1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wet rear driver floor after the rain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TomasV, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

I've noticed today that my rear driver side floor mat is soaking wet, so as the floor. It's like a puddle there. It's been raining heavy the whole night, but not flooding or anything else, drove about an hour on the highway before I noticed the problem. The driver side mat and floor seems a little wet too. Also, the fabric is wet next to the driver's side small window (the tiny one where the roof A pillar is). I've tried to look as much as possible for a leak next to the window, but couldn't find anything.

Are those known issues for the Pri? And what could be the case with the rear floor being wet. I know the A/C hose is in the front, so that should't affect the rear floor.. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, in the gen II. not sure i've read it in gen 3. you'll probably have to sit inside with someone hosing the car down. known leaks are in the rain gutter welds, body seams, rear hatch hinges. you may want to check your door and window seal areas. maybe windshield gasket.
    if it was the a/c, i would think rain would not affect it.

3. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think it's the door seals. The sides of the floor seem dry. And the puddle just seems to be where the mat sits on the floor, the hump, and all 4 sides are dry. just the bottom itself.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    IIRC, there are grommets (or plugs) which should have been attached to the underside of the car by the dealer during the pre-delivery inspection. This might be something to check into.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  5. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From the pre-delivery checklist:
    Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 6.13.14 PM.png

I don't know exactly where the plugs go, but take a look around where the mat is located. If there's a hole with no plug, good chance it's your problem.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Are you the original vehicle owner? it is pre-own, second hand? If the last apply to the case, the vehicle may had been in an previous accident and some things had been left overlooked like a cracked floor pan, uncovered drain plugs, probably the vehicle was totaled by an insurance claim by body damage and had been repair half the way........to many ifs

8. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm the second owner of the car. Don't think the car was wrecked.. I'll try to lift the car and check if there are any holes in there.. Thanks!

9. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those issues are not unique to any car in general but just a pain to pinpoint where. If it were the AC the problem is almost always the right front area where the AC discharge has to go. Its either the heater box has gotten full and water has leaked out or the hose has deflected and instead gone to the floor mat area . But this case it is not the AC system. Many times the door seals get replaced but next rain..water enters cabin again. You can hose the car roof and see if there is leaks. But it can also be a harder one which the water leaks in via the A pillar, goes down to the left side kick panel then proceeds to the left rear door opening then leaks down onto the floor.
    On YouTube check out water leaks in a 2001 Lincoln Towncar which shows you how this works. Not saying that it exactly what willhappen on the Prius but you will get an idea how water enters and how it seemingly avoids many obvious areas but ends up showing up in an area which can befuddle you! But I suspect you have to start with the left side cowl area as the point of entry.

10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is that for all states? I think my dealer said that was for up North. LOL Mine are probably not installed on 3 cars.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Since it doesn't rain in Florida I would believe your dealer. o_O

12. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, after a lot of time I've started to believe it's the sunroof sealers.. The driver's mat also gets wet just as the rear driver's side one. Also, the upholstery by the front speakers (by the A pillars) gets also wet on both sides when it's raining or after a car wash.. So I'm assuming the water comes from above.. I still haven't figured out what's my next step.. I guess I'll remove the padding on the A pillar and start hosing the roof and see if any water comes out. I checked on ebay but didn't find any sunroof rubber sealer replacement parts, are they that uncommon?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea, but if it is, it's the first report i recall.

14. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Continuing.. Tried to find drain holes for the sunroof, but couldn't locate any of them.. Are they not even there, or am I blind?

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are sure it's not a missing rubber body plug? my kid lost one in a yaris and had wet floor in different corners depending which corner was downhill. she lost hers by bottoming on a speed bump, but didn't fess up and it took almost a year to find up.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the plug loc's:

Capture.JPG

17. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the plugs are there. Even if they wouldn't be there that wouldn't explain the wet a pillar parts.. Not the best problem to deal with. :(

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    water infiltration is the worst, house or car. have you hosed her off yet?

19. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, nothing that I could spot.. Looked around everywhere. With the weather getting warmer I'm sure it's going to develop a nice smell, so I guess off to the dealer she goes.

20. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    *UPDATE*

After looking around everywhere and for forever I still found nothing..

But for some reason I just took a plastic fork, and ran it over the rubber sealing by the windshield. And it turned out to have a ton of sand and dirt stuck there. I cleaned both sides, and hosed the car for an hour. Nothing! No damp rugs, no water anywhere. And we had a couple days of rain and it is still dry.

I guess the windshield was replaced at some point ;( I still can't imagine the water traveling from the windshield all the way to the back seat, but I guess it did happen..

Thank you all for your input.