1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the collision avoidance specs?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If anyone has them handy. My old man memory thinks it is a maximum in the mid 30s mph.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    is this what you're looking for?
    precollision.jpg

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, thanks but I was looking for the threshold speed to not hit the pedestrian. This reads more like detection and not avoid impact. Did I get it wrong?

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The screenshot from the manual was from the PCS section, below I pasted the general description, so I think this is it.
    PCS (Pre-Collision System)
    [​IMG]
    The pre-collision system uses a radar sensor and camera sen- sor to detect vehicles and pedestrians in front of your vehicle. When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal col- lision with a vehicle or pedestrian is high, a warning operates to urge the driver to take evasive action and the potential brake pressure is increased to help the driver avoid the collision. If the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision with a vehicle or pedestrian is extremely high, the brakes are auto- matically applied to help avoid the collision or help reduce the impact of the collision.

5. Ducky

Ducky Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Testing the Toyota Safety Sense System | autoTRADER.ca
    This source suggests that if you're going faster than 20-50 mph, it won't be able to stop you in time to completely avoid collision. But that's quite a range and it's not clear what the basis for it is - maybe they taking into account weather, road conditions, etc.?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever the IIHS test limit is (seriously).

I think it's.... 19mph (30km/h) pedestrian, 25mph (40km/h) vehicle? (for the best chance of coming to a stop before colliding with the object)

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would need to know the detection range to know if you could stop at a given speed. Do we know what system Toyota is using? Mobileye? Looks like Toyota is in house for this system.

Maps and Nav are from a company called Here.
    HERE extends partnership with Toyota in North America
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20161229/OEM06/161229886/mobileye-here-agree-to-partner-on-autonomous-technolgy
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20170313/MOBILITY/170319950/intels-mobileye-buy-heats-up-competition-with-qualcomm

#7 JamesBurke, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    MNdriver likes this.