1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Western coal plants

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 17, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some snark but it turns out two large coal plants are closing.

Source: The West’s largest coal-fired power plant is closing. Not even Trump can save it. - The Washington Post

In the past three weeks, owners of two of the nation’s biggest coal-fired power plants have announced plans to shut them down, potentially idling hundreds of workers. One plant in Arizona is the largest coal-fired facility in the western United States.
    . . .
    The 2,250-megawatt plant has faced increasing financial pressure in the face of record-low natural gas prices, which have made it more expensive to produce electricity at the facility than to purchase it from cheaper sources.
    . . .
    And if the owners of coal-fired plants lose money when they operate their facilities, keeping them running makes little economic sense.

Bob Wilson

iplug likes this.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My daughter was at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale for graduate studies, I went to visit, she lived a bit south of the school, the school had a giginamous coal fired heating facility, the road east of the plant had cancer clinics every few feet, I'm so glad she finished schooling l and moved away.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In this case, about 1/2 gallon of water is evaporated per kwh produced. I don't know how that stands among thermal coal plants. Nor compared to gas turbines that do co-generation with their exhaust heat.

Would be great if someone compiled this aspect of performance. Electrical power generation that does not heavily compete with agriculture for water would be helpful in some regions.

iplug likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I recently discovered there's a lignite coal plant less than 50 miles from the Toyota truck plant here in south Texas.

San Miguel Lignite Mine