1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are Your Thoughts of the 2016 Prius Based on the Spy Shots?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 22, 2015.

?
  1. I like it.

42 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. I don't like it.

42 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. I'm withholding my opinion until September 8.

68 vote(s)
    44.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Reports have been trickling in that they're forgoing Android for Entune yet again, so don't hold your breath on that functionality. Toyota can be stubbornly resistant.

2. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With uncompromised conventional cars like the Honda Accord pushing nearly 40mpg, the prius sales free-fall will continue. This new, um beauty-challenged design might even exacerbate it.

Most people would rather their money going to a nicer car than a hybrid drivetrain.

People have caught on to the fact that there isn't much difference between 40mpg and 60mpg.

[​IMG]

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way an accord gets 40 mpg, that's just hyperbole. ya, the only difference between 40 and 60 mpg is 50%.:p

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's a thousand gallons of gasoline over the first 120,000 miles.

This isn't all about economics. It's also about NOT funding people in the middle east who hate us, it's about preserving resources for our kids, and it's about emissions.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some people only care about their wallets.

iplug likes this.
  6. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    #46 UsedToLoveCars, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got 90 in my prius. people look at the spa test, not what someone at cr got.

8. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    996 gallons. only about a 33% difference. About $332 per year @ 12k/yr and $4 gas. That's not enough for most people to drive a noisy unrefined gutless prius. The Accord is selling better than the prius in California, and will continue to sell better than the prius, because you get a nice mid-size car for your $25k and not an econobox.

And the people who really care about emissions, resources and not funding the middle east have already bought an electric car.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    120,000 miles/60mpg = 2000 gallons.
    120,000 miles/40mpg = 3000 gallons.

3000 is 50% more than 2000, or 2000 is 1/3 less than 3000.

See, I've rented many modern cars lately (including an Accord, a Mazda 3, and others) and I generally find my 04 Prius to be much more refined than them. Much more linear throttle and brake response, much more predictable steering.

A Prius is NOT an econobox! Where did you get that idea? I can fit more people and things in my Prius than you ever could in an Accord.

I do care, and I have not bought an electric car. They are not practical for my usage - even a Tesla Model S P85 doesn't have the range I require.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    camry sells better than the prius too. what else is new? so does the f150 for that matter. you sound bitter my priuschat friend.(n)

11. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    bitter about what?

prius is going to lose is spot as a big seller and end up as a niche product. Simple as that.

Not that it matters a whole lot - in 10-15 years most car companies will go under due to on-demand self-driving cars dominating the market and causing a huge reduction in the number of cars needed. I don't see toyota doing anything to be a player in this market, so they're as good as toast.

I'm really looking forward to the self-driving future. I don't want to own any car.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I am rolling on the floor in laughter at the over-reaction of so many. When you look at it in some comparison makeups (to the GII and GIII), it sure looks like a Prius. ;) Do all those with extreme negative reaction just want to justify NOT buying a new Prius? ;)
    Just don't buy one. No need to spit all over Priuschat and Toyota.

Felt likes this.
  13. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And we have every Joe and Harry predicting Toyota's future and the future of Hybrids. I must say its impressive to see the world overflowing with intellect these days. No seriously, we have to try keep to the topic.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is $500 a year over the 8 years it takes to rack up those miles at $4/gallon. Which is how many people will view it.

I never had 6 people in my gen2.;) The Prius is a mid-size car, but it is on the small end of the mid-size scale. The new Corolla has a larger passenger cabin than the gen3. The Prius can fit more because it is a hatchback, but econobox isn't about just about car size. For the price of a price of the Prius, and person can get an ICE Camry instead. Which has more passenger space, and considered a nicer car by most.
    Polls show people do want better fuel efficiency for whatever reason. But they don't want to pay for. Otherwise, Toyota would be selling more Camry hybrids.

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To me, the usability of the lift-back, the fold-down rear seats and the fold-flat front seat make my 04 bigger than any mid-size car.

Last weekend I had me, my son, three model airplanes including one fully-assembled that is 1.55m long and 1.4m in wing span, a huge field box, three tool kits, my transmitter case, my camera bag, a gallon of water and lunch, and I had room to spare.

There aren't many cars of any size, much less midsize, that could take all of that. Minivans, trucks and vans are the usual vehicles for such stuff.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how some here don't want a prius, and don't want anyone else to buy one either.(n)

Data Daedalus, cmth and Felt like this.
  17. Cozynest

Cozynest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was super disappointed when the green and blue renders were leaked. I was really expecting something clean, futuristic and understated, like the NS4 concept. Instead we get more weird overstyling. I think the spy shots look much better than the renders, so I have high hopes that the ugliness will somehow diminish when I see it in person. I really do think its worse than the new Prius V front end.

18. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I upgraded from an Accord to my Prius and wouldn't go back if the Accord got 60mpg.

Accords do some things well but for my usage any sedan is functionally challenged.

Just because lots of people buy something does not mean that its really the best option for them let alone for other people.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  19. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    UseTiLoveCars - I wasn't going to "pile-on." I dismissed the comments as "must be a Californian."
    Then I read the profile: "SF"

What made be key-up, is the statement about self-driving vehicles. I won't say never, but I will say, not in my lifetime.

Just as a side note. The world famous architect, Frank Lloyd Write said something like ...
    "If the world were tipped up on it's edge, everything loose would fall into California.

bisco likes this.
  20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have any study, polls or research papers to support your claims?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.