1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Went to look at a used Volt today

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by silvergenII, Jun 4, 2016.

1. silvergenII

silvergenII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2007 GenII Prius but I'm thinking about upgrading to an EV for commuting I have about a 12 mile commute One way with no charging ability at work.

I'm a big guy, 6 foot three 300+ pounds and I doubt I could fit into a Volt on a daily basis. As it is there is a certain amount of twisting to get in the Prius. But I have owned one for two years, and had an office car for one so I know that dance well. When I tried to sit in the Volt I could not get in without bumping my head or shoulders which meant that it was a very short visit at the dealership.

My next visits are to go look at a PIP Or a C max energi and see how I fit in one of those. It's a shame I like the idea/concept of the Volt, perhaps I should go back and look at a new one instead. In the meantime I'll just roll on the miles in my Gen II.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...try a v too?

3. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, but A v? As in Prius V?

4. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2016/2017 Volt isn't much improved in the interior space department

5. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It isn't even the interior space that was the issue. It was simply getting into the car, the doorway is too narrow; short of figuring out the proper contortions I won't get in or out comfortably.
    That's not unique to the Volt, I have the same problem with a 2003 Buick Century, I'm fine once I get past the doorjamb.

dbcassidy likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    C-max should be better; I think most of its extra passenger volume over the Prius goes to headroom. Then the Fusion should have longer doors.

Is two cars an option? An used Leaf can be had cheap from the sounds of it, and it sounds like you wouldn't be pushing the battery of even one with reduced capacity.
    No plug.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The lower case "v" the Prius "wagon" version

I was going for fit, We are hoping for v Prime plug in.
    Well in that case of a Plug, wait a few months for Chrysler minivan plugin (Pacifica)?

8. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! I'm already at two cars... Three if you count the Buick which is leaving as soon as my FEH gets back on the road. Two drivers with a teenager itching to get his license soon.
    My plan is to fix the escape for the wife, keep the gen II for the teenager and then get myself a 'bridge' car until I can get a Model 3 Tesla. I was trying on the Volt for size.

I'll have to go find a CMax and see if I fit I that.

I'll look into a leaf as well, the daily commute wouldn't be bad.

Thanks, see above but I'm looking to go more EV aiming for a Tesla once the model 3 production ramps up. A Prius v wouldn't help much.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK but we have our fingers crossed for v Prime (Plug in version) ...but chances are iffy so far

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With three cars at the home, having one a BEV shouldn't be a problem with the potential of car juggling.

I see winter range loss would be a concern for you, but even the smart ED and iMiEV should be able to do your commute alone.

What about buying out of state and shipping, or even driving, it to you? Bob W. just did so here for an i3 REX. I know you need to test fit the car, but most, if not all, have a regular car version that you can sit test. I was thinking the Spark EV had good reviews, and it has a longer range than the Leaf to start.

11. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My round trip commute is only 30-40 miles. Surprisingly I Can get in & out of a spark easily!

breakfast likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any of the BEVs now available cover that commute. Both being under 70 miles range, the smart ED and iMiEV might be iffy with winter range loss. Though I think the iMiEV's battery chemistry is one suited for the cold.

Auto journalists liked the Spark EV because of the performance boost it had over the ICE model. It has a 82 mile range, with a liquid thermal management system for the batter, like the Volt. So a used one's battery should be in better shape than a Leaf's from a hot climate.

It's only sold in California, Oregon, and Maryland though. There is a single used one in Pennsylvania on Cars.com, but closer to Maryland than you.

13. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't mind Maryland at all, I drive through a tiny slice of it every couple of weeks. My parents are in VA... And I visit as often as I'm able

14. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're looking for a "bridge" car, the leases available on the Spark EV could be really tempting. A used Leaf could be a strong contender for a few years of a 35 mile round trip as well. At significantly under $10K, they're not much of a risk. Just be sure to checkout the Leaf forums for common issues to see whether you can live with them.

I live in an EV charging black-hole and love the EV driving experience, so the Volt and i3 REx are the only options I can consider without reservations, at least until the Bolt becomes available.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think making a larger ev is presently cost prohibitive, but i'm sure they'll come along in time.

16. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm going to take another look at a volt , or
    A E-golf, as well as the Kia zero. I know the BMW is out of my price range, might as will get a Tesla.

I'm sure they will, someday...

Tb: I could handle the Spark, will have to move that up the list to check out.

As for a Leaf; a college buddy of mine has a Leaf, I'll pick his brain on it , plus check out the forums on them.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because of age, numbers sold, and nationwide availability, a deal on the Leaf will likely be the easiest to find.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the spark available in 50?

19. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad to hear that the Spark is easy to get in and out of -- it looks like a very nice car...

By the way, should a used Volt be called a ReVolt? ;) :whistle: :cautious::D

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Spark is limited to just California, I believe. It's a really small car too. Bolt will be bigger.