1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are your thoughts on the Gen. 4 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Shea McCoy, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find this really funny, because I was determined not to get a Gen 4 Prius. It took just the right color combination to get me past the things I really didn't like about the looks. Now that I have dealt with the white bathroom fixtures, I enjoy the interior of the car and several other things about it I am able to appreciate:
    • The entire drive train is much more refined. Accelerator response is perfect, braking is much smoother and more predictable. The transition from EV to hybrid to regen is so imperceptible.
    • The quietness is of the interior is almost shocking!
    • The steering feels very agile and nicely weighted and engages perfectly at just the right rate.
    • The suspension feels like that of a car costing a lot more. It has isolation from road imperfections, but is not soft and squishy. All types of body movements are really nicely damped too.
    • Almost no body roll! My 2010 in comparison feels like a fat hippo rolling over on its belly.
    Strange that Toyota put so much thought and development into the technical driving aspects of the car, but the design part of the project was not as unified. It seems like they had 3 teams of designers working on the car who did not agree with each other or communicate much.

#261 Jim in NC, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    3bebe, Bay Stater, john1701a and 3 others like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes!

3bebe likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you shocked the world!(y)

4. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been wondering about that myself. It does seem a lot of the design choices were aimed more at getting the car a new look from non-fans than reinforcing the virtues that have long appealed to current owners. We pulled the trigger on one for ourselves, but I'll admit it was a closer call than I would have expected; I contemplated leasing a Gen1 v while waiting to see its Gen2, Ioniq, Niro, etc. but the missus is quite the loyalist. We are VERY glad we waited for the Gen4 rather than settling for the Gen3 a couple years ago, so there's that.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well if it is real 'toe tappin' music.'

Bob Wilson

6. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Some people were talking about auto radio sound adjustment. I noticed this weekend when driving with my husband that we were on the freeway and the radio was at volume 2 and it was fine (he likes the radio softer than I like it). I would imagine though that there had to be some auto adjustment based on speed in order for the radio to be down so low and still enjoyable on the freeway.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they probably figured, with most hybrid enthusiasts captured, they had to try something radical to get others on board, even at the expense of losing some existing customers. it's a strategy they may have been inevitable, no idea if it will work, or in non hybrid owners will now buy a prius because it's 'sporty' with a radical design.

8. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Don't most long running models go thru the change. I was very upset at times on what they've done with the ford mustang.

BTY - On antiques roadshow, they had an antique mustang pedal car that was evaluated at $4,000.00 That what I paid for the real one (brand new) many, many years ago...

#268 I'mJp, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  9. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Except for the forward forking of the light assemblies, I really like the front end styling. It is growing on me. I love the overall profile, and the floating rear roofiline is growing on me in spite of its blacked out plastic fakery. I don't think I will ever get used to the pinch beneath the rear spoiler in the rear view, however, it is very awkward looking.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 2016 Prius designers leaned heavily on the current trends. There's not much good about this, leads to a creative monoculture, and a lot of strange, impractical excess.

Just to pick one facet of this: the blacked-out zone at low-to-central zone of the rear fairing, serves no purpose, looks jarring, but everybody's doing it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps it looks normal to everyone else then.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You got me there.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is ASL (automatic sound levelling).

The 2009 Jaguar XJ was way ahead of the times then with its blacked out C-pillar. But yes, Nissan is applying the floating roof design on its Maxima and Murano models.

[​IMG]

14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What Mendel Leisk is talking about is the rear valance, the black part at the bottom of the rear bumper, for what it's worth.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, this:

Capture.JPG

(I am confusing things by calling the rear bumper a "fairing", sorry.)

16. PeterKG

PeterKG Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would think if this was true the Gen 4 Prius would look like a Hyundai or Kia. I like my Prius precisely because it doesn't look like every other car on the road. Last night while I was sitting in a restaurant people were walking around my Prius taking pictures of it. I don't think that kind of thing would happen if they couldn't stand the look it.

ATHiker, Bay Stater, krmcg and 2 others like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hyundai is the worst copycat automaker on the planet. they have never had an original thought.

18. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my first ever new car as a Hyundai i20 two and a half years ago - prior to that, I'd owned lots of 15 year old bangers. I enjoyed owning almost all of the old unreliable cars more than that Hyundai - it was no improvement on Nissan diesels 25 years it's senior. I could have forgiven all the bland looks and uninspiring drive if it came anywhere close to the quoted economy (94 mpg highway - a lifetime of semi hypermiling left me with 64 mpg in 40,000 miles). The plan was always to keep the car 10 years, to make it a good economic choice. Ownership of it made me so cross and miserable, I gladly got rid of it at a loss to take ownership of my lovely Prius - which I am now wishing it was already time to go to work, so I can drive her! Just 15 more minutes....

19. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought that was the most words I've seen used to describe "floating roof" until it was explained you were talking about the rear bumper. The Touring just adds to this excess with even more random gingerbread back there.

As for floating roofs, I first noticed this affectation on the last Nissan Murano update; I didn't think it looked bad exactly (at least not on that crossover), just gratuitous. As it's showing up in more places, though, it's starting to look like opera windows and whitewall tires - just a dumb fad that's going to be hard to explain later. I hope it stops soon. As noted in earlier discussions, in the Gen4 Prius it's just another random design fillip tossed into the blender that poured out that noisome rear quarter, and on lighter colors especially (including the ever-sensible silver) it makes things worse than they would otherwise be. I expect a mid-cycle refresh for the Gen4 more significant than anything we saw on the previous gens.

3bebe and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is very eloquent ben, are you a writer?