1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What’s this sound behind my dash? (video linked)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusDadNoob, Nov 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. PriusDadNoob

PriusDadNoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The sound occurs fairly frequently in my 2008 Prius. I thought it might be related to the AC floor versus vent system but it does not appear to change at all if I switch from floor to vents video link here please let me know what you think and thank you.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tVpYuuo6rLY?si=O91wunTpgFDiXGUD

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is the sound of one of the a/c servo motors 'seeking but not finding' the requested position.

If you read the codes on the car you may find some Bxxxx codes that will point you to the one that is not happy.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think you've kind of answered your own question You changed from floor to vent and nothing changes but you have that clicking going on when you're making the change or you think the chain should be made because you push the button and what you're hearing is the door flapper clicking It can't be pulled or it can't be moved I don't know if this is the whiskers and dirtiness inside of the motor itself on the the business that makes it change and all that some people take them out and clean them and what have you contact cleaner the kind that doesn't destroy plastic and all of that One of the electronics guys will be a long shortly with some pictures I'm pretty sure. It's actually very common If you're happy with the heat and the air conditioning you can leave it alone sometimes you can get in there move the flapper door where you want it and then just unplug it so it no longer moves down to the floor I never use the floor I need mine to come out the front vents with air conditioning with the heat possibly but no with the heat I just turn it way down once the car warms up because I don't want it blowing at me so I turn it down to 70 65 whatever because I have normal outdoor clothes on so I don't want to burn up going to the next call people in office attire will be doing things a little differently.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Floor-versus-vent (also known as outlet select) is only one of the three movable doors in the HVAC system; if the one that's chattering isn't that one, it's just one of the other two—inlet select (fresh/recirc) or air mix (how much heat). Just have to stick your head down there and look, and see which one is doing it.

More at this thread: No, that wasn't a mouse in the heater | PriusChat

That's a Gen 1 thread, but if you read through it, there are posts that help you apply it to Gen 2.