1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What can influence EGR cooler clogging?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Ronald Doles, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    YOUTUBE videos.........................

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Two more videos on coolant change and inspection or maintence mode.

3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That isn't what I was asking for. This thread has been talking about collecting data before and after an EGR Cooler clean since ChapmanF posted this yesterday around 12:30pm.

This is the person I would like to hear from:

I am about to do an EGR Cooler clean and all that, and I think I have all the info I need for that task. What I am asking for is detailed instructions to get useful EGR Flow data out of my 2013 Prius V:
    1) Before Cleaning or Disassembly: "measurement of EGR flow" that indicate how clogged the computer believes the EGR system is.
    2) After Disassembly, but before cleaning: Pictures and measurements (if possible) of the actual carbon buildup.
    3) After Cleaning: Pretty pictures of the cleaned parts, including the spare EGR cooler I bought on Ebay.
    4) After Reassembly: "measurement of EGR flow" that indicate how much less clogged the computer believes the EGR system is.
    If enough people do this, and we get enough data points, we should be able to estimate how badly plugged a given EGR system is, by asking the computer for measurements instead of disassembling the system. If the computer tells us that the EGR Flow rate indicates 20% clogging, then we can tell the person they can wait. If the computer tells us that the EGR Flow rate indicates 60% clogging, then we can tell the person to panic, and get the job done soon.

I have volunteered my EGR cleaning as a test case. Problem is I am unsure how to get the best data for EGR flow.

I have two options to get the Data:
    1) Torque Pro on my Android Phone, assuming somebody tells me what Mode $6 PID to monitor, and how to format the command. And this assumes I find my Bluetooth ELM 327 adapter, which is currently AWOL.
    2) TS on my laptop, assuming somebody tells me where to look, and assuming I can get TS to work again.
    Apparently I failed to notice that ChapmanF's blue words: "keeping an eye on the car's measurement of EGR flow", actually point to another thread, Perhaps this post should have been there. It looks like I need to get TS working.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy!

For me, however, I find no need to monitor the egr,

My 2012 Prius v has 25,500 miles on it. I changed the engine coolant on it, yesterday. The coolant looked like it was new.

In the next 10 years, it will probably not get to 50k miles.

#64 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  5. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I finally got a clue, and followed you over to the regular Prius thread: "keeping an eye on the car's measurement of EGR flow" . My questions are mostly answered. I managed to find an install of TS that worked. I found the EGR Monitor data, and I took a screenshot:

EGR-2013PRIUSV-094.290.miles-PreClean.jpg

This is the result of the the most recent EGR test on my 2017 Prius V at 94,290 miles. It is June 22 2021 in Philadelphia. It has been humid, and temperatures have ranged from 70 to the low 90's over the past week. This 2013 was driven 300 highway miles about a week ago to pick up my 2017 Pruis V. This 2013 has seen a few days of short trips and at least 1-2 days of my wife commuting 15 highway miles each way to work. Nothing unusual. No Uber driving yet.

I found a place to clear all of the monitors, but the data persisted. The I fiddled with some other features, like putting the car into inspection mode. I checked back, and the Monitor data was now cleared. With the data cleared, I can run the car around and get some more data points before I start taking the EGR beast apart. If I postpone the EGR surgery until next week, I can get 20+ hours of Uber driving as a test this weekend. I'd like to get 5 EGR monitor tests from before the EGR Surgery.

It would be helpful if someone can post the "confirmation driving pattern" from the repair manual section for P0401.

6. Priustec01

Priustec01 New Member

Vehicle:
    1999 Prius
    Model:
    One
    None of my vehicles have ever had a plugged egr and I make sure to run the tires off them and have never had the same issues others have had. Yes I have repaired my fair share of plugged egr tubes. Now I am either hitting the sweet spot that induces a lot of constant egr flow or maybe I am just the most luckiest guy on the planet. Either way it was just my opinion on the subject... If ya don't learn something new everyday, your not doing it right

7. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you old school, where oil changes always happen at 5K miles?