1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Ails Mercury's Mariner Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by hb06, Nov 22, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrid Owners of America Blog

"Tuesday, November 21, 2006:Here's a puzzle for you: Why is the Mercury Mariner hybrid -- which the New York Times has called perhaps "the first great American vehicle of the 21st century" -- languishing when it comes to auto sales? In an article entitled "Not All Hybrids are Hot," Autoweek points out that only about 2,000 of the Mariner hybrids have been sold so far this year."

"Nearly dead in the water is the Mercury Mariner Hybrid, which sits on dealer lots an average of 74 days -- longest of all hybrids, according to Power Information Network."

"The Mariner's sibling, the Ford Escape Hybrid, is having a better year, with sales up 23.5 percent through October to 16,304 and a respectable 27 days on dealer lots."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...007/1024/STATIC

2. mtndriver

mtndriver New Member

When is the last time you saw an advertisement for a Mercury Mariner? Without a push, who would go to a Lincoln dealer to buy a Hybrid?

I just bought a 2007 a couple of weeks ago to keep my 2006 Prius company. Nice car and LOTS less than the Highlander (but still about the price of a Prius!). Lincoln/Mercury salesmen don't have a clue about Hybrids...I hope the mechanics do!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Nov 21 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]352924[/snapback]</div>

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "it's refreshing to hear Mercury admitting that no one has them on their list of cars to look at."

Clearly, when they say, "you've got to put Mercury on your list" they are recognizing that they are not on your list. To say that to one or two people is one thing; to say that to all of the United States is - as far as I'm concerned - pretty reveling.

4. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 12 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]360784[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 12 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]360784[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely! When was the last time you talked to someone and they said..."I have to get to my Lincoln/Mercury dealer to check out that _______" You just don't hear it.

I think they are on the right track though. And with their new 2008 Mariner Hybrid, I expect them to sell many more than with the previous model. I also think their sales were slow because they only offered the Hybrid in 4WD before. I think the'll get more people looking at the new model because of the variations in trim levels and optional, not standard, 4WD. It was a mistake to think that just because it's an relatively upscale SUV or CUV that people would automatically want all wheel drive.

But, once again, it will be in the hands of the marketing team. We'll see.

5. GripperDon

GripperDon New Member

I think the problem is that currently it is only available in AWD the FWD comes out later. The gas milage penality for 4 wheel drive is too high. The Escape is available in FWD.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One problem the Escape/Mariners has is that it's gas milage is low compared to a Prius and the usable space is smaller then for a Prius. Also the much larger Highlander Hybrid gets similar gas mileage.

Ford uses old battery technology but otherwise seem to have a good system. Let's hope they can get a more competitive hybrid out there soon. I read on edmunds.com that the fusion would be made available as a hybrid. That could make an attractive car.

7. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gripper @ May 9 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]438833[/snapback]</div>
    It IS available now in FWD. Our local dealer has already sold at least one. If you do a search on the Mercury website there are plenty available at this point in time.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like the Ford campaign from the early 80's: "Have you driven a Ford...LATELY...?"

i.e., "please give us a try again, and while your doing that, would you also pardon us for all of the crap we've been trying to sell you over the last decade or so...?"

9. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I was looking at SUVs (b4 the prius search) I was looking at all hybrids, the Escape & Mariner were on the list. But I ruled out the SUVs because they just dont offer the MPG/price as the prius does. But i actually liked the Mariner a lot more than the escape

10. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Mariner more than the Escape as well ... the 08s look pretty nice imho ... much more aggressive. Fuel economy is pretty decent for an SUV, but like said it's not the biggest SUV out there. The back seat isn't so comfy and the dash still looks pretty cheap imho. It does have a switch that is sort of like an EV button. Overall if I was looking for something that size and with 4wd, I would highly consider the Mariner. Not sure I completely would feel comfy with reliability though.

11. rxhybrid

rxhybrid New Member

I am new to this site. Also, I own a 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Before that I owned a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I really like my MMH, and I do agree with the majority of the posts here. Mercury has done a really bad job of advertising this car.

It worked in my favor because I got the car at a steal, and I plan to drive it into the ground.

Anyway, I average about 28 to 29 mpg. I use AC all summer long because of allergies and asthma. AC really seems to help. I can average 30 to 31 if I don't use AC.

It has been a great SUV. The 4wd is awesome. I need 4wd because I absolutely have to get to work no matter what. We can get a lot of snow, and sometimes I have to leave for work before the plows clean the street. I can go through snow so high that it created a "wake" of snow behind me.

Anyway, if anyone has question about the MMH, feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading.

Rick

12. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rxhybrid @ Sep 9 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]509477[/snapback]</div>
    Any chance you'll tell us what "a steal" was? Was the car sitting on the lot, or did you order it?

Any repairs/warranty stuff yet?

Thanks!
    Tim

14. rxhybrid

rxhybrid New Member

15. Mawcawfee

Mawcawfee Prius-less (for now)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because it's a Mercury (not exactly a dealer around every corner and certainly not a "hot" marque). Worse, I have never, ever seen or heard the MMH advertised. Let me put it this way. I am a "car" nut. I love to read about new vehicles and to check them out in person, just to say I did. Yet, until I joined this forum recently and spotted the Escape/Mariner Hybrid section, I didn't know the MMH existed. Are you reading this Ford Motor Company?!

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I put Mercury on my list--the "S" list. Why would I ever want to buy a rebadged Ford?

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Re: What Ails Mercury's Mariner Hybrid?

I actually saw one of Mariner hybrids recently. As luck would have it, I parked right next to it before realizing that it was a Mariner hybrid. I wish I could have talked to the owner but they weren't there at the time, alas.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Our neighbor 5 doors down has one & he loves it. He's perplexed why they push'em so little. Speculation is, that Ford is waiting until they get their own hybrid up and running ... one where they don't have to possibly pay any royalties for cross-licensing with Toyota. I don't buy into that, though. My question is, 4x4 ?? If the Mariner is like the hyhi or our 400h SUV, it's not really even an AWD, as the ICE isn't hooked to the rear axle, right?

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The Escape/Mariner hybrid use the same AWD drive train as the non hybrid. At least, the previous gen did. A comparison review posted here awhile back recommended the Escape over the Highlander for those who actually wanted a hybrid 4x4 for taking off road.