1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What browser do you use?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., May 21, 2012.

?
  1. Internet Explorer

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Firefox

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Google Chrome

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Safari

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Opera

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Netscape

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted Firefox, which is my go-to browser of choice...however (comma!) both of my employers are wedded to IE, so I'm forced to use that browser more than I care to.
    The rest?
    I've tried them. I'll stick with FF....given a choice.

2. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Chrome on my laptop and Dolphin on my Galaxy Tablet.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Microsoft a month ago at a meeting mentioned the USN was converting from Windows xp to Vista - speaker wondered why not convert to Windows 7? Skipping Vista would save the costs of a conversion not to mention the obvious stability issues. Oh, and they had been using IE 6.....that in combo with Windows xp is what hackers love. :eek:

It will be interesting when the full-blown IE 10 comes out

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Vista!

:eek:

:doh:

Tom

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I had ever installed that Vista CD, I would have become a MacAddict.

My Windows xp upgrade was as horrific as the typical Vista stories, compounded by dealing with a collage-age tech at the almost defunct CompUSA that could not give a rats-a$$ about my desktop....he wanted me to spend another $200 for the full xp CD and no refund for the $100 upgrade, AND delete all my personal data. :mad::mad::mad: I took it back to a mom-and-pop store to get it fixed with no loss of data for $100. :) Why is CompUSA out of nearly out of business? :p

I joined Windows 7 Forums and the response to my OCD tweaks from their forum gods was: "Relax - this is not Vista you are dealing with"

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Safari and Chrome use the same underlying engine, webkit. I use Chrome most because I like the clean interface, but the two can be counted together for marketshare purposes.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.
    That's the Canoe Club for you.
    232 years of tradition...unfettered by progress or technology.

Actually....the NMCI system is probably reason # 457 of why you don't the US Government to run anything (like health care!) The contract to upgrade the OS has probably been perking through the GSA for 5-6 years now! :eek:

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A developer of the best Chrome/Safari extension ever modified Adblock then took is down right after April Fool's Day.

See why I wish he puts it back.

9. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Safari and Chrome use Webkit, but Firefox uses Gecko (and IE calls their engine Trident). Chrome and Safari have the most support for upcoming HTML5 standards. IE (9) has very little support for HTML5 right now. That's probably not too surprising since Google and Apple have been pushing HTML5. So far, the one feature that I'm surprised about is the current video standards. Even though H.264 is becoming the most popular digital video standard, it's the alternate tag to the main video (that is by default ogg).

you can test your browser:
    The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Some neat HTML5 demos:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/media...ouget/html5-dashboard/demo_package/index.html

As for the poll, I can't answer one since I am currently developing anatomy curricula and test on Chrome, Firefox, and IE.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was using Firefox I had to use Safari for some web sites when FF would not render them properly. But Safari on my Mac is sloooooow. I have yet to encounter a web site where Chrome failed to do the job, and it's much faster than Safari. The web site rendering problem is one reason I never went back to FF after they supposedly fixed the bugs that were making it crash.

Yet, their performance is very difference, so I would not count them together. I still use Safari on the iTouch because it's the one that came with it. When Chrome comes out for the iTouch I'll probably switch. Maybe not right away. Give them some time to work out the early bugs.

11. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Here is how various browsers fare against HTML5:

Maximum possible points: 500

Brower............. / Score / Bonus points
    Maxthon 3.3.7...... » 437 15
    Chrome 19.......... » 402 13
    Firefox 12......... » 345 09
    Opera 11.60........ » 338 09
    Safari 5.1......... » 317 08
    Internet Explorer 9 » 138 05

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps people more versed than me can chime in, but I suspect a lot of what you have noticed is different versions of Webkit. Chrome updates more frequently than Safari, and WebKit is not a monolithic program. I'm not sure e.g., if the javascript engine component are the same tree.

13. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Webkit is a series of standards: Chrome and Safari are different programs. Webkit is a series of standards and formats that tell the browser/API (Chrome or Safari) how to render objects and what HTML/CSS/Javascripts will be interpreted and executed. It's up to the software developer to still come up with an interface and compile for a specific browser. Here is another anecdotal test which shows quite a difference between Chrome vs Safari scores:

The BIG browser benchmark: Chrome 18 vs Opera 11 vs Firefox 11 vs IE9 vs Safari 5 | ZDNet

I do think it's a bit funny that they chose to run these tests on a modern 64bit computer. Since 32bit versions of these programs are compiled differently, Safari and Chrome's scores could even be inversed in that scenario: memory allocation and driver support are big deals with programs. Myself, I'd rather have a stable browser vs a split second faster one. I used to be a Firefox fan until I hit one of their versions where it would crash all the time on my Win 7 dual Xeon workstation.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As davesrose points out, using the same toolkit to build a browser does not mean you'll end up with essentially the same program. They may render web pages similarly, but may be very different in many ways, such as features, behavior, and bloat, which can slow a program down. On my system, with both browsers running but their windows closed, simply opening the program window and going to a web site, Safari is frustratingly slow, while Chrome is very fast.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Switched to Chrome a few years ago. Was impressed, from day one, by its speed. I am perhaps mentally ill to the extent I am intolerant of slowness from my tech devices (PC, phone) and Chrome loads almost instantly and, of great additional importance, its new tabs do open very close to instantly. Contrast with IE it takes magnitudes longer and this is insufferable to me.