1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are Newest Electric Vehicles on the Road in Your Region Lately?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusCamper, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I have found in the Escape forum I recently joined, if any comments not related to the topic are posted, they get deleted by the admin without any warning sometimes. Not a fun place to "chat".

2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • To me, Rivians and Teslas all look pretty much like normal gasoline powered vehicles, except the Cyber Truck.
    • The Cyber Truck and Aptera look cool.
    • The gen 1 Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi i-MiEV looked kind of different.
    • From there the Prius (especially gen 2) seems to be the most outstanding car to me, other than older classic vehicles.
    • Some newer cars evoke a little nostalgia in me, like the VW ID.Buzz. But most of them are no longer manufacutred (3rd gen VW Beetle, 5th gen Ford Mustang, Chrysler PT Cruiser, etc.)

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's entirely untrue and I can prove it! You don't even have any references to back up your claim!

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I challenge thy challenge with the following evidence:
    Now where did I put it?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great more fake evidence that can't viewed due to an "error." Coincidence?

I Think Not!

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My region is not in America, so I'll throw in what I've seen at home, and what I've seen on the vacation (oooh, I said something in American) that I'm currently on.

Sydney (Home)

We have very limited availability. With the exception of the Audi e-tron (the big one that's now the Q8 e-tron), and in the last few weeks the Cupra Born, VAG hasn't released any EVs. Other notable cars that aren't in Australia yet include the Nissan Ariya, the Toyota bz4x, the Mustang Mach-e, any GM cars, any of the Stellantis (Peugeot / Vauxhall / Opel / Chrysler / Jeep) EVs, or any Renault EVs (apart from a few private-import Zoes). We also don't have any giant American trucks. There are big waiting lists for the Korean EVs.

With that in mind, we have the following:

- Absolutely loads of Tesla Model 3s. They're pretty much the easiest EVs to buy.
    - A lot of Tesla Model Ys, even though they were only launched in Australia a few months ago.
    - The occasional Model X.
    - Some Ioniq 5s and EV6s. But they have huge waiting lists, so there's still not many on the road.
    - A lot of Hyundai Kona EVs.
    - Quite a lot of Polestar 2s.
    - Quite a lot of Volvo XC40 Electrics.
    - Loads and loads of MG ZS EVs. I think they're the most common non-Tesla EVs.
    - In Sydney, a few BYD Atto 3s (Yuan Pluses in some markets). They were launched a few months ago, and they're highly sought-after, but the Australian importers keep messing things up, which has slowed deliveries.
    - Some old Leafs.

UK (Vacation)

Cheaper EVs are very popular in London, because of the Ultra Low Emission Zone in Central London: anything that's not an EV has to pay to drive into London. Outside of London, EVs are really gaining ground too, though.

- Loads of Model 3s and Model Ys, for the same reason as in Australia. Delivery can come through in a couple of months, as opposed to the 18 months or more for some of the new Korean cars.
    - Lots of MG ZS EVs.
    - Loads of MG5s. These are very common as Ubers now.
    - Even though they've only just come out - like a month or two ago - I saw a surprising number of MG4s.
    - Lots of the little Stellantis cars - Peugeot e208s, Peugeot e2008s, and Vaxhuall Mokka-Es.
    - Quite a lot - but not loads - of VW ID.3, ID.4 and ID.5.
    - A lot of Skoda Enyaqs.
    - Lots of electric London Taxis.
    - Lots of NIssan NV100 vans.
    - The occasional Mustang Mach-e, but not that many.
    - Lots of Kia e-Niros.
    - Lots of Hyundai Kona Electrics.
    - Quite a lot of Porsche Taycans.
    - A couple of Ora Funky Cats.

Italy

I was surprised at how few EVs I saw in Italy. Fuel prices are high, but no-one seems to be letting that bother them.

What I did see were:

- A few Model 3s and Model Ys.
    - Some electric Smart ForTwos.
    - Some Fiat 500es.
    - Quite a lot of Renault Twingos.

They lean toward smaller cars there because the city streets are so narrow, and EV sales mirror this - you can see that the non-Teslas are all very small cars. My rented Mini Countryman was terrifyingly big going through some of these streets.

Singapore

Again, not that many, which is surprising. I mean it's not like range anxiety is much of a thing in a country that's 50km East to West, and less North to South.

- Lots of Model 3s.
    - Lots and lots of BYD E6s. Most of them are Grabs (like Ubers).
    - Quite a lot of Porsche Taycans.
    - Lots of Nissan NV100 vans and taxis.

Vatican

- Some BMW i3 police cars.

Again, range is not really an issue. We got an Uber that dropped us ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE COUNTRY and had to walk almost 10 minutes - right across the whole country - to get to where we wanted to go.

#27 hkmb, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    PriusCamper and CR94 like this.
  8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I saw an Aptera at an intersection turning left. Went through the intersection pretty fast, but was able to confirm it was a three-wheeler.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Now I've seen two Toyota BZ4Xs. One in mid January on the freeway near my home, and one yesterday charging at a public charger in front of the a grocery store.

I took pictures, but if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seeing a lot of polestars here in orlando

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're not on sale here yet. They are in Britain, but while I've seen one in a showroom, I didn't see any on the road.

The one I saw in a showroom seemed less than brilliant. I'd looked at a Nissan Ariya on the same day, and while the Nissan is marginally more expensive, it felt like it was in a different league.

There's quite a few of them here now: a lot more seem to have appeared over the past few weeks.

Hope you're having a lovely time in Orlando.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, best weather we’ve had in 20 years.
    It’s nice to be out after 3 years of lockdown

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I haven’t listed many since I am in an EV friendly place.

I’ve seen bZ4Xes in both LE and XLE AWD forms, a Solterra with WA plates (actually just temp plates. Was so new, it didn’t even have the metal plates yet), EQS SUV (2 of them), EQS, Lucid Air (several times. Always black. Not sure if it’s the same one) R1Ts (all with US plates. No Canadian ones yet), 2023 Polestar 2s (with the new 20” wheel design), Wrangler PHEVs (2 or 3 of them), i4s (most are M50. I think I’ve only seen one eDrive40… no eDrive35s yet). iX (way more than EQS… probably up to 10 now). Haven’t seen the 2023 Niro but I’ve already test driven it so deliveries should be soon. Haven’t seen the new EV6 GT but there’s one at the dealership nearby… I should probably drop by and take a look.. maybe test drive it :D

14. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In my new town of Leawood. There are TESLA's Everywhere. Mostly Model Y,then 3, then X. A lot of Mach-e's, 2 Rivian trucks. and a fleet of the Rivian Amazon Trucks near Shawnee Amazon Wearhouse. I would say 500 of them.
    A few Porsche Tycan's.....and on the other spectrum a lot of Range Rovers and Disco's and a few LR4's. Several of the new Defenders.....Not one..Ionic...or BMW i3.....which I think is strange (n)

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Teslas, mostly 3's, and some "bigger" ones, say "dual motor" or whatever. Sometimes Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Kona, Chevy Bolt. Older Volt occasionally. Some high end ones, BMW something or other.

Tesla 3 are really common though.

16. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    In a radius of 1KM of where i live
    2 tesla model 3
    1 chevy bolt
    1 Polestar
    1 Ionic 5
    1 Nissan Leaf
    and 5 prius prime

dbstoo likes this.
  17. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Here are the latest stats of registration as of 31 december 2022 for the EV and PHEV vehicules for the province. The province of Québec has the population of Virginia, the climate of Maine and the size of Alaska.

170592 is the total of vehicules Ev and Phev on the roads, 41993 were added during 2022.

Market share of the most popular vehicules in the province

Tesla 13%

Prius Prime 7.9%

Chevrolet Bolt 7.4%

Hyundai Kona 7.2%

Of the 170592 vehicules 62% are EV and 38% are PHEV.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  18. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Teslas.......Yeah I have learned the ones that say Dual Motor on the back are Model Y usually have a silver Model Y license plate frame.....Plaids have a small rectangle on the bottom right that is ...well a Plaid Pattern.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Saw a Toyota BZ4X, a few days back, in a Coquitlam strip mall.

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mentioned the BYD Atto 3 earlier in this thread. The Australian importer seems to have overcome its supply problems, and suddenly there's a flood of them here. I must have seen 20 or 30 of them this weekend.

Since you don't have them in America, I'll link to a review - 2023 BYD Atto 3 review | CarExpert

It's very cheap for an EV - you'll see in the review that prices are A$45,000 - 50,000 including registration fees. For comparison, a base Model 3 starts at A$65,000 before registration fees, so it'll generally come out at closer to A$70,000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]