1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What brand to purchase TransAxles from?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ana Hernandez, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Ana Hernandez

Ana Hernandez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I've had some experiences already with different brands while purchasing Axles left & right/CV joints. Not even the original ones in the car had sign of a bad axle, boot in perfect condition, joints covered same for every other brand I bought after the first ones "went bad" (noticed thru symp. Of vibration at high speeds, clank when turn left or right & when accelerating). No physical noticeable defect, but I still hear clunks ONLY when accelerating, decelerating, braking, or releasing the brake, accelerating on hill or going back on a hill. Since people keep on suggesting they're bad CV joints, my question is:

What brand should I buy for people that be been thru this? Because Toyota wants the charge me around $3,000 for both sides. Any other less expensive trustworthy alternative brand?

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Will you be doing the work yourself? OEM Toyota parts HERE are $750 for both sides.

A little pricey, but of known good quality.

3. Ana Hernandez

Ana Hernandez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Im
    I'm either doing it myself or having my mechanic do it. But I search it for my 04 on the link you provided and they don't add up for $750 to me, more like $900.

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    43420 Drive Shaft Assy/LH: $350.46
    43410 Drive Shaft Assy/RH: $400.47

Also available at NAPA Auto Parts: $104. But I can't vouch for the quality of the NAPA parts. In my experience, NAPA offers more consistent quality than most of the other chains. But it varies from part to part.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    when cv axles go bad, they rattle while turning. a clunk is more likely from a bad motor mount, although someone had a counter weight break off the rear motor mount and it got stuck and was causing a clunk.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Most" of the time, the cheap ones at auto parts stores are regrinds. Only use "regrinds" if you're planning to get rid of your vehicle in a year...or less.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I did notice at the NAPA site that they had remans for about $75. The parts specified as "new" are $104.

8. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had to replace my left front axle assembly about 6 mo. ago . ( extended warranty paid for it. ) It made a clunk when turning not a rattle. boot got knocked off and burnt up bearing.