1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What’s the best after market brands?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EdwardMH, Aug 30, 2022.

1. EdwardMH

EdwardMH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am about to change for the first time (as far as I know) my spark plugs AND ignition coils on my 2012 Prius V Five odometer 192748 miles, I only average 34-37 MPG and I am hoping this will get me better mileage. I am not sure if anything else needs upgrading that would help my MPG.

A local garage wants to charge $379 JUST for the plugs, another person that only works on Prius‘s in his free time said if I buy the parts he will install them for $85 2012 prius V Five spark plugs AND ignition coils.

I went on Amazon and found NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs $43.99, and 4 pcs ignition coils (Unknown brand but look like the OEM‘s I seen in videos $58.00

I am trying to figure out if one aftermarket company is better than another, if I should avoid any particular brand…

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota doesn’t make any spark plugs; everything’s “aftermarket”. Toyota might repackage and assign a part no, but it’s an independent manufacturer. There’s a denso plug specd in owners manual on page 714:

DENSO FC16HR-C9

Check with dealership parts department too; just in case there’s been a suppression.

Be careful where you buy too; there have been counterfeits. Dealership or reputable parts place are best.

douglasjre likes this.
  3. EdwardMH

EdwardMH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, I was looking at Amazon but not sure I trust there.

douglasjre likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't trust anyone but the dealership for plugs, unfortunately

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve got a local parts place I’ve used for years, especially for plugs. They’re always around 25% less for plugs; never any problems. But yeah, you have to be cautious: better to spend a bit more and no surprises.

douglasjre likes this.
  6. EdwardMH

EdwardMH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Great info, ty.

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't buy anything aftermarket ever for a Japanese car because all aftermarket junk is made in China. Would you buy a Chinese car? No, then don't buy Chinese parts for your Japanese car.

Mandel's right. Most of Amazon stuff might say brand name on it but it's all coming from China and it's all fake junk. Your labor is worth more than the parts. I bill $100 an hour from my labor which is pretty low being that I have a specialty certificate and hybrid repair. The parts are the least of the expense of most any repair and faulty parts causes immense frustration and comebacks and/or doubting the diagnosis. I will not deal with aftermarket anything under any circumstances no matter what and if you bring your own part to me I'm not installing it. First it implies you made the diagnosis which usually is wrong anyway and second, well, I've have already answered that above.

I believe you're original question was how to improve fuel economy. Big sidetrack here from the original question. So many questions not answered about how old the plugs are and coil packs are not going to help the problem anyway. If you're getting poor fuel economy you're probably looking in the wrong place. This is an assumption because we don't have any information about how old your plugs are and whether or not there's any misfire codes. I have a box full of aftermarket coil packs that you can play with. They all cause misfires and I took them out of other people's engines, LMAO would have been cheaper to fix it right the first time. Would have been cheaper to pay me to fix it right the first time and you could have saved yourself while you're wasted time and frustration and beat up knuckles and God knows how much how many stains to the interior of your car

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    38 miles per gallon is normal fuel economy for a Prius V....

And... What Parker said....