1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wet key

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by scudmonster, May 8, 2012.

1. TytaniumK

TytaniumK New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    :cool: Hence, the ever-popular term: Rice Burner! :D

2. moezer2112

moezer2112 Futurist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Your Prius c
    has got a wheel in the ditch
    And a wheel on the track.

Don't it take you down home?

3. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also sent mine through the washing machine...I went and tested to see if it still worked and it made my alarm keep going off. I had to take out the battery and blow water out of it, I have a spare fob so I used it while my wet fob dried out for 2 weeks. It works normal again now...

4. scudmonster

scudmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not that I would recommend this, but apparently, if you accidentally wash it, it is a good idea to accidentally put it in the dryer on high heat as well for twenty minutes....no dryer sheets. :) That's what my husband did, and, after a night of letting it sit in rice, all was well.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The safest option would be 175 degrees in the oven for an hour.

6. grady123

grady123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    (Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is the first web search result and newest when searching for a solution.)

I washed my smart key in the washing machine and it didn't work. I tried most of the tricks above. Ultimately the key was completely dry but still didn't work. The circuit board got wet and had watermarks which prevented it from working but could be easily cleaned off.

I found another thread for fixing a button that didn't work which described how to open the case completely. I tried it as a last resort and didn't want to pay $200-300 for a new 2007 fob (I've done that previously by getting a new fob and reprogramming it myself).

Make sure you have tested the remote with a good battery and confirmed it doesn't work.

Time: It took me less than an hour but I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Gather: New CR2032 battery, tiny phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, box cutter, small flathead screw driver, alcohol (rubbing), old toothbrush, super glue, clamps (optional)
    - Open fob: remove mechanical key, sliding cover, and the battery cover (put the screws in a safe spot)
    - The last part of the fob is help together with glue. Separate fob plastic slightly by inserting needle nose pliers in the mechanical key holding area
    - In the crack drive the box cutter blade in about an 1/8" - 1/4" to cut the glue. Do this slowly and carefully and cut away from your hands (e.g. put the fob on end on a flat surface and cut from top down)
    - Slowly work the separation with pliers, flathead screwdriver, and cutter
    - Eventually the fob with be opened albeit with some prying marks
    - The circuit board is pressed in place without screws. Carefully pry the circuit board out. My circuit board had water and corrosion marks but no pitting.
    - Put a bit of rubbing alcohol on the clean toothbrush. Gently scrub both sides.
    - Test the board alone with a new battery and pressing one of the white button switches. If it works then you have fixed the problem!
    - Put the board back in the housing. You may have fiddle to get it flush. Glue the next piece on with the minimal super glue applied to the previously glued areas. I clamped the housing together while it set for 2 minutes. You could also use books or hold it down.
    - Reassemble. At the battery stage test again to confirm it is working

Let us know if you tried this procedure and the results.

-Noel

RobH likes this.
  7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note that only Gen2 keyfobs need to be broken into like this. Now that replacement cases are available for Gen2, I'd recommend use of a replacement instead of gluing the old one back together. Be sure to transfer over the transponder chip that is separate from the circuit board.

The rubbing alcohol cleaning applies to all keyfobs sent through the washing machine...

Prodigyplace likes this.