1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well Iv'e had my first snow drive in my 2014 Prius three and the car sucks in snow

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by heyphillip, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Michelin X-Ice for me. No problems so far, getting around in up to a foot of snow.
    Worse winter in years west Michigan

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the factory style Michelin tires on my 2010. It is hands down the worst front wheel drive vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. It is so squirrely and leaves you with almost no confidence even at lower speeds. I will try different tires before I decide to sell the car but this winter has lowered my faith in this car even more.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If you are seriously rocking 5 year old stock tires you can't really complain about snow performance!

I mean I have no issues with my Bridgestone touranza stock tires on my persona this winter, but they are only 4 months old....

5 year old tires prob have crap traction in dry weather as well.

On a side note the only car I've ever owned that almost gave me a heart attack and I swear wanted to kill me the first time in the snow (totally unexpected but luckily 5 miles from home) was my old SVT Ford Focus. Pure terror..

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you still have the original factory tires?

If so, that is your problem. They are worn out, as least in regards to winter performance. The factory tires (of another brand) that came on my 2010 Prius were decent during Winter 2009-2010, but were significantly degraded by Winter 2010-2011, and absolute garbage by Winter 2011-2012. I 'fixed' them by upgrading to a new higher level 2012 Prius. Alas, its factory tires have also degraded to garbage in winter now, and not good in ordinary rain either. This isn't much different than every new car I've ever purchased.

My other rig has a seasonal set of true winter tires, which are much better than any of the factory 'all-season' tires that came on any of my household's cars.

#104 fuzzy1, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

What specific tires do you have, and how much tread depth is left on them? If you don't know either statistic, that's part of the problem. No well-worn all season is going to do good in snow.

6. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you mean with snow tires mounted?

7. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep just installed them on my 2014 Prius great tires almost close to having all wheel drive