1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are your thoughts on the Gen. 4 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Shea McCoy, Dec 26, 2015.

1. jen140

jen140 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I owned a 2010 Prius V, not Five because it is a 2010....with tech pkg, etc... planned on getting the ''new'' Prius - but last week I went into my dealer to get a new key battery and there sat the ''new'' Prius. YUCK. and the final straw was NO SPARE TIRE, nor any room put one. (husband's car has no spare, didn't know it until he got a nail too close to the sidewall....car was new, no one had a replacement tire, so it sat for three days.) I immediately had them search and find a new 2015 model 5 - my car's twin was located and I picked it up. The 2016 just lacks the refinements of the older style. Interior looks cheap, you loose a lot of storage, headlights cheapened up.... Sorry, but they missed the boat on this one, and I hope that in a couple of years they change...

#161 jen140, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new 2015! (y) you can get gen 4 models with a spare.

sorry you missed out on the quieter, smoother, more comfortable, better handling, improved mpg 2016.

3PriusMike, vince22 and krmcg like this.
  3. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I feel the same, could care less about
    interior design, tech package and interior quality, I have another cars for that matter, I like the exterior design,improve handling and better gas mileage for $23k car.

#163 vince22, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Perhaps its the model or all the cool electronics, but after my first 1000 miles with the 2016 I think it is in a different league than my wife's low mileage 2010 that we have been using on the weekends for the past 6 years, and feels better than my Saab ever did (I think, it was falling apart towards the end).

Two different people used the word "Batmobile" in my presence since I brought it home, but in just over a week the styling seems, well, normal. To me, anyway.

I am thinking the 2016s are well compared to Scotch or the Rolling Stones-- God awful when first exposed, but absolutely brilliant once you settle in with them for a while.

fgp, DonD, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wholeheartedly agree.

6. Prius Five Guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suppose the upside if there is one, is that the GEN 3 exterior look/design won't look completely outdated until the GEN 5 debuts. BTW, couldn't agree with you more about the lack of refinement; especially the reduced storage capacity.

7. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't been excited about a new car release in a while. But when I saw the new Prius debut I was really taken by the design and really like it even though I have not seen one in person yet. I am confused on some of the statements on reduced storage I thought the Gen 4 increased over the Gen 3. Am I missing something?

8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Missing one of two glove boxes on the passenger side. The drawer (from the Gen 2) in the center console. And most of the under-storage area storage.
    There is plenty of open storage area.

3PriusMike and bisco like this.
  9. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For me the single and smaller glovebox is not a hardship as it fits my emergency pair of binoculars (and really what else do you need when you can put your bird book on your phone) but I do wish there was more storage under the carpet in the hatch.

On the 2010 there was plenty of room for a "good" set of triangular reflectors, and such. Not so on on the spare-free model I just bought. 0nly a few small cutouts to fit odds ends that are too shallow to suit my purposes.

On the plus side the twin drink holders up front are superb. I appreciate the detail that went into them, including the section between them that depresses to accomodate a coffee mug with a handle, and the griper thingies that keep it snug. Really nice.

Two othe ergonomic improvements are that the foot rest for your left foot is actually in the perfect position (for me) and the arm rest height is good.

Stevevee, krmcg and bisco like this.
  10. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if it is like the 2nd Gen Fit it had two one on top was to plug in a Ipod.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    na, the upper glovebox is pretty much useless. and there's no usb or 12v in there. it barely holds a small revolver and a change of underwear.

GREEN BAE and DtEW like this.
  12. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So on a whim I went to see the new Prius. Didn't want to test drive because I knew I wasn't buying now (told the salesman as much) but he was eager and insistent. So off I went.

Well I had just gotten out of my Prius and in the rain got in a 2016 Touring three in gray (same color as mine).
    I have to say it was the first time I saw it in person and while I really didn't like it in photos, in the flesh it really looked sharp and not nearly as polarizing. Especially the gray color seemed to tone down the looks (They had a blue and it was definitely more of that polarizing feel to the look). It also had the black insert on the toilet and that looked really good, also toning down the cheapness in a big way. I Most definitely will not buy a Prius without the insert. The dealership must feel the same way because both cars had the insert.

Right off the bat while the seats are comfortable they do not seem to be a huge improvement to me. No lumbar in the three touring is a disappointment, especially because I am locked into that model because I won't get a car without a spare tire. The black softex looked and felt fine. In any event let's talk about the ride and handling. This is where the biggest improvements can be found. In the rain the car is just levels above the 2010 in quietness and sophistication. The wet road surface noise was far, far quieter than in the 2010. I assume it is due to additional sound deadening in the wheel well.

I didn't want to scare the salesman but tried some slightly aggressive cornering and it feels very buttoned down and takes bumps really well. The gauges are nice but almost to much customization. I could see my wife pressing the steering wheel by accident and not know what the heck is going on. In any event they at least look like they are now not stuck in the 1980's. The back seat is certainly tighter but not a deal breaker. I am tall and with the seat all the way back I can squeeze behind me.

Overall My impression is much better than when I walked in the door.

DonD, rcsting, krmcg and 1 other person like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice balanced write up, thanks!(y)

krmcg likes this.
  14. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're welcome. By the way as you can see I am one of the first members of Priuschat, even earlier than indicated because I remember the server or such going down and all dates being redone, in any event I've had the 2 and 3rd generations (both in their first year) so I really know how they feel. The gen 4 is really a different class of vehicle as far a driving dynamics. Is it perfect, of course not. I want my lumbar, my second glove box, I even want the hidden storage from the Gen 2, and a spare tire, come on that is a must and for me non negotiable.
    All that being said, after seeing it in the flesh and driving it, I want one more than ever.

arnesto, bisco and krmcg like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, there's a lot of things we'd like to have back. i felt that way going from gen2 to 3. it is what it is, and i'll be moving to gen 4 as well.

krmcg likes this.
  16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

You are absolutely correct. I originally thought the Gen4 looked like crap and I hated it when it first came out and based my opinion on looks alone...

I recently test drove one and was very pleasantly surprised and have to admit that my opinion has changed.

Does the rear end look weird and "star trekky"?.... Sure it does, but it does drive very nice and seems to be a very well rounded vehicle that has been improved from the previous generation mpg and comfort wise. somehow they did away with that momentary delay when you first press the GO pedal..... which is awesome.

bisco likes this.
  17. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    well, im going to have to take back one of my earlier reactions to pic of the 2016 prius as being butt nice person ugly (yes that was me). in person its isnt pretty but not quite ugly either. i saw and sat in a couple of 4 tourings. VERY comfy, quiet. nice gages. nicely impressive. the dealer got me a lease price. for 3/36 with 2000 down it work out to be $330 a month. not tooooo bad. this was an eco 2 in black ( which i think will look best given the black pillars etc)
    .....anyway that is my report for now. ill get more serious in a month or two as the lease on one of my cars will be up
    fred from nashville

bisco likes this.
  18. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eco in black will be awesome. congrats.

19. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    well, today i went to a local prius dealer and sat in a new 2016 touring 4 model. first, in person, its nicer than i thought. i had called it butt ugly by the pictures but its nicer and easy to get used to. it was VERY comfy. the gages were much nicer. the ride is infinitely nicer and firmer in a very good way.
    .....just in passing lease rate was $2000 down $330 a month 3/36
    fred from nashville

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that a nation or a world of 40+ MPG cars is much better than a world of 17 MPG cars. Prius has made a huge difference in my fuel costs and obviously, on a national scale, this technology has taken a real bite out of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Prius proved that hybrid technology works, that it's cost-effective and durable. 80,000 miles on my 2012 Plug-in Prius and zero repairs, only standard maintenance and a set of tires.

I don't think the solution is moving cars from 50 mpg to 75 mpg, it's in getting the 15-30 mpg cars and trucks out of production, or boosting their mileage.

By summer, this car will be paid for and I expect I'll enjoy it for at least five more years before getting a new car. The next car technology I'll buy is probably self-driving, and that should be ready in five to eight years.