1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well that wasn't fun

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 4, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

When picking up a late night charge, the nearest bar turned out to have a different, goal, ad hoc dating. Understand I'm a 67 year old, fat, bald headed man, severely married, who finds surfing PriusChat with an adult beverage the highlight of his day.

Usually between 10 PM and midnight, I take our two dogs to the work parking lot to go 'squirrel hunting.' Surrounded by various nut trees, it has a population of squirrel, tree and ground, and the occasional rabbit. At night, most of the critters are asleep but our dogs can smell them and have great fun asking 'Which way did they go?' and of course pee and poop. This means I won't wake up in the morning with doggie gifts. But due to errands on Friday, the Bimmer was down to ~25 miles and I wanted to put a charge on it.

Downtown we have a fast DC charger that in 30 minutes will easily bring the SOC to 90%. The next block has a late night bar with WiFi so what could go wrong?

The band was taking a break and I got a seat next to a lady at the bar. She had her cell phone out and I fired up PriusChat on mine and monitored the charging. So far, OK, then she has a chair-bar stool failure and nearly falls but is caught by the crowd. Everything settles down and other than minor small talk, I'm back on PriusChat . . . then a guy approaches me. Wth!!!

Well the Bimmer was above 85% and I wasn't there for any other reason. Paid my bill and headed to the door just as the band struck LOUD. Now to figure out how to signal 'car talk' . . . perhaps a car logo wind breaker?

Bob Wilson

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that there's anything wrong with that!:cool:

m.wynn likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Fixed it for ya...

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    LOL !
    Bob that Takes the Cake. You just reminded me of Crocodile Dundee

With your story in mind, I think I might just stay in the car while I'm receiving my next leach/free charge - tomorrow morning, at the Chapman University satellite campus just a couple blocks away ... in case someone hits on me

The supercharger refills at ~ 300mph - but the new plugin seldom if ever even needs more than an extra 100 miles - or 20 minutes. So the 'problem' is the mall is 12 minutes away by freeway ... 24 minutes RT + that puts an additional 20 miles on the car unless She-who-must-be-obeyed lets me take it to work.
    In the mean time, the university's 240v lets us leach @ ~10kW's. So with the 24 minute supercharger round trip, + 20 minutes for 100miles - it works better to just leach off the university's slow system for an hour, 2x or 3x a week, & walk/poop the dog around the school area. Saves on odometer mileage & we don't have to spend our solar surplus !

PS - it did weird me out some 3 decades ago working at Disney. One of the male dancers said to me, "so Gary, when are we going out?" I politely explained it will never get that cold in July. (eeeuuuwww!)

Strange thing is - he knew the gal i was dating at the time ..... one of the runners up for Ms Calif. Problem was she never told me some minor details - like about her HUSBAND (stationed back in Camp Lejeune). She was definitely Crazy.
    As you say, "Well that wasn't fun"

#4 hill, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017