1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What "Brand" motor oil do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2uy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This was purchased September 2016, from a Canadian dealership:

IMG_6423.JPG

RCO and wjtracy like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch, my in laws had maverick around that time. i used to maintain it for them, made my fiat look good.:p

3. 2uy

2uy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to stick with Toyota brand.
    fully synthetic

#23 2uy, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Tande, jerrymildred, bisco and 2 others like this.
  4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have usually gotten oil changes at Jiffy Lube for my last two Accords since I don't ever need to make an appointment for service, and they use Penzoil which years ago was top rated on CU.
    But this time they wanted to tell me I HAD to use synthetic because it was a hybrid. After challenging them on that (owners manual says nothing about synthetic, only about 0W-20) they then said they only had 0W-20 in full synthetic, which their regular price was $99 though I had a coupon that would have made it $79.
    I am just researching now about oils and Toyotas, seems 0W-20 is rare as a conventional oil so Jiffy Lube has a point, just presented poorly.
    Being here in Florida, I bet 5W-20 would be just fine despite the owner's manual saying that you should switch back to 0W-20 on the next oil change. Even during winter where it might get below freezing, one year even in the teens for several days at a time, 5W-20 should be OK.

I found though that a Toyota dealer near where I work has a special on oil change with synthetic for $34.99 until 10/31 so I'll probably go there in the next two days. It won't show what the normal price is thouigh.
    I just went over 10K this week on my 2016, bought it mid-August with 4400 miles. I don't know if the dealership (not Toyota) had changed the oil when they had it, but sounds reasonable to change it an even 10K and try to do tire rotations every 5K.
    My last 2011 Honda Accord calculated maintenance intervals automatically, generally indicating maintenance needed every 10K. I believe it based when and what maintenance was due based on driving conditions. I have no idea why Toyota hasn't adopted this, especially for their hybrids.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, my issue with Jiffy Lube was a blessing in disguise. Having bought my Prius used from a dealer other than Toyota, I didn't realize it was still eligible for ToyotaCare. My 10k maintenance was free.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

acceleraptor and RCO like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My dealership sells Toyota 0W20 (synthetic) for $5.91 in bottled litres, and $4.50 for bulk litres. Those are Canadian dollar prices, so a about $4.43 and $3.38 respectively, in US currency.

The price of oil varies wildy: over in England it's stratospheric?

7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @DanMan32 said "I have usually gotten oil changes at Jiffy Lube for my last two Accords since I don't ever need to make an appointment for service, and they use Penzoil which years ago was top rated on CU.
    But this time they wanted to tell me I HAD to use synthetic because it was a hybrid. After challenging them on that (owners manual says nothing about synthetic, only about 0W-20) they then said they only had 0W-20 in full synthetic, which their regular price was $99 though I had a coupon that would have made it $79.
    I am just researching now about oils and Toyotas, seems 0W-20 is rare as a conventional oil so Jiffy Lube has a point, just presented poorly."

When I had my Gen 2 Prius, the manual said I could use 5W30 or synthetic. One Jiffy Lube person was quite rude about using 0230, so I complained. Apparently, he had a history and was terminated.

My Gen 4 Prius requires synthetic, so I'll stick to that and go to a certified hybrid mechanic when my Toyota Care expires.

RCO likes this.
  8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually Gen 4 does not explicitly state to use synthetic. However, it becomes incidental since 0W-20 seems to only be available as synthetic.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Synthetic and oil grades are two things. You could for example, find 5W30 in synthetic or conventional oil. And yeah, Toyota never mentions synthetic, just grade(s). Either will work fine I think. I've been using the (synth) Toyota 0W20 on our Prius and our son's Civic, and conventional Toyota 5W20 on our daughter's Pilot. The latter because it's also available through my nearby dealership, for $3.50 per liter.

10. David E. Edwards

David E. Edwards Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

11. David E. Edwards

David E. Edwards Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a higher standard for motor oil than GL-5 and it is Dexos. It's a standard developed by
    GM for all of their automobiles world-wide. It meets all of the GL-5 requirements, but GL-5 will not quite
    meet what Dexos requires.
    I have been using it in my Acura since it was required by GM about 10 ago and now its in my 2017 Prius.
    About a year ago I removed the valve cover from my Acura with over 200,000 miles and the inside looked
    brand new.

Mendel Leisk likes this.