1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are folks paying now?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by manolo, May 16, 2008.

1. manolo

manolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've called around (in the state of Connecticut) and even visited some dealers to test drive the Prius. No doubt it's the car I want. The best price I've gotten for a 2008 Prius w/pkg #3 plus leather heated seats is 26,600. The dealer "generously" is throwing in all-weather mats and cargo net. All other dealership prices have been higher, much higher. After reading the posts here I find the price a bit high, but I'm desperate - I really need to get this car soon. The dealer tells me it will be a three to six-week wait. At this point in the game - when gas has hit $4 a gallon - is the price above a decent price to pay for this car?:confused:

2. Yoda-chan

Yoda-chan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We bought ours a month ago (here in FL) and paid MSRP for it; no discounts. However, it was just before demand increased, and our car was sitting on the lot the day we walked in.

If you're looking at CT dealers, I've heard some negative reviews about Greentree in Brookfield. They wouldn't allow a friend to test drive a Prius (or any other Toyota) until she put down a deposit on the car. She went to a different dealer instead.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the dealer had some bad experience from customers in the past.

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I picked up mine in Nov. of '07 for 24K - package 4. Prices may vary from state to state I think...

5. BlkAdder

BlkAdder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: What are folks paying now? (Austin, Texas)

Attached is a spreadsheet that shows quotes I got from:
    • The Toyota web site - using the "build your own" thingy;
    • Champion Toyota (Austin, Texas);
    • Champion Toyota (Austin, Texas) - using the Costco auto purchase program; and
    • Price LeBlanc Toyota (Baton Rouge, LA) - coming this afternoon!

Attached Files:

6. Kpod

Kpod New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yesterday, when I spoke to a dealer in Elkhart, IN, he had one on the lot for sale that someone ordered and then backed out, option 3 with leather and heated seats, out the door for $27,500.

I didn't need the stuff that came with option 3, so now I'm on the waitlist near Detroit for option 2 at $25,500 out the door.

7. manolo

manolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, from the responses so far it seems that the price isn't as outrageous as I thought. In the last two months Prius prices have skyrocketed. I guess it goes hand in hand with gas prices and demand. I think I'm going to put a deposit on it right away. Thanks to all of you who responded. This forum is a great resource.:)

8. prius_gt

prius_gt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just purchased a 2008 Prius with package #4 yesterday for $28K out the door. The price before tax, license, and title was $25,500. I had been looking for my magnetic gray Prius with package #4 for awhile, and in the SF Bay Area, apparently many Prius in the color/options combination I wanted were being sold within days of arrival at the dealership.

9. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats and good luck!

10. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I paid 24.5k out the door. Black, new, 2008, Package #2.

Sounds like I got a good deal. I am #2 on the waiting list, sould be here mid june.

:D

11. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, manolo,

Congrats on your decision. Just out of curiosity, what town in CT do you live in & what town is your dealership in?

Make sure you check the sales contract to verify that you get your deposit deducted from the sale price so that it is properly credited towards the balance due. Some dealerships used to forget that you made the deposit & try to charge the full price without that deduction [I didn't get hit that way because I didn't need to make a deposit at the dealership I finally ordered with (& I got back the deposit I left with my original dealer because he was trying to push me into the most expensive option Pkg against my will for 6 months---my 2nd dealer got me EXACTLY what I had originally asked for & in only 6 WEEKS)].

Also check the paperwork to see that you don't get charged any sales tax---that will save you a bundle. In 2004 when I saw the text of the sales tax exemption on the state's dept of revenue services website, it applied to any hybrid that gets 40 MPG or better, whether new or used, purchased between Oct 1, 2004 & Oct 1, 2008---NOT ordered, but purchased (with all dealer paperwork completed & final full payment made) by these dates.

I hope your dealer sticks to the agreed price & can deliver it when promised because the supply of Priuses is start'g to dry up. If you end up having to wait until the 2009's start coming in, you'll probably get hit with another price increase (above the $400 increase that just took effect this week) & you may lose out on your sales tax exemption because the 2009's probably won't start reach'g the east coast until the end of October. Good luck!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

12. manolo

manolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I already put a down payment on the car and have the paperwork with the quoted price. I'm dealing with Hoffman Toyota in Canton. They told me it would be a three to six week wait. I'm hoping I got a decent price relative to what is being charged on average in New England. Most of the other dealers I called quoted 27+ and one quoted over 28K for the Prius Pkg. 3. The fact that we have no sales tax on it here in Ct makes the deal sweeter. But I will be aware of the details you mention. Thanks. :yo:

13. gt4fore

gt4fore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought only pkg #6 had the leather seats, am I missing something??

-GT

From Toyota web site using zip code 06019:

Option B $2,105

• Package #3-includes Smart Key System, [1] backup camera [7], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [11], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [6] universal transceiver, and JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [2] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [3] wireless technology (HI)
    • Cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in, 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, and 50 state emissions. The price of this package is included within the base vehicle MSRP. (HZ)

Option D $4,550

• Package #6-includes Smart Key System [1], backup camera [7], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [11], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [6] universal transceiver, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [2] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [3] wireless technology, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, voice-activated DVD navigation system [4], and leather-trimmed seats and steering wheel (NW)
    • Cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in, 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, and 50 state emissions. The price of this package is included within the base vehicle MSRP. (HZ)

14. manolo

manolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm getting a pkg 3 and the dealer will install heated leather seats for 1500 extra.

15. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi again, manolo,

I'm surprised you seem to have gotten such a good deal over there. They have been traditionally high priced at Hoffman's due to their proximity to Avon's elite. I was just over that way last week & parked right next to their dealership, so I got out & took a walk through their lot. Amid all that construction equipment & dust & grime I only saw one lonely black Prius & it had a "Not For Sale, Fleet Car" tag on it.

So, what town do you hail from? Did you try seeing what Lynch Toyota in Manchester (near me) could do for you in the way of availability or best price? I would have bought my 2005 from Lynch, but back then because they were one of the few dealers only asking MSRP (when most other dealers were charging $3,000 to $5,000 above MSRP) they had a 28 month long wait'g list. So I got on a 6 month list at Gale Toyota in Enfield (for only MSRP there too), but I was sorry I ever got involved with them [greedy (trying to push everybody into the top option pkg only & trying to also push all kinds of extras on you) & definitely NOT customer oriented or friendly people]. So I got my deposit back & left them.

I happened to have a casual chat with somebody from Balise Toyota in W. Springfield one day & that developed into a very pleasant (& still ongoing) working relationship with that dealership. They bent over backwards to please me by find'g the exact car I had been looking for (whereas Gale Toyota had told me "the car you want isn't even made, you'll never see it in your lifetime, so just take the car we offer you, or we'll move you down to the bottom of the list again, & when you work your way back up to the top, if you don't take the car we offer you then, we'll just take you off the list & never sell you a car") & it only took 6 WEEKS for Balise to get me exactly what I had asked for (& the service at Balise has been great too---nice people all around). Balise also wrote up the sale as an out-of-state delivery & took care of the paperwork at the Enfield DMV (so I got my sales tax exemption).

Boy, were all the people at Gale Toyota pissed at losing my sale when I drove onto their lot to show them 6 weeks later that I now owned the car I "would NEVER see in my lifetime" (liars!). Admittedly, Balise did have a higher monthly allotment of Priuses & they were allowed by Toyota into an extra pool of more Priuses because they had just finished tearing down their old facility & moved into a newly constructed state-of-the-art super dealership. But in the end, it comes down to the highly qualified people & "can do" attitude of them at Balise that puts them light years ahead of the low-life trolls work'g at Gale Toyota. If things don't work out for you at Hoffman's, why not see if anybody at Balise can help you. Good luck!

One more thing (& I wasn't just praising Balise to get you to go there for an ulterior motive), but if you do wind up going up to them for your Prius, tell them Ken Virchow of Bolton, Ct sent you & kindly make sure that is brought up & entered on the paperwork before it's finished. I would receive a $50 recommendation award for send'g you to them once your purchase goes through. It's not important to me, but it would be a nice "thank you" from them for send'g you their way if anything doesn't work out at Hoffman's. I just want you to get your car in time (before the tax exemption expires & before you may be forced into a maybe more expensive 2009 model) & I want you as soon as possible to be as happy as the rest of us Prius owners are.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

16. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i am going to end up paying msrp on a 2008 touring, package 6.
    28,410 about. no tax here in NH. this includes a few extras like
    window breakage sensor, cargo thingy, etc..

17. jscango

jscango New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just picked ours up today!! Waited two weeks for it to come in. Paid sticker with the all weather mats and cargo tote thrown in.

18. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :welcome:Welcome and congratulations jscango ! Enjoy your new ride.

19. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have not actually taken delivery yet, so these prices should be taken with a grain of salt. I am going out-of-state (100 miles away) to save some money. We are waiting for a Grey Package 2 which is enroute from the port to the dealer (due sometime next week). My quote is $22,598 (with floor mats, and including destination charge) + $99 processing fee + $19 temporary tag = $22,716 out-the-door. By my calculation, this price is about $1200 off the "old" sticker price of $23,909. I will have to bring it back to Pennsylvania to pay the 6% sales tax, ~$100 TTR (at AAA) and ~$100 annual PA state inspection. I consider myself VERY fortunate to get this deal (assuming I actually get it without any further hidden fees). I think if I had waited a couple days more I would have paid much more as prices have firmed up significantly. This car will replace my 1999 Honda Accord, which my son is buying to take to college with him.

Before locking in that deal, I had placed a refundable deposit at another dealer in Pennsylvania on a Package 2 with floor mats for $23,300 + 6% sales tax + $168.50 TTR. I am #2 on their list, and I have not asked for my deposit back because we also need to replace my wife's Grand Voyager which has 193k miles. If I like the first Prius as much as I think I will, we will buy this second one for my wife. We hope to find the Package/color we want by the June allocation, which will give us about a month with the first car to confirm that we like it enough. The dealer has assured me that he will honor this price even after the $400 price increase on the new shipments.

I consider myself very fortunate to get these prices in this market. So far it appears the dealers are being honest with the prices. (I've asked about hidden fees a few times.) However, they may be disappointed when they find out 1) I will pay cash 2) I have no trade, and 3) I don't want an extended warranty or any dealer-installed options. They won't have much opportunity to pad their margins. I'm already preparing myself for the "hard sell" on the extended warranty. I usually have to say "no" at least 3 times.

20. jscango

jscango New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :D hahaaaaaaaa Thank You:p

I must confess though, I've always done the basic maintenance on all my other cars. Oil, filter, fuel filters, tune-ups (plugs), etc......

And after I read some of the threads in this forum my head started to spin.