1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are your thoughts on the Gen. 4 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Shea McCoy, Dec 26, 2015.

1. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ha ha ha - thanks bisco -not quite, I'm a salesman! English was my best subject (under a different sun, I'm nearly 40). Spent a long time practicing as a wordsmith finding new ways to express my disappointment at Hyundai in various forums, or chatting on Fuelly about diesel and Scanguages. Won't be needing my Scangauge E in the Prius (stock eco gauges so much better, plus I'm not cluttering the beautiful dash). Speaking of sales, I need to be cracking on, got a lot of postcards to write to a lot of schools....

2. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that's a somewhat dated perspective. It was certainly true in the days of the "faux Jaguar" Sonatas and Optimas from a decade ago, but by the time of the "fluidic sculpture" '09 Sonata, I'd say Hyundai/Kia was a styling leader, as much influencer as influenced - what exactly is today's Kia Optima a "copycat" of? Toyota in particular seems to have been shaken out of its bland slumber by Hyundai's more radical exterior treatments, the competition moving it to more "exciting" sheet-metal.

On the HEV technology front, they've patiently beavered away at their P2 drivetrains until the latest Sonata hybrids are actually pretty impressive. I'll be taking a close look at the Ioniq and Niro when they show up - unlike the late unlamented Honda Insight's lame IMA system, the Ioniq's new generation P2 drivetrain, especially matched with the Niro's high-utility compact crossover form factor, may actually provide the value-oriented Prius alternative that Ford didn't quite deliver with the C-MAX.

Steering back to the thread's intent, the arrival of these new Koreans will likely put even greater pressure on Gen4 Prius pricing. Looking past this summer, if gas prices remain low and Hyundia/Kia deliver the goods, the Prius is just not going to be able to command the sort of premium Toyota would prefer. The somewhat lower cost but significantly lower value Prius c is particularly in the crosshairs - if the Ioniq and Niro come in somewhere around Prius c pricing (as seems likely given the lower cost of a P2 drivetrain), the c is probably going to be coming with some rebates next year, and will need to see major improvements if it's to avoid going the way of the Matrix.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never seen a hyundai i was attracted to, but that's just personal taste.
    why would you say it was hyundai that shook prius styling up?

btw, in case you missed it, in an auto review, the ionique refused to go up a hill.

you have a lot of 'ifs' in there, but i agree that competition is good for the consumer.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, but the Ioniq (as much as Hyundai says it's a Prius fighter to gain attention), is one class smaller - If anything, it'll compete with the Auris Hybrid which isn't available in North America. The Auris is our Toyota Corolla iM. Of course it'll be cheaper than the Prius. The plastics used in the Ioniq are closer to Gen 2 Prius than Gen 4. Again, it's just for targeting the price point. Honda did the same with the Insight II. The difference is that I think Hyundai will actually deliver on price point and value. Honda didn't, especially in Canada. Hyundai also won't skimp on features like Honda did with the Insight II.

5. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understood - which is why I pointed out the biggest threat is to the Prius c. If Hyundai/Kia deliver more car for less money (their long-running formula) with a hybrid system that delivers high real-world MPG, even if not quite as high as the c, the rationale for the c gets pretty thin. If the Prius LB is too rich for your blood, a trip down to the H/K dealer might be more satisfying than a walk across the lot to partake of Toyota's "hybrid for the rabble." [Have I mentioned I really don't like that car? :sick:]

6. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The proof is in the pudding! 60.81 MPG (imp.) for my first tank beat my heartily disliked Hyundai i20s first tank of 60.74 MPG (imp.).
    The Hyundai was a 1.1 3 cyl diesel, with a fake 94 MPG (imp.) claimed - tricked me into buying it and left me with a miserable 2 and a half years, 40,000 miles of ownership. I managed 64.1 MPG (imp.) over that tedious time. Unimpressed with Hyundai cars, Hyundai dealers. True the Prius is twice as much - and feels like it! The Hyundai never felt worth the £13,000 it cost.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh. Yes I agree. The c was a good proposition but now is outclassed. It needs to see the same cost reduction that the Prius Liftback has seen (or perhaps the Liftback is subsidized greater in North America, leaving the c to be priced accordingly, hence the price differential is small). Compact cars are edging into Prius c territory but are coming with way more features - almost as much as the midsize cars. Yes the 2016 Prius c has TSS-C and Bi-LED headlights which should help it but the next gen needs to step it up. The base model shouldn't be arriving with cheap fabric and a one-piece front seatback. If so, it'll be compared to the Mirage. If it comes with decent seats and decent seat upholstery, then at least it can be compared to the Mazda2/Yaris, Fiesta and even the Micra. Now that the NiMH can be fit under the Prius Liftback, hopefully they can fit a denser battery under the next gen Prius c to allow greater EV driving (i.e. greater engine off time) and boost the mileage to match the Prius Two Eco. It'll probably retain the rear torsion beam suspension but it'll be better tuned (Didn't the Golf have a rear torsion beam at one point in its life? It still handled reasonably well within the constraints of the design).

It's two (three?) classes larger, more powerful, more high tech and more luxurious to boot!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of priuschat members love their c's.

9. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first floating roof I can recall is the 1986 Mercury Sable.

I liked my '13 c very much. There are some things I miss about it. A few things on it are superior to my Two Eco.
    That said, so far the Two Eco is getting nearly five MPG's better than the c, and I have not even gotten into the high mileage warm weather yet (winter lingers into May at 9000 ft elevation). That is remarkable considering the Two Eco's 500 extra pounds, the far cushier and far quieter ride. The roads where I live are just junk, and the extra firm suspension on the c was hard to take. I don't regret trading it in.

bisco likes this.
  10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Golfs had torsion beams from the equivalent of model year 1975 through 2003 in Europe, model year 1975 through 2005 (2006 GTI had IRS)-2006.0 (2006.5 Rabbit replaced the 2006 Golf) in the US. Torsion beams reappeared for the equivalent of model year 2014 in Europe on low-trim cars, and for model year 2015 on TDIs in the US as part of their cost reduction strategies.

Volkswagen did a LOT of work with fancy bushings to get the torsion beam to handle better, and it worked pretty decently (I mean, I've got a 99.5 Golf TDI, most of my issues with its handling are related to the slow as molasses steering rack ratio). Problem is, Ford brought out the Focus with an excellent independent rear suspension (in the equivalent of model year 1999 in Europe), and Volkswagen was forced to catch up (as the Focus became one of its biggest competitors). (Ford's also got decent torsion beams, in the Fiesta, though. I have other problems with how the Fiesta drives (namely, no driver feedback), but the actual handling is quite competent.) For the Prius c's class, torsion beams are considered completely acceptable, and they improve packaging (which is actually why US-market 2015 Golf TDIs got them - it helped with packaging the urea tank) and reduce weight, so I don't see any reason for Toyota to go away from them on a Prius c.

Ultimately, though, $19.6k for a base Prius c (OK, nobody's paying that), or $25.5k for a Four with 16-inch wheels and TSS-C (also, nobody's paying that) is way, way too high for a car that, as you say, is best compared to the Mirage (at like $13-16k). (Or, for that matter, the Yaris, except for the Yaris's awful MPG - and that's reflected in the Yaris's sales being less than half the Prius c's in March. The Mirage, OTOH, sold significantly more than the Prius c.)

Another strategy that might work for Toyota (although risky) is to make a decontented One trim of the Liftback with a torsion beam (bringing this back to the Gen 4), to reduce costs and make it more accessible to buyers that would have bought a Prius c. The problem is that it risks tarnishing the Liftback's new, sportier image.

Bay Stater and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the awesome info!

It was a lot longer than I thought. Recently, I was under the impression that the standard in the compact class was the Golf for the balance of good handling and ride comfort. We had the last generation of Corolla with IRS and it rode really well.

I think Toyota's intention is to move the Prius Liftback upmarket and let the Prius c cover the affordable end of the spectrum. The idea is to get more people into a hybrid so have a separate model that can be focused on lowering the cost and to provide a vehicle that is fuel efficient, compact (easy to park), ultra low emissions and reasonably priced.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes no sense though, the size is too different. people want a cheap lift back. you can't go up market with such a small percentage of vehicles.
    that is, if you're really interested in capturing more of the market.

13. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The other possibility I've thought of is that they could go for converting a locally produced model, much like their European strategy, where instead of the Prius c, they produce the (somewhat smaller, but otherwise very closely related) Yaris Hybrid in France, and while the Liftback is available, the (somewhat smaller, but otherwise very closely related to the Gen 3 Liftback) Auris (Scion/Corolla iM for the US market) Hybrid produced in the UK sells better. That would also be dependent on whether a TNGA Yaris is produced in North America, of course.

As far as pushing the Gen 4 Liftback upmarket in general, while I'm considering one due to the massively improved driving dynamics, I'm not sure I see that as a winning strategy - go too far upmarket, and you're competing against BEVs for the green dollar... although are they really pushing it upmarket, or just into a different market? MSRPs after accounting for inflation, except for the base Prius I, for the 2010 model are fairly similar to or higher than (and extend higher than) the roughly equivalent 2016s.

#293 bhtooefr, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that we don't have the Auris Hybrid for that sweet spot of size, power, price and value.

In Canada, the Camry Hybrid is actually the best seller, not the Prius. Even though it's more expensive (CAD $27-$36k vs. $26k-$32k for the Gen 4), it's larger, more comfortable, decent size boot and more powerful. It looks as if buyers are willing to sacrifice some mileage to get that combination of space and comfort. Granted, the Prius was in the exact same price range ($28k-$36k) in 2010 with a slight price drop in 2012 ($26k-$34k) and some decontenting on the top model so the Camry made more sense even if it lacked a few tech features like DRCC/PCS and the solar roof.

We'll see if the tides turn for this year with the aggressively priced Gen 4.

I agree, you can't push it too far upmarket. You also have to leave room for the CT. Also, you can't just start adding things without changing the basic interior. You can add leather, moonroof and heated/cooled seats but if the plastics are the same as the base car, then it looks like a cheap car with expensive options. I know the Gen 4 has different materials between the base Two/Two Eco and the higher trims. The Gen 3 had different pillar coverings for cloth seat models vs. leather (or SofTex) models but that was too minor and only on the top model so I don't thing anyone noticed.

15. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if the CT actually could be safely displaced, however, at least in the US.

The luxury market tends to not be a fan of hatchbacks unless they're lifted into small crossovers, although liftbacks work (Model S, Audi A7, Panamera). Could something closer in concept to an HS 250h (but with sportier chassis tuning) work better here? Or, possibly, the IS 300h? I'd predict 39 city, 36 highway out of such a car, though (comparing US vs. UK ratings for 17" wheel CTs, and the 17" wheel UK market IS 300h (base CTs in the UK having 15" wheels, base IS 300hes in the UK having 16" wheels)), which doesn't sound that impressive, though, but then the 43/40 from the CT 200h isn't that impressive either.

The other thing I could see is maintaining the Liftback's shape in a second-gen CT to improve (or maintain, possibly) the highway mileage, but upgrading to a larger-engined version of the Gen 4 Prius drivetrain (think revised 2AR-FXE like in the Camry and RAV4, instead of 2ZR-FXE). This would improve performance in a straight line significantly, although with an obvious hit to fuel economy - I would predict something on the order of 45-48 MPG city, 40-45 highway out of this, guessing based on the current Camry hybrid and a few other extrapolations, so in a similar range to the current CT on the highway, and better city.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you currently driving?

17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2000 Miata (not the one in my avatar, that was my old 1992) and I've got a 99.5 Golf TDI that I'm planning on selling soon. My target is to get a replacement for the Golf by winter, and a Gen 4 Prius is the frontrunner.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had a '91 miata for 12 years, put 27,000 miles on it. i still miss it sometimes.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read an article (maybe it was on lexusenthusiast.com?) that the next gen CT could become a crossover like the GLA or X1 so perhaps Lexus is thinking of going that route. I don't know if it'll keep the CT name. I know Lexus was a bit slow to come out with the NX. I don't blame them since the RX is a fantastic seller even though the admission into the Lexus SUV family is high (compared to the competition which already offered compact luxury SUVs).

Someone looking at a Lexus doesn't need a vehicle with Prius-like mileage. I think the 2.5 litre HSD setup strikes a balance between performance and fuel economy, especially if it's on a lighter vehicle than the ESh or ISh.

Actually come to think of it, an alternative is to offer the CT as a plug-in hybrid. But it'll have to grow in size. (And it might, if Toyota decides to put the CT onto the Prius' TNGA platform)

20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So you're thinking the CT's successor could be a Yaris-sized (to slide in below the NX) crossover - basically a tall Prius c with the full-size Prius powertrain and e-Four? (Problem with GLA and X1 comparisons is that the NX is already the competitor in that size class.)

Could work, I've seen plenty of Buick Encores around (which is a Chevy Sonic-based crossover, and would likely be its closest competitor), and they're 5 mm longer wheelbase than the Prius c.