1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are people paying for insurance in 2019 ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stevebh, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Stevebh

Stevebh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what I'm paying with Travelers. Crazy.

Bodily injury: 2013 Prius $783.00 2007 Subaru $220.00 2016 Acura RDX $222.

Collision: 2013 Prius $649.00 2007 Subaru $128.00 2016 Acura RDX $149.00

Property damage: 2013 Prius $295.00 2007 Subaru $90.00 2016 Acura RDX $91.00

Anyone else run into these high premiums for their Prius ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    about a grande, but state matters

Stevebh likes this.
  3. Jchoi808

Jchoi808 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm paying about $650/yr on a 2015.

Stevebh likes this.
  4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About $450/year in NC for full coverage on a 2015...but with a perfect driving record .....no points, no tickets.

Stevebh likes this.
  5. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I pay $390/6 months full coverage in NC with State Farm.

Stevebh likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shop around and check different insurance companies. When I purchased Gen3 Two (2015 NEW) five years ago and added to my old insurance plan from Met Life. They quoted me almost ~$1000 just the Prius for 6 mo. I was shocked to find out such a high premium on that car. I had two other older cars on that plan at that time but the premium for two were half of the price they quoted for GEN3 Prius. I then checked with other insurance company for quotes. I ended up with GEICO. It was the least expensive for all three cars, and their premium for the same Prius and very similar coverage was only ~$300 for 6 mo. This included full coverage (no deductible collision and comprehensive) and max amount of liability they offered 100/300/300. I don't know what data each company uses, but rates are vastly different. I check quotes from other companies from time to time, but for me, GEICO continues to offer the most competitive rate for my car insurance needs to date. (Currently two cars including Prius Prime)

#6 Salamander_King, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    kc5dlo and Stevebh like this.
  7. Stevebh

Stevebh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all. Guess I need to shop around.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It seems to me that Insurance companies tend to reward loyal customers with higher premiums. It is time to change our insurance again. Last time we changed, we cut our bill by more than half. When I added my new '14 Prius 3 with Farmer's, It was cheaper than my wife's 2 year old Versa. I am sure location plays a big part but definitely do shop around.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Hopopotamus

Hopopotamus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Close to $1800 per year in NJ for 2013 Prius ... No points, clean driving record.

kc5dlo likes this.
  10. Sani

Sani Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What you pay for insurance is going to differ a LOT based on where you live, your driving and claim history, the driving and claim histories of everyone else in your household, what sort of coverage you have... These threads are kind of like trying to figure out if the price your local supermarket is charging for grapefruit is fair based on what someone 500 miles away is paying for a kumquat.

Insurance costs for auto claims have increased dramatically in the last decade. Far more vehicles now have technology that has to be accounted for in the event of collision repairs. What may have been a $350 bumper cover replacement 10 years ago could now run $1,500 or more because of parking and collision warning sensors that need to be replaced and recalibrated, just as one example. And of course, we've all seen the skyrocketing cost of medical care, and bodily injury payouts haven't gotten a break from that, either. The advent of smartphones provided a new distraction for drivers that have increased the number of accidents significantly.

For what it's worth, I pay $142.66/month, or $855.96 per six-month policy period, with USAA for the following coverages on my 2013 Prius III and a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L. $474.79 of that, or $79.13/month, is for the Prius:

Collision Deductible $500
    Comprehensive Deductible $150
    $500,000/$1M (per person/per crash) Bodily Injury Liability
    $500,000 Property Damage Liability
    $500,000/$1M Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist BI
    $10,000 Medical Payments (covers first-party injuries regardless of fault)
    $27,500 Personal Injury Protection (covers rehabilitation, loss of income, funeral expenses, etc.)
    Rental Reimbursement (multipassenger-class for the Odyssey, compact-class for the Prius)
    Roadside Assistance and Towing
    Car Replacement Assistance (adds 20% to the ACV if they are totaled)
    Earned Accident Forgiveness (at-fault loss won't increase my premium)

My wife and I are both 35, neither of us have any at-fault claims in the last five years, neither of us have received any speeding tickets in at least a few years, and we live in Johnson County, Kansas. I know we paid a significant amount more for less coverage when we lived in Florida. We have a 16-year-old son who has his permit, but NOT his license (yet), and I shudder to think what adding him to the policy will cost us when the time comes.

#10 Sani, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    WolfpackBill and kc5dlo like this.