1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the exact replacement windshield Wiper inserts?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Dennis G Waller, May 25, 2021.

1. Dennis G Waller

Dennis G Waller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2020 Prius Prime
    Does anyone know whether there are exact windshield wiper inserts for this model aside from buying the inserts from the dealer which I assume will be outrageously priced? Although I have seen replacement wiper blades advertised on the web I fear they wouldn't fit properly because they are not exact replacements.

Additional info: Trico's website claims their 36-500 replacement rubber inserts will fit the OEM Toyota blades. Does anyone know whether that statement is correct?

Dennis Waller
    [email protected]

#1 Dennis G Waller, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    36-500 fit TRICO Windspoiler® and Toyota Original Equipment bridge vertebrae blades from 15" to 22"

The trico refills you referenced are not long enough for the driver's side blade.

I got the Toyota refills from the dealer for a few dollars more, $10 for each blade, and the wipers are the same as new.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Actually they aren't all THAT outrageous from the dealer.......considering that you likely can't buy just plain refills any place else.
    And other brands may or may not be "exact fit" no matter what the package says.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inserts from Toyota are amazingly inexpensive and they last for years. I got four years out of mine and so did my wife. I'm surprised you need them already on a 2020. Even without @PT Guy's helpful link, I found it easy to get the price. I walked up to the parts counter and asked the guy. :)

pghyndman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This. (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just replaced three inserts with Toyota refills. As mentioned, $10 each. Easy-peasy.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not found an aftermarket refill rubber for the OEM Toyota PP wiper blade, but this is the photo of the profile of the OEM refill rubber and measurements. If anyone finds an aftermarket refill that fits OEM Toyota PP wiper blade please let us know.

[3b3791a079ff48efa681a3bf253930f0]_Screenshot-2019-09-23T20%3A54%3A39.435Z.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't know about the Prime but on my 2017 the 16" rear refill grooves are different than the front wiper grooves. Why, I don't know...

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On many cars, rear wipers are totally different from front ones. Our Pathfinder has a short and fat OEM wiper blade on the rear, and I can't even find any aftermarket wiperblade that can be installed. As far as Prime goes, there is no rear wiper, so that is a moot point.

11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Toyota rubber inserts for the right (85214-78010) and left (85214-47110) wiper blades are the same on Prius Prime and liftback Prius cars, and I’ve posted before about the likely original supplier in Japan, Nippon Wiper Blade. The NWB aftermarket part numbers are AS70GN and AS40GN (for graphite) or AS70HB and AS40HB (for water-repellent coating), sold by many firms in Japan. After international shipping, however, these would cost more than the Toyota parts (U.S. list price $9.99 each).

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Like I said, different groove pattern... :D

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The AS in the Japanese part number is for "Aero Slim." I have the same type, different size, on my Mazda. They work fine for years, and they're easy to change when it's time. There is a small slot on the underside of the wiper blade. Push the insert back on itself to slightly compress & shorten it. Lead the insert's end out of the slot and slide the insert completely out. Start the new insert into the slot, slide it all the way in, slightly compress it until the end clears the slot, slide the end of the insert past the slot, and you're done. The blades disconnect from the arm easily with a push on the square button and snap back on. As always, test the reinstalled blade on the arm with a good jiggle to be sure it fully snapped into place.

AlohaPrius likes this.
  14. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    His location says Washington (state), so I suspect he's using wipers more than the national (or even North American) average. In my neck of the woods (Quebec), winter does a serious number on wiper blades. I usually go through a pair every six to nine months on any car I have ever owned (of course, I also drive about 200% of the distance each year that is usually driven by the average resident of Quebec, with many long drives in winter weather, so that might have something to do with it as well ;) ).

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I lived most of my life in Iowa, Colorado, and Ohio. I have a good 30 years of winter driving experience. I also got 6-9 months out of aftermarket wiper blades, as I recall. In the Florida sun, I wasn't able to make aftermarket blades last more than 2-3 months. The Toyota ones last for years. And we get lots of rain, too, although not as much as western Washington.

douglasjre likes this.
  16. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Well, this is my first new Toyota, so I’ll be very happy to avoid wiper changes for as long as possible.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope so. But even if they don't last longer than most, it's still a fantastic car. Enjoy! :D

Ovation likes this.
  18. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well then keep them clean.
    Wipe them down good every time you fill the gas tank.
    And if you have an EV or PEV, then do it every couple of weeks or so.

Ovation likes this.
  19. AlohaPrius

AlohaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your Product IDs are correct as I just bought them from local Toyota dealer. They still cost $9.99 each and fit perfectly in my 2018 Prius Prime. My original wiper blades last over 3 years here in Hawaii.

douglasjre and jerrymildred like this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Three years on the originals with OEM seems about right. I replaced min at about 3-1/2 years and that was a year and a half ago. Still looking good. A month before that changeout, I put Toyota's store brand (Sightline, iirc) on my wife's '17 Prius. They are still fine, too. Even in the FL sun.

douglasjre likes this.