1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We're a Three Prius Family Now and Growing!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Seagull6, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

My daughter Krissy started it by purchasing a Prius early in January 2006. I researched the Prius and test drove her's and bought a 2006 for myself last June. This past Friday my wife bought a cute blue (Pearl something) 2007 Prius. Now my daughter's father in-law is seriously considering buying a Prius.

Kris is wondering if Toyota has any sort of a kick-back program since she started it in the family (if they don't, they should). I think word-of-mouth is probably the most effective advertising prgram, especially for the Prius. For anyone that thinks that Prius sales are going soft - think again. Up in NJ and MA gas will be at $3/gallon very soon and us Prius owners won't be feeling the pain as much as many other motorists. :D

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So far I'm the only one. But I don't know how long that will last. Probably until I sell my current Prius and buy another. I suspect my Sister will want my current Prius. She wants one but can't afford a new or used one. At least not now. Her son loves my old Saturn. She bought it for him to drive though technically it's hers. I suspect he'll eventually buy it from her when he can afford it. Her other son has ridden in the Prius. Don't know how he feels but I do know he takes after my sister and brother....could make a nickel scream. Her husband just cares about appearance. But the Prius is a lot more fashionable than a van and right now he's driving a van. A Prius would be much more impressive to clients. (He's in real estate.) And if he had to carry anything to an open house, like a card table or something, it would certainly fit in the hatch. That's why she wants one. She decorates cakes and loves the hatch/cargo area.

My Mother likes the car but will go along with whatever my Dad chooses. They're not ready to replace their current Cadillac yet, but I know when they do, they'll be open to a change. If the price of gas is high enough, they might go for a Hybrid Camry. That's the direction I'm steering them towards.

My Brother in Florida likes the car. If I found out they bought one in the next few years I wouldn't be surprised. Price of gas will probably have a significant impact on his decision as he's a tightwad. He's ridden in the car already.

So there's the potential of 3-5 Toyota hybrids there.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

4. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm the Pioneer in my family, but I think it's going to take years and years of work to change the mindset of my relatives. When we have large family gatherings my <strike>little</strike> mid-size Prius is surrounded by 7 Chevy Suburbans. Mom's the worst. "You're not safe in that little car!"

5. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the short time that I have had mine, six weeks now, I have converted an executive friend from the defense industry (of all places) to swap his Lincoln Town Car for one. An IT developer friend has ordered one, a professer friend is in the process of buying one. and my wifes uncle just traded in a new Civic at a loss for one. There is nothing like a test drive to convert the fence sitters.

6. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Mar 31 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]415701[/snapback]</div>
    That is so nice to hear. Thank you for sharing!

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Last year I moved to a new school. After answering questions about my Prius a teacher bought a used Gen 1 (and has hybrid stickers) and the Vice Principal bought the Highlander Hybrid (instead of the Ford). Both are ecstatically happy with their decisions.

No one since, but I had a lot of questions at the beginning of the year when I had it parked outside the library for teacher prep days.

My brother used to call mine the "golf cart". But I think he's changed his mind since riding in it.

8. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 31 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]415725[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota's been offering a lot of incentives to buy their products: cars!!!!

But, so are the American manufacturers. If you want your folks to buy Prius, you might want to consider a soft sell.

By the way, I think one of the Ameican manufacturer's has now come out with a hybrid but can't remember which one. It uses ethanol. Some have a diesel mix but neither one of them sound too good to me.

It's like buying a 1st generation car. You never know what kind of bugs you will have once you purchase it. I definitely wouldn't go there either, but that's just my opinion.

9. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah... My wife's niece and nephew had a 2004 and a Saturn of some sort. That was about the same time I was thinking of getting my 2005. After my wife had a chance to try both mine and theirs, she traded her '99 Mazda for a 2005. When the niece's Saturn got hit by a plane (I kid you not), she replaced it with a 2005 despite the fact that Saturn was going to replace the car if she'd be involved in some sort of publicity. Now her mom wants to replace her Avalon with one. It's like a plague!

Of course, my sister would never consider it. "Oh, isn't that one of those experimental cars?" she says. What with driving her three kids all over creation you'd think she'd at least consider the economy aspect of the vehicle she chose. But, you know, you can't stand out, gotta have that standard-issue soccer-mom van!

10. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geeky teacher @ Mar 31 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]415749[/snapback]</div>

That is exactly my situation also. I am making headway with my suburban driving father who has a long commute and a little environmental leaning, but my mom will always feel that she is justified in driving the Tahoe because it is 'so roomy' when she takes her work friends out twice a year. My older brother is slightly jealous of my car, he recently bought a Mazda for several thousand more dollars than my Prius, but he still likes the zoom zoom. My younger brother is in jail for three DUIs and other drug possession chargers for a few years so he won't be able to have a car for a long time anyways. My extended family has mostly yet to be introduced to my car; I suspect a few supporters, but mostly odd glares and suggestions that I will 'reconsider' when I 'start having children'. Little do they know that I won't ever have children, maybe a child in ten years, but never children. I have a lot of family gatherings coming up so I will see what exactly they all say...

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got $100 from the dealership for bringing my dad in (who bought a Prius about a week after I did).

We have two young kids (still in car/booster seats) and they fit fine in the back seat. It's also possible to configure it to squeeze an adult in the back too, but it's a pretty tight fit.

As petrol gets more expensive a lot of those "needs" will be exposed for the "wants" that they are.