1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What’s Better: A Fully Electric Car Or A Plug-In Hybrid EV?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, Feb 7, 2019.

1. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some of this comparison isn't quite deserving when you add the century of refinement that ice has over bat

Trollbait and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imagine where we'd be if government required ev development the way they've required emission controls and mpg's,
    that's 50 years right there

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "In 1800, Volta invented the first true battery, which came to be known as the voltaic pile. "

History of the battery - Wikipedia

"... in 1794 Robert Street patented an internal combustion engine, which was also the first to use the liquid fuel (gasoline), and built an engine around that time."

History of the internal combustion engine - Wikipedia

So, it looks like the difference is 6 years (1794 versus 1800).

Lightning Racer likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in those 6 years, the oil companies took control of everything

KrPtNk likes this.
  5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The word practical should be added to your vocabulary.

Surprised you didn't mention the Bagdad battery. ICE wasn't practical a hundred years ago, and neither was the battery.

Industry favored one over the other.

Trollbait and bisco like this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The reason industry favored one over the other is that one is an energy source, while the other is an energy storage method only. ICs have the advantage of having a very high energy fuel (about 33.5kWh/kg) while batteries only store energy, and only less than 1% as much. Batteries are also much harder to perfect because their problems tend to happen at the molecular level where you need advanced techniques to understand them, while IC problems happen at the macro level where you can see them with bare eyeballs.

Believe me, I wish we had good batteries. I've been following companies like Sion Power (Lithium Sulfur/Lithium Metal) and others for a long time, hoping one would come through with the goods. Sadly, not yet.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An internal combustion engine that last 50 years or more? In operation?
    Not without significant and repeated rebuilds, to the point of it not really being the same engine it was leaving the factory.

I'm not arguing that batteries don't have a shelf life.

But keep in mind...an ICE is the component- burning fuel, that creates energy for the movement of the vehicle. Fossil fuel is the power source.
    A battery? In a Full Electric is the component that powers the motor that powers the vehicle. The electric charge of the battery is the electric motors source.

So comparison of a battery to an engine is not a flawless or equal comparison.

You're entitled to your opinion. I believe it's a bit of a moot point, as whether it's in my lifetime or 100 years from now, IMO the Internal Combustion Engine, will come to pass.
    Whether it's replacement if full electric battery powered vehicles or some as of yet unknown technology, someday the inefficiency of Piston Rings, and the burning of fossil fuel, will necessitate the change.

I will agree that the adoption or development of bio-fuels or alternative fuel sources could change the equation.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, my 31-year-old one is still going strong (better than new, actually) and has never had any sort of rebuild. Show me a battery that matches that description.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The problem with this thread is the title starts with..."What's Better:"...so everyone has a different answer.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With a Volt and a Spark EV, I find myself using the Spark more and more. Even with its limited range, it works most of the time around here and with our governor promising more DC charging around the state, I can extend Spark-E's range even more, when necessary.:D

11. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have been using a12 volt battery for over 25 years and it still functions as well as new.

I admit I am using it as a doorstop, but still.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of factors come into play with bev range. generalizations don't work, because they can vary greatly

15. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, that's why I told citiprius 70% of the total range for your daily is too conservative.

bisco likes this.
  16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :) We had poster here that had an original Rav4 EV, and he even got to try that generator trailer. I think it was called a Long Ranger.
    I remember reports on groups looking into battery trailers.

It is actually the other way around; the fuel is the energy source, and the motor/engine makes the power.
    They could, but I think the costs and production limits of renewable fuels will mean PHEVs along the lines of the i3 REx and not the Prime, in order for the public to be willing to pay for the renewable fuel. In other words, the EV range needs to meet local driving needs for nearly all the time, and the range extender used just for long trips.

Ford or somebody had electric windshield defoggers. It had a much higher energy draw than the rear ones, because you want the windshield cleared faster.

18. Kendall Morgan-Chase

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree it depends on your circumstances. I originally wanted to buy a plugin version of the 2018 Toyota Prius, but as I travel back and forth from the farm (504 km round trip) I can get to the farm but not back from it. Or I'd have to install a charging port at the farm. So I opted for the petrol-electric version and have been enjoying the trip back and forth immensely. don't regret getting the petrol-electric version. No plugin, no hassle. AND the fuel economy is absolutely amazing, it's a case of "I've heard people brag about the fuel efficiency of a Prius, but did not quite believe them" but now I have owned one since August 2018, traveled 15,000 kilometres and fill up 6 times am totaling in awe. Dash says 3.8L/100klm, and I'm told that is a good rate.

bisco likes this.
  19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about Prius PHV or PRIME when you talk about "a plugin version of the 2018 Prius"? I am not sure what you have in your country, but assuming it is Prius PHV (aka PRIME) if you don't plug in, the car is basically a regular hybrid version of Prius. Yeah, if you regularly do not plug-in, it may not benefit any. But once in a while around house drive up to 25 miles (40km), EV run will be a nice option.

20. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Off topic automotive trivia time!

Ford did have a very expensive option way back when. The windshield had a metallic layer, which you could see and was similar to what is used on Biz Jets and Airliners.
    It had a dedicated alternator/AC generator on the engine just to power the windshield heat! I think I remember it was AC based for better electrical efficiency.
    They also offered a very early 4 wheel disc brake anti-lock option back when that was totally new.
    Late 70's, early 80's....?

Trollbait likes this.