1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What brand tires do you have on your Gen5?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jun 20, 2023.

1. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Looking at reviews of the Toyo Extensa II it is a value mid-range grand touring tire, but really not a premium tire. It's unfortunate that with a car as great as Prius Prime that Toyota wouldn't use a better tire. I'll live with it for now (maybe get snows) but when they go I hope to upgrade and bet it will make the car drive even better. Is that possible?

Preebee likes this.
  2. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    i’ve got Toyo’s on my Limited! how do you think they’ll be in mid western winters? These almost looked like summer tires, I think a lot of it has to do with mileage numbers..especially on the top trims! We’ll see how the AWD is this winter! They seem to be nice rolling tires, I haven’t done much freeway, driving but smooth asphalt surfaces are quiet!

3. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m also curious how winter handling will be. I’ll certainly report back with my findings once the snow falls. According to Toyo’s own ratings (scale of 1-5), the Extensa A/S tires should be decent in the snow. IMG_8958.jpeg

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The tires are your first line of defense against bumps. High tire pressures prevent them from doing their job of absorbing cracks and micro bumps. All the little chatters go right through the suspension. The car makes micro shifts and microbances non-stop. It's beating you up and beating the car up it doesn't really help feel the economy much anyway does it? I don't recommend higher than about 37 psi. Anybody here got some real world data on how much improvement you actually get in fuel economy from higher pressures and what that hair pressure is?

5. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    My 2023 Prius Prime XSE Premium has the Michelin Primacy 195/50R19

6. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky! On the bright side, absolutely no complaints on the Toyos.

7. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just set mine at 38 all around!AWD car I guess the dealer didn’t adjust pressure we’re between 50 and 54 pounds! i’ll let you know what I think I am breaking it in was varied speeds, but I really like the quickness of this car! Never liked radar cruise in my RAV4 hybrid but I’m getting used to it! I think this car is going to be a pleasure to drive✌️

8. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Effect of tire pressure on mpg: collecting data | PriusChat

Found roughly 0.5% improvement in MPG per 1 psi increase.

While this post found roughly 1% improvement in MPG per 1psi increase:

Effect of tire pressure on mpg: collecting data | Page 2 | PriusChat

On my 2009, I often ran 3 psi (38) over in the front and 4 psi over (37) in the rear. Went to the dealer for an oil change / tire rotate once and came home with 40psi all around. I called the service manager on it. She told me I would get the best gas mileage and wear pattern at that pressure, but no one officially ever stated 40psi is the best set point.

#28 tovli, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    douglasjre likes this.
  9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Checked and mine were 31 today. Raised em to 37. Gonna b a rough ride

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much did they charge for dealer prep? Maybe contact them about this; they didn’t do their job. Would there be a check list?

11. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    2023 yellow prius prime.jpg Michelin on a yellow Prius Prime XSE Premium at an Ontario dealership (car was already sold).

Perpetual Waffle likes this.
  12. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I already gave up in getting the correct tire pressure from our local Toyota dealer after each service!

it didn’t matter what the checklist says. The most common mistake was switching the front and rear tire pressure. Sometimes, they changed the tire pressure I requested as my preference and it got even worse when tire rotation was done during the service and I had different tire pressures all around!

I complained to the service manager many times and even had him check the tire pressure right before I drove off. All he did was apologized and I made sure to check it again at home!

In addition, during 3 separate occasions between my Gen 2 and Gen 3 services done, I had flat tires right after the service or maybe I just didn’t notice them before I dropped off the car but I was a little suspicious since no warning light came on???

They found one screw still on my tire and the other two, I noticed after I left the dealership. I had to replace the damaged flat tire that they found since the screw was too close to the sidewall.

it could’ve have been a coincidence but nevertheless I spoke to the service manager and showed him the screws which could’ve been from the service area but he told me the working area was clean and free from debris such as nails, screws, other metals, etc.

#32 flim, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    tovli and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. JDS4

JDS4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have had a problem even finding any 195 50 19 tires to price. Neither tire dealer near me (Discount Tires and Les Schwab) carry that size and every Toyota dealer that I have been to has said they have to special order them.

tovli likes this.
  14. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Tire Rack has it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=dcc893f378281f0f59c7f75f07195195&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+A%2FS&partnum=95HR9PAS&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Michelin_Primacy+A%2FS_Tire&code=yes&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=95HR9PAS&ef_id=ZKx-SAAABPYREyJQ:20230710215936:s

15. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Tire Rack has it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=dcc893f378281f0f59c7f75f07195195&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+A%2FS&partnum=95HR9PAS&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Michelin_Primacy+A%2FS_Tire&code=yes&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=95HR9PAS&ef_id=ZKx-SAAABPYREyJQ:20230710215936:s

16. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

I am equally curious. From the looks of them I am not optimistic. But at least I can now shut off the traction control with a button instead of a "dance".

17. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I'm still trying to find snow tires for wife's XLE 19 inch - unobtainium. Will have to find 17 inch wheels and tires. Glad the Michelin 19s are available (A/S) at tire rack now.

18. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Keep an eye out for Blizzaks. They make one in the 19" but it's currently only available in Japan. I'm hoping Bridgestone will start distributing it in North America before this winter hits. It's not my first or second choice* for a winter tire, but it's a perfectly good option if there's nothing else. If I have to go with the 17" "aftermarket" option, I'll probably just put my 19" wheels in storage and go with a year-round Nokian WRG4 or Michelin CrossCountry 2 all-weather and call it a day(I don't put on enough miles in a year to justify dedicated snow tires).

*1. Nokian Hakkapaliitta, 2. Michelin X-Ice

Nntw likes this.
  19. planetarian

planetarian Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Toyo Extensa A/S on my XLE AWD delivered about three weeks ago. Stock pressure at around 35~36. I've found myself pleasantly surprised at how smooth the car rides, even on patchy roads, and haven't found it particularly noisy compared to the other cars I've driven.

daisy555 likes this.