacting you too?

This shop forgot to tell you it was 500x10to the 2nd power (50,000) miles; this would be more believable.
    What color is the HV Battery case? Orange (Dorman rebuilt). Green (GreenTech, "new" oxymoron claims, but remanufactured). OEM Silver case color (who knows who rebuilt it).

My money is on fraud. No way 500miles on an OEM GEN2. You'll be back here w/in a year for a failed Hv Battery.

#4 exstudent, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Really Bisco? I'll have my annoying Nigerian and UK lotto winning relatives contact you. Ea$y money. What could go wrong?

#5 exstudent, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    ex, I'm with you, but it could have meant a new Toyota battery FOR a Gen2, not FROM a Gen2.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. Thats slightly more possible, but still hard to believe.

The shop said 500miles. So this has to mean they know for certain that this HV Battery was replaced at say 100,000miles under warranty or as a out-of-warranty replacement, at a Toyota dealership. This car had to become a parts car to logically make sense pulling a good battery out of a car, 500miles later. If the shop was smart and honest, they would have all this paperwork, and charge more than $500, say $1000. They could have gotten service paperwork, showing serial numbers, from the dealership that did the warranty or paid replacement work. Junk yard or owner parting the car out, would likely be able to show 100,500miles.

I think they meant to say 500 (to the second power of ten = 50,000) miles; more believable.

Fortunately not my money.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    exstudent, your scepticism continues to provide at least one PC member a hugh amount of entertainment.

What about this scenario, six months ago, a honest and ethical hybrid shop installed a new Toyota HV battery in a customer's car in good faith to fix a problem. The customer drove the car for 500 miles and returned with it as the replacement battery did not fix the problem. In good conscience the honest and ethical mechanic removed the new battery and reinstalled the customer's original battery. Having gone through the exercise, they were forced to look deeper and subsequently found the real cause of the problem and then fixed it, but are left with an almost new Toyota Battery.

I can understand your scepticism may be based on your experiences, but not everything falls in to your very narrow world view.

Everything is not always as it may seem and not every one needs to be told off and scolded because they don't fit into a particular world view.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Glad you enjoy. I thought my lotto winning relatives from Nigeria and the UK would add some absurd levity.

Only problem with your scenario is the core charge. How likely do you think a business would sit on a $1350 refundable core charge, (2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store), after transferring the needed parts from the old battery into the new battery.

Yes, anything is possible, but how likely?

10. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And thanks to your old HV battery, they now have another HV battery only 6 months old with 500 miles on it ;)

exstudent likes this.
  11. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So what all you are saying is that it is impossible to go get a brand new traction battery for a 2007 prius?
    Also you are telling me that said battery could not be installed in a 2007 prius such as mine?
    Then it would be IMPOSSIBLE for that car after fixed to be involved in anything that would cause it to not function any long? Such as a front end collision?\
    And finally all the disbelievers here on the site believe that there is then NO way to buy and install that battery out of an 07 with only 500 miles on the "new" battery in my prius???????????????????????????????????????????????
    So there is NO possible way for that to have happened, and i would not have the paperwork to document the prius it came out of the vin number of the donor vehicle and the warranty on the battery. So if you dont believe me then F off. I can on the forum to list a problem and a hopeful solution not be attacked by nothing better to do , loser , keyboard warriors, that dont know a phillips head from a visegrip.
    If you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all!
    To everyone else on the forum I am sorry for having to post this and hope it doesn't offend you, but to those with all the negative comments posted above , kick rocks I dont need you !

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Welcome back to the thread. Sit a spell.

No. They list for about $2600 from the dealer for a brand new battery.

Nope. Not saying that. Totally possible.

Nope. Not an impossibility at all.

If you do have that, it's rare. If you have actual evidence, then good for you. It's just that the situation you describe is so highly unlikely, that it brings the doubters out of the woodwork including myself.

No thank you. I can on the forum too... Whenever I can. I'll have you know I have intimate knowledge of said implements... Isn't a phillips a bulb and a vice grip something you wear to keep you away from your addictions?

You know this is the internet, right? It's the very epitome of free speech. Is "F off" your way of saying something nice? No thank you.

Now you're lying. You didn't have to post this. You WANTED to. You don't care if it offends them, or you would have behaved accordingly.

Have an excruciatingly pleasant day!

Steve

P.S. I still don't believe you. I would never believe anyone that told such a tall tale without me or someone I trust confirming appropriate module serial numbers. Papers can be faked.

Cooljourney likes this.
  13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did i hear the F-word? oh boy!

14. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    red07gen2 said:
    To everyone else on the forum I am sorry for having to post this and hope it doesn't offend you, but to those with all the negative comments posted above , kick rocks I dont need you !
    Now you're lying. You didn't have to post this. You WANTED to. You don't care if it offends them, or you would have behaved accordingly.

to prove my point this will be my last post and the last visit to this site, as i stated I DONT NEED YOU
    this IS the internet and this is not the only prius site out there....
    So Steve feel good about yourself and your negativity about not believing people.
    Break your arm patting yourself on the back
    I am canceling my account

15. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Bye. Sorry to see you go.

EDIT: While I still don't believe you were treated honestly, I hope you were. This isn't personal. There are just too many instances of people being ripped off for me to believe anything any garage tells anyone.

Good luck!