1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well there's your problem!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bsoft, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bsoft

bsoft New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 15 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]286761[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect that the airbag depoyed fully - it didn't catch on anything. Without the pressure of the expanding gasses, my guess would be that it simply "deflated".

The front-seat side airbag didn't deploy because there was no one in the front passenger seat. The 2006 Prius has advanced airbags, including a seat weight sensor, so the airbag will not deploy unless there is a person of sufficent weight in the seat (this is to protect childeren and babies from the airbag because many people don't listen to the instructions about not putting car seats in the front passenger seat).

The curtain airbag protects both the first and second rows of seating, and because there is no occupancy sensor in the rear seat, the best action is to deploy it.

My airbags did not deploy because of the direction of the crash - had I been hit on my side of the vehicle, they would have deployed.

Smart car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 15 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]286972[/snapback]</div>
    No, the passenger impact airbag did not deploy, probably because there was no one in the seat.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 15 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]286752[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

Glad no one was hurt. So, if I may ask, who got the ticket? You or the other party?

And, yeah, I hope your frame was not bent, as stated earlier.

3. bsoft

bsoft New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 15 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]287051[/snapback]</div>
    I got a 3-point $75 traffic infraction for "failing to yield to oncoming traffic when making a left turn". I believe that the other party might have been speeding, but that's not unusual for the area (the speed limit is 30, but most traffic - myself included - does 35 to 40 regularly). I didn't see the other vehicle until it was too late, and I don't know if the other driver hit the brakes or not, but it's pretty clear that it was my fault.

In my city, any accident where vehicles touch results in an automatic court appearence. Mine is coming up next Wednesday.

4. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know who's fault it is really----Taco Bell's!!! If they didn't make their crappy food so desirable at times, we wouldn't go there in the first place. I would sue them and their stupid Chihuaha mascot.

Glad your safe and a testament to how safe the Prius is.

5. bsoft

bsoft New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 15 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]286811[/snapback]</div>
    We have done exactly this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 15 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]286811[/snapback]</div>
    They (State Farm) are far too smart for that to work. They already know:
    • The probability that you will get in another accident
    • The probability that there will be injuries
    • The probability that you will sue them
    • The average settlement
    • The probability that you will refuse to settle
    • The probability that you will win if you go to court
    • The average amount that they will pay if you win
    I have several friends who are attorneys, one of whom has fought insurance companies. It all comes down to dollars and cents, and they have already run the numbers.

Absolutely. One possibilty that we are looking at is selling the vehicle and getting a 2007, but, of course, this will run at least $7k and will complicate the tax credit situation.

Again, absolutely correct. However, both of our other vehicles don't even have side airbags. IIHS tests show a significant chance of head injuries in a collision like the one I was in with a vehicle without side airbags. With side airbags, the chance of serious head injuries is minimal. We must compare the risk of driving the Prius (with a potentially compromised safety cage) versues the risks we face every day driving the vehicles which we previously considered safe. I would rather drive this Prius (after it has been repaired) than either of our other vehciles.

If safety were the only consideration, we wouldn't be driving a Prius. All else equal, vehicles that are heavier perform better in multi-vehicle crashes.

Unfortunately, getting a straight answer is difficult. We have had multiple body shops evaluate the vehicle, as well as an independent assessor. All have said that the vehicle can be repaired. At this point, we have little choice but to trust the experts. State Farm will not total the vehicle; our only options are to either accept the repairs or take a check for the repair value (approx. $14k).

I guess the most important thing that I learned here was the importance of side airbags. It is easy to see what kind of injuries might have happened without side airbags (had there been a passenger in the Prius), and once you've had a crash you realise just how likely it really is. Crashes happen far more often than we would like to believe. I now tell my friends the following:
    • Make safety a top priority when you purchase a vehicle.
    • Check safety ratings (NHTSA and IIHS) before you buy. "Acceptable" is not acceptable. Four stars is not good enough.
    • It doesn't generally cost more to get a vehicle that is a top performer (you don't need to buy a Lexus or a Volvo), so it doesn't make sense to get one that isn't
    • Side airbags should not be optional. They are far too effective and far too cheap. If all of Kia's, Hyundai's, and Honda's lineup (including the $13k Fit) can have them, why can't every car?
    • Always, always buckle up. Decreasing your chance of death by 1/3 to 1/2 for free? Sounds like a win to me.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 16 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]287096[/snapback]</div>
    All very true. However, I am STILL a bit concerned about the aggressiveness(?) of the driver's front airbag. I am 5" tall. The owner's manual says, well, you should be ok if the center of the steering wheel is at least 10" away from the center of your chest. This is EXCEEDINGLY difficult for me to manage, and still reach the pedals. When DH bought himself a BMW for his 50th 6 years ago, we could not afford any used one later than a '91 because, in 2000, we could not risk having me in the front seat of a car with a passenger airbag whose force of deployment could not be controlled. As it is, I have to have the steering wheel tilted at an angle that is not the most comfortable for me to get it as far away from me as I can. And, while I am not obese (according to Weight Watchers, which I have just rejoined after many years of absence, I am just about at the top "acceptable" end of the weight range for my height), I certainly do not weigh little enough for the sensors to realize that I AM short...I guess I just will continue to hope that I never need to check out if the airbag will break my neck before the accident does...

I was in one semi-serious accident before. It was a single car spin out that totalled my then 3 or so year old '91 Civic (very base model) hatchback. I walked away from that just fine, except for the seatbelt shaped bruises over several cracked ribs. The GOOD news was that the insurance co. paid off almost as much as I had paid for the new car!

The 3 point license hit in your area sounds a REAL bummer--pretty literally adding insult to injury. And then to make you go to court on top of it, well, man, that really is over the top, isn't it? What is the purpose of that if you are not trying to deny liability?

Anyway, it is very good to hear that physically you seem to have come out of this great, all things considered. Too bad about the psychological hits you keep getting--and I hope you come out through those as well as you seem to be so far.

7. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

I can sympathize with your situation. I was sideswiped by a drunk driver in June. The scary part was that I had just parallel parked and was about to step out of the car. Fortunately my car was totaled, which is why I am now waiting for my new Prius.

[​IMG]

Even though the car was 5 years old the adjusters thought it could be repaired, until they learned the unibody side panel was crimped in at the door post, and behind the rear door. The body shop can apparently replace the *entire* side unibody panel, eliminating any micro-crimps that may exist in the metal.

Had the car not been totaled, I was told by my insurance company that I can seek a claim of "loss of value". (which would be paid for by the other driver, in my case).

I happened to discuss my accident with a 'first responder' and he told me that despite the apparent light damage, this can be the worst type of accident for inducing head injuries. There is almost no metal to absorb impact and protect the occupant(s). I did strike my head, but because of the airbag (and well designed Volvo seats) all I had was soreness on the left side of my head for about a week.

When I got my rental car, I became very aware of the distance between my head and the door post. The Ford Focus I was given as a rental had was just over a hand's width between my head and the post, too close for comfort. The headrest was rather plain looking. My (former) Volvo had a nice wrap-around headrest, and ample distance between the head and door post.

Airbags are a MUST for my new car!

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jul 16 2006, 04:07 AM) [snapback]287095[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I showed these pictures to my boyfriend to warn him of the possible consequences of going to Taco Bell!

Seriously though, that's a real bummer. Glad nobody was hurt though.

9. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 16 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]287090[/snapback]</div>

Wow. In our area, police generally will not even respond unless there is an injury or traffic lanes are blocked (maybe).

Let us know how the repairs go, and hopefully there will be no residual injuries.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jul 16 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]287223[/snapback]</div>
    I THINK that that is all of CA--with the emphasis on the "maybe," as far as ANY response goes...but dmv sure gets stroppy if they don't hear about this stuff regardless...

11. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 16 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]287241[/snapback]</div>
    Sad. I have the feeling law enforcement goes after the easy tickets to meet their 'targets', then tries to avoid dealing with traffic issues. Any law enforcement on the board to offer an alternate opinion?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 16 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]287241[/snapback]</div>
    I really like the quote.....I'll resist the urge to comment further!

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jul 17 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]287472[/snapback]</div>
    Probably a wise decision, but I'm not sure... :rolleyes:

13. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

Dont accept a 'repair'. That Prius is TOATALED ! if your insurance wont total it, make SURE every tiny screw and seal is Genuine Toyota and repaired at an Toyota Dealer. This will make repairing your Prius more expensive than a new one sells for. Insurance just bought you a new Prius. dont accept anything less.