1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Went to the mountains in our Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Aug 5 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]491001[/snapback]</div>
    I am the OP and I know when I switched to fresh. It was STILL HOT. At the moment I pushed the button to fresh, the engine received substantial additional power -- in other words returned to normal. Prior to pushing the button it had lost about 40 per cent (to my untrained mind and senses) of its normal power.

Soom thereafter the external temp started to drop. This started happening about 5 minutes or so later. That was a good thing, in general, but I don't know of any impact it had on the power, since the power lost had already resolved itself for some reason.

I so appreciate all these insights.

jennifer

2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Aug 5 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]491001[/snapback]</div>
    I am the OP and I know when I switched to fresh. It was STILL HOT. At the moment I pushed the button to fresh, the engine received substantial additional power -- in other words returned to normal. Prior to pushing the button it had lost about 40 per cent (to my untrained mind and senses) of its normal power.

Soom thereafter the external temp started to drop. This started happening about 5 minutes or so later. That was a good thing, in general, but I don't know of any impact it had on the power, since the power lost had already resolved itself for some reason.

I so appreciate all these insights.

And as to the following quote:
    Nope. We had been climbing the mountain for about 45 minutes to an hour when this happened. It happened before the temp. dropped, but not long before. The temp was still over 90 when this happened. Nothing at all went wrong when we were driving across the valley and the problem never came back again. Pushing the fresh button was so linked tothe change in engine power, that relating the two events was super hard to resist doing.

The theory about forcing air into the battery is the winner theory in my opinion. I think that was it.

Again, thanks to all who gave inputs.

Jennifer

jennifer

3. telstar

telstar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Aug 6 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]491343[/snapback]</div>
    I made a similar comment on another thread about this general (AC setting the subject of less MPG) subject --- but it used to be that when the AC was on recirculate (older cars & systems) the compressor would run steadily and would not kick off and on. When the AC was placed on the refresh setting (or normal setting) the compressor would start kicking in and out as needed & bringing outside air into the cabin. IF that occurs with the Prius (recirculate causing the compressor to run all the time) then it follows that more power is being drawn during recirculate mode, and less power is drawn in the refresh or normal mode. If this holds true then the other factors in your situation may have contributed enough for a noticable difference in power output of the engine/motor.