1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whack-A-Mole time - Is it worth it? How many more miles might I expect.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BobbyB108, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Turlin

Turlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Last night I swapped in a new module/blade for the bad one (was pretty obvious, all were at 8.18-8.24v except one which was at 6.7v or so)

Buttoned it all up again and back in the car.... car won't go into ready mode. Dr, Prius app shows module #14 voltage at 16.35 or 16.36, just toggling between the two values, while the other modules varied more normally. (averaging around 16.45v)

App and car both indicate about 59% SOC. is that consistent with these module voltages?

I suspect the problem (based on internet research) is that I bumped/nudged the control computer while unbolting the battery compression rods, and I must have broken a tenuously corroded connection at the computer for module #14. ( All module connections had corrosion on them at the battery, and Module #14 is the closest to the computer,)

If this is the case, do I have to get a "new" computer or would it be possible to just clean the contacts on the existing one?

#21 Turlin, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You most likely did not slide the interlock switch downward to lock it. The orange interlock, slide it downward toward the bottom of the floor. It'll lock into place and your car should start

3. Turlin

Turlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tried that several times. ( I think) That was the first thing I thought of. Shove it in the side, flip lever up, push interlock down. Is there a further down position with more resistance or something that I might have missed?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    disconnect your 12v for a few seconds and connect it back..Make sure it has enough charge 11.5v or higher. Best to top if off if low

5. Turlin

Turlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right by the interlock switch, there are 3 sets of wires that need to plug back into the battery for the ECU and relays. Make sure you didn’t forget those

7. Turlin

Turlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Fiddled with the interlock and 12v battery connectors last night and it worked! Might not have pushed the interlock quite far enough down the first time. 12v battery was at 12.35v when disconnected from car.

Modules appear well balanced. The new module was at 7.9v when it arrived, while the ones in the pack were 8.2v, so I used a current limited power supply to charge the new one at about 2.5amps for a few minutes to bring it up closer to 8..2v. (Checking the voltage every minute or so)

Having successfully completed a module replacement, I now feel much more confident about swapping out all the modules for the NewPriusBatteries ones. Also more confident about testing and maintaining the old ones for resale.

Also, I looked it up, and it appears that these same modules should fit in a gen 4 Prius as well, as long as it is not an Eco model with lithium ion batteries. That should give me lots of options when/if my current gen2 fails before the new battery does.

nancytheprius likes this.
  8. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    let us know how long your module swap lasts as well!