1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the clicks I hear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by milkman44, Nov 16, 2011.

1. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sat in the car while waiting for the wife to pick up a some things at the store and after a couple of minutes, there was two or three click sounds. It sounded like it came from the left side of the car, like relays resetting. Then in a couple more minuted I heard another series of clicks that sounded like they came from under the hood. Anybody know what's going on, not concerned that something is wrong, but would like to know what is happening after turning the car off.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The manual talks about the car making noises which 'normal' cars do not make. The one in the front is the brake accumulator building pressure for the power brakes and the one from the rear several hours after turning the car off is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is an apocryphal story about a Toyota auto worker being sealed inside one of the cars. At least I think it is apocryphal.

;)

Tom

4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Some of the clicks are relays. Did you get a DVD with your owners manual? The DVD has a chapter covering the normal Prius sounds, it plays them and describes when, why, and where they happen.

5. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    These people don't know what they're talking about. Call an exterminator you've got a family of raccoons living under your hood.

6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius haters would say it's the hamsters moving from the wheel to their resting cage.

The startup noise folks occasionally experience is when the hamsters are confused and try to run in opposite directions on the wheel. One of the hamsters gets turned upside down and falls from the top to the bottom of the wheel. They then start fighting. Very nasty.