1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what are my error codes? new user, old car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JaceZing, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JaceZing

JaceZing New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a prius with over 300,000 miles. should be 06.

Get problems where if cruise control is on (usually highways at 65mph) and I am running AC max cold, I get the triangle to appear. I lose cruise control ability, and then after a few days I get all my functionality back.

Today the ABS brake light came on and held a beep for a few seconds then went off...

61953818_396397390963345_6373026938008633344_n.jpg

Go easy on me, I'm a bit fresh here. :)

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The codes on the MFD mean nothing. Get yourself a Toyota capable OBD and then read those codes and get back to us.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For the love of God, get Techstream. It is the official software written for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. It can read ALL codes and is necessary for certain maintenance procedures. Bluetooth readers and all the apps are junk: can NOT read all codes and can NOT do maintenance procedures (bleed brakes, crank engine for compression check, ...).

Intermittent cruise control and/or other steering wheel button control is a sign of a broken clockspring cable.
    Read post #4 to determine clockspring cable is defective or not. You can also test the brake light switch.
    If the clockspring cable is bad, counterfeit cables exist on fleaBay for a few dollars. However, will they be able to blow the airbags should the need arise? Whats your life worth to you? Also, you will have to undergo this repair repeatedly, as the fakes do not last. Be careful of counterfeit Clocksprings / Spiral Cables sold online | PriusChat

ABS light is telling you something is wrong with the brake system. Coincidental that it came on after the earlier problems. Remember, the car is well worn, so all kids of problems popping-up should not be a surprise.

Skibob likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of the computers in the car—the brake computer is one of them—have ways of getting their codes to you even without Techstream, by blinking some lights while you count the blinks. There are various posts around here about that.

The beauty is, you don't have to be slowed down in diagnosing your brake problem while you shop and wait for your Techstream rig to be delivered; you can get at least the light-blink codes while you wait.