1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What car did you come from (B.P.)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 3ics, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 3ics

3ics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before Prius - what car did you have before? I have reached a point where a Prius seems to be a good fit for me. I have had SUVs, wagons, fun "toys", but feel like the "benefits" of owning a Prius is ideal. I currently have a VW GTI manual that I enjoy, but being tempted by 50 mpg and a low cost of ownership etc.

I have driven a Prius twice this week, III with solar package and coming from 200 hp and manual to hybrid and cvt is daunting. However, my rational side is intrigued and excited for a Prius.

I have been reading PC for the past few days and learning many things about it, but did not seem to notice a similar thread. So "Thanks in advance" and "Sorry in advance" if this is a beaten topic.

2. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I came from a 200 hp 2009 Honda Civic Si, 6sp manual transmission. That car average 26 mpg but was fun to drive. I miss it but still glad I have my PiP that gets amazing MPG. Plus I still have my Kawasaki ZX10R (1000cc supersport motorcycle) to keep me sane. :D

Edit: my wife came from a 2012 Hyundai Elantra that supposedly got 40 mpg on the highway. She averaged 18 mpg during the winter with a remote starter. She's loving her C!

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I went from a 1996 BMW 318ti hatchback, manual transmission, to a 2012 Prius c Three. I test drove the Prius liftback and the V before deciding on the C. I've had it almost a year now and am very happy with it.

4. 3ics

3ics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FTL & Rainking - Thanks for the feedback.

I do feel fortunate I will have a Miata for fun and an old BMW project that is screaming for attention.

I guess I want to be practical for a daily driver and interested in other people's experiences before jumping into a Prius.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i traded in my 01 taurus for an 04 prius. then an 08 and now 13. amazing vehicle, it will take a lot to pry it out of my cold dead hands.:cool: btw, sold my 91 miata in 2004. don't miss it, great car, but every time i took it out, all the congestion on the roads ruined the experience.:( welcome to priuschat, all the best!

6. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PC, from one newbie to another.

I've had either full size vans or full size pickups for the last 28 years. I need to be able to tow (boat, golf cart) and haul stuff. However, since our son got out of college and moved to northern Idaho to find work, I need to get something more fuel efficient. I've been from eastern Iowa to northern Idaho and back 4 times. It costs me $800 in gas for each round trip. I'm getting a Prius but still keeping my current full-size all-wheel drive van.

(If all goes well, I'll have my Prius this week)

7. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    09 Nissan Maxima which I still have. After driving the Prius all week the Max feels like a rocket ship!

8. Sparkman 3

Sparkman 3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I traded in my 2005 350z roadster..it was a lot of fun to drive- but useless in the winter, the prius I can use year round..and the wife loves driving it. She wouldn't go near the drivers seat of the other car. I still have my awd minivan for those snowy days

9. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2007 Honda Fit Sport ( auto ) Great car in many ways. We got close to 40 mpg on many trips. It's still in the family.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 VW Jetta TDI wagon. Both cars are transportation appliances although the TDI was more fun to drive. Prius gets about 5 mpg better on cheaper fuel and I don't even have to think about reliability anymore.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2004 Nissan Quest van was starting to give us transmission problems. Faced with possible major transmission service/repair/replacement, we got a Prius.

Edit: The twins were big enough to ditch the car seats/booster seats, so the Prius has adequate room in the back.

The only things we miss are all the room and seating for 7 ppl. But we get over 2x the mpg the van ever got on the highway. My wife loves the Prius. :)

12. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    88 Camry, still drive it daily.

13. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

got rid of a chrysler town and country for the prius, still have a '07 mx5 touring and a '00 prowler

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I came from a tricked out 2009 Suzuki SX4 hatchback touring model. I absolutely loved that little car. It was one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned. Unfortunately, Suzuki's dealer network was horrible and eventually killed the car line in N. America.
    Fortunately I offed it just before Suzuki collapsed.

15. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Before we got our first Prius a year ago, I drove a Jeep Liberty and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited before that. The Liberty was a 6 cyl engine that was a blast to drive, but not to fuel at 15mpg.

I was hesitant to test drive the Prius, but quickly loved it. I can easily fit the monthly Costco run in the back. More importantly, my bike fits with the rear seats down.

It's a great car. I hope that someone makes a convertible hybrid or electric someday.

16. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Currently transitioning from my 2008 smart for two passion to a 2012 Prius Plug-in Advanced.

I really loved the smart. As a two seater it was perfect for my daily commute across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco. I park on the street near work and the smart made finding an all day spot easy.

What I won't miss are the outrageous prices for parts, repairs & maintenance. Daimler really needs to adjust their shop prices to match the car's selling price.

17. rekniht01

rekniht01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went from a 04 Subaru Outback to the Prius. The Outback was great for traveling, but the mileage was just so-so. It could reach 30mpg on the highway, occasionally.

We went looking for a smaller more efficient car. The Prius wasn't on the radar until we sat in one and drove it. We gave up a little on space, but have doubled our mileage. And with no maintenance for 2 years, it will be worth it.

We still have an older 97 Subaru legacy for getting dirty and hauling stuff.

18. BCP

BCP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I traded in a 2004 Lincoln Navigator on my current 2010 Prius. It was a great truck with a lot of room, power, and very comfortable, but the 5.4L DOHC V8 loved gas, to the tune of 11-16 mpg avg. At current gas prices, it was usually around $100 to fill the 28 gallon tank. Growing tired of spending so much on fuel and essentially not going anywhere other than to work and back home, I started looking at other options. The Prius has been a big change for the better. Now I want to drive it all the time since fill-ups are cheaper and it lasts over twice as long.

To keep me sane, a Mustang still resides in the garage. This is my first Toyota and first hybrid - I've mostly owned other Ford trucks and cars, including several diesels.

WE0H and Tim Powell like this.
  19. Tim Powell

Tim Powell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I came from a 2004 Mercedes E320. I miss the luxury, but not when I'm passing by the gas pump! :)

WE0H likes this.
  20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WE0H likes this.