1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What brand tires do you have on your Gen5?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Numtini

Numtini Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Prius Prime XSE in Mass. Toyos at 38-39psi. Really quiet at home where the roads are kept up. Vacation with some rough highways and potholed streets in the county was pretty damned loud.

2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Michelin Primacy All Season:
    55,000 Miles Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty. ...
    45,000 Miles Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty.

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus comes with a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty

Toyo Extensa A/S: Up to 75,000 miles

Always seems like tread life claims are B.S., but perhaps Michelins burn faster. Any opinions?

daisy555 likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi A question for those of you with Toyo Extensa tires. I’m mostly concerned about traction in the rain although hate noisy tires too. The reviews for other Toyo Extensas say they aren’t good in the rain.

Great traction in the rain is critical for me. I was in a bad accident years ago and freak of I don’t feel secure in the rain.

#44 daisy555, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just learned that OEM tires that come on the car have manufacture defect warranty but don’t come with mileage warranty but knowing their ratings certainly helps.

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you guess why I’m asking this? : } I bet you can. The Prius I let go of was “supposedly” purchased by the person who was in line for the second one that arrived on Sunday night. Dealership texted me today saying they bought the one intended for me which is possible but it’s strange the second one has been sitting there since Sunday and they waited until Weds to tell me this and guess what…this one has Toyo. $360 less than Michelin. Toyo less expensive to replace but I need quality traction. We get intense rain storms and not enough snow for me to switch to snow tires.

I was kind of enjoying my break and looking forward to waiting at least another 6 weeks. I know you can’t request the tire you want but when I called Toyo to get info on the tire she said if you want Mich just tell them you won’t buy the car unless they switch the tires out. Oh boy…

#46 daisy555, Aug 2, 2023
  7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you driven in the rain?

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you driven in the rain? Your experience with traction and noise. Thanks!

9. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I would suspect the answer depends entirely on the level/frequency of snow in your area. They will be just fine for me in Western North Carolina. We're coming off another FWD with pretty standard tire tread and had no issues with it in snow up to about 10". Ice is another matter altogether!

10. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've driven at length in heavy rain with the Toyos with no issues whatsoever.

daisy555 and samsprius1 like this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This is going to sound slightly smart-assed but... if you are in torrential rain, shouldn't you just slow way the hell down lol? I read that hydroplaning can start as early as 35 MPH. If the rain is dumping and you can barely see, you shouldn't be going very fast right?

The only other issue I can think of are bald tires. Your tires will be brand new. You've got to imagine that major tire manufacturers are testing their tires for hydroplaning tendency and designing them to perform adequately. I've driven in all sorts of weather and can't remember EVER having weird hydroplaning experiences. And I've driven in some really heavy shat! I think a little common sense goes a LONG way on this issue. :)

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/maintenance/hydroplaning/

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Mr. Smart-Assed :love: I slow down but the body remembers. Actually the scariest was when I was a teenager. Complete spin around going down hill on black ice when being driven to school. Fun times!

#52 daisy555, Aug 2, 2023
    Preebee likes this.
  13. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That is my experience with same tires. On a smooth blacktop it is pretty quiet. If you are on a cement or rough surface highway, at speed it is VERY loud. I can just turn up the music, but if the most important thing to me was a quiet ride, this would not be the car, or at least not with these tires. I like enough other stuff about the car that I will deal with it.

14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering why when I search “Gen 5 tires” this thread doesn’t show up.

Anyway as I mentioned in another post somewhere my test drive on the Toyos was noisy. My 2009 sounds better and it’s probably my nice tires. Plus I could hear a wind like noise on drivers side that I didn’t notice in the other Prius. You would think the noisy tires would have drowned it out.

If they were a common size tire, I could switch them out and sell them but not this unusual size.

I guess I’ll have to accept whatever tires come in the next allocation and hope for better quality control and no wind noise. For now I and you have a break from all of this. I will enjoy some time with my Gen 2.

#54 daisy555, Aug 4, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  15. Toymeister

Toymeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Florida Prius Prime XSE lucked out with the Michelin Primacy 195/50R19. I was expecting the Toyos, I'm happy with the Michelins.

daisy555 likes this.
  16. Edward Morgan

Edward Morgan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus 195/60R17 90H. No opinion yet.
    201363.jpg 806-15244.png

17. JAB_23XLE

JAB_23XLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I got the Michelins on mine. I took delivery in early June. I don't think they are very noisy.

18. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I can vouch for that. Not a fan at all. When I eventually put winter tires on, I may just let the tire shop keep the Toyos so I don't have to deal with them in the future.

19. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My road noise complaints have expired. The more I drive this car the quieter it gets. Some of that is no doubt adaptation, but I find myself still noticing just how quiet and smooth it drives. And I've had it two months now!

Tires are definitely broken in, and they perform admirably in the twisties... :cool:

daisy555 and HacksawMark like this.
  20. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks! I'll withhold final judgement until I have a few hundred miles on the car. Right now I'm only at 71 miles.

Preebee likes this.