1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what broke and why can't toyota find it.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zmyr88, Oct 24, 2015.

1. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    long story short. I floored to what ever it took to get to 65 from 20. to merge on the highway. afterwards the following. car has under 25k miles.

steering wheel. vibration, ^ engine noise. (light knocking noise) , and possible loss of power. and
    mpg loss.
    {
    now when the ice runs. unless im at 50+mph
    its hovers between 35 usually 25, mpg and 15/10 range on the instant display.
    and ESPECIALLY when you first start and that say first 3 minuets. where the car wants to use the traction motor to assist for what I assume is EPA related (probably to warm the cat converter I assume). I remember it holding unless you pushed it. at almost 100MPG
    } I know what some daily driven trips used to get and what they get now is at least 10mpg less.
    and it seems to favor switching to electric only more often than I remember.

Toyota:
    drives the car 13 miles
    runs health check. trans. engine. HSD, battery.
    no fault codes. and my scan gauge still doesn't find any.

result: they can't reproduce problem. says the car is fine. I can't get a fault code. checked the fluids doesn't seem to be any leaks.

I have an elm327 and torque and a tablet. what should I be logging that might help find out what the problem is. if someone gives me a list of what pids. I will log them on its next trip. and upload.

2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    If I'm understanding you correctly, nothing you're describing really sounds all that unusual to me. MPG is poor when you first start the car because the ICE runs to warm itself up in preparation for driving.

mertechperformance likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    internal engine damage? would that log a code?

4. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Biggest is that it's different than before the incident ... And I always remember that first say 15 seconds because it uses the motors the instant mpg read at 100... It's significantly different... Was wondering what I could monitor in scan gague that might help me figure if it's the transmission or engine or motors I might want them to take a deeper look. Something is wrong and I wanna know how rather than an expensive goose chase

5. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll upload when I get a chance some values I'm tracking I'm sure if there is someone will notice . Specificlly I notice that mg1 != mg2 when on electric only ... This I always remember being exactly the same and reading it has to be .. Mg counteracts the other one on the ecvt transmission

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll probably have to get toyota tech info, and mini vci to monitor parameters.

7. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    MG1 is not the same speed as MG2 when on electric. MG1 is substantially faster, which is why the ICE must run over a given road speed; to slow down MG1.

I can help you, but your writing style is borderline understandable. Not an insult, it just is what it is, and what it is is hard to understand you.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IIRC, below 68f the car will activate the ICE warmup routine much sooner. Change in seasonal temps? Rough running might be poor gas or weak spark.

Codes would really help.

9. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cold weather is a mpg hit, has there been a drop in temps in your area?