1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Car Did You Drive Before Your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Husker4theSpurs, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Mugenrd1

Mugenrd1 New Member

cars we own currently :

2008 Toyota Prius
    2004 Lexus RX330
    1998 MBZ ML320
    2005 MBZ C230

2. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in my Citroën C2 1,6 VTR for my Prius. The Citroën had the sensodrive gearbox (manual transmission with automated gearchange, no torque converter) and was great fun to drive. My avatar shows my old car at the Nürburgring.

3. gsatlanta

gsatlanta Southern Comfort

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

The last car before purchasing my 2007 Touring Prius is a 1991 Mercedes 300E. I still own the 300E as we been together for so long and it is a solid automobile with 180K miles. My Prius is now my primary mode of transportation and love the fact that I'm getting three times better gas milage driving around Atlanta. The 300E doesn't have a lot of electronic features...hell Mercedes didn't even put cup holders in the cars back then. I do wish the Prius had a sunroof as I miss that the most but like driving the Prius and really like its effeciency and comfort as well.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I drove a Dodge RAM 2500, full size passenger/cargo van.......quite a difference kind of vehicle.

5. CDAVIDANDERSON

CDAVIDANDERSON Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 10 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]523729[/snapback]</div>
    I drove (and still have) a 2003 BMW M3 with sport seats, TC Kline Racing suspension, Brembo brakes, various engine mods, the whole works. What I miss in daily driving is the lack of understeer in the M3, and the utterly stable feeling at higher speeds. The stiffener plate sold on this site has helped, but I am planning to get better tires (probably Pirelli P6) and the Japenese suspension kit to help things out more. I also miss the great visibility in the M3, but a partial compensation is that I drive slower and, being in the carpool lane usually, don't switch lanes very much, so rear visibility isn't that big an issue anymore.

The seats on the BMW are great, but the Prius seats are fine, and easier to get in and out of.

I got a Prius to drive in the carpool lane in LA, but should have gotten it years ago. I always assumed I would be giving up a lot in terms of driving pleasure (a properly modified M3 is one of the best handling cars there is), but when a friend loaned me her Prius for a day, I was stunned at how satisfying it is to drive. It could be that the 295 lbs of torque off the line is key, since even the new 2008 M3 doesn't have more torque than that. I also love the practicality of the hatchback.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota 4Runner, 23-25 mpg.

7. finiyon

finiyon Re-Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2005 Ford F150 SuperCrew @15 mpg -- Black and Gold w/ leather, sunroof . . . loaded.

8. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Oct 12 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]524838[/snapback]</div>
    5'11", 200lbs

9. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know I don't have the new Prius yet (another 62ish days to go), but it will be replacing my 2006 Chevrolet Impala.

MAB

10. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]

Traded for an 08 White Touring #6 Friday.

[​IMG]

I've already installed EV. Removing wheel covers is next. Tried the "homelink" abilities on my garage door opener and it apparently isn't compatible.

Ride is nice, rides smoothly, relatively quiet interior. So far, so good.

I DO miss my keyless entry on the door for times when I am not carrying my key.

11. CEguru

CEguru New Member

a very nice BMW 5 series

My only regret...that I didn't do it sooner.

12. sfoxnj

sfoxnj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My previous car was a 2000 Jetta TDI. I bought that for commuting 30 miles each way and didn't want to do that in an Ford Explorer. The Jetta is fast, sporty, has a great sound system and gets 40mpg. It also has a huge trunk. But the Jetta has very little space in the back seat. I now have a 3 year old and needed more pasenger room. The Prius fit that need very well. I am in the process of selling the Jetta and drove it again after 6 weeks in the Prius. I couldn't belive how much more I like the Prius. There is much more room around the seat. I'm 6' 220lbs and I don't feel sandwiched in anymore. The seat itself was not as comfortable at first, but either it is changing to fit me or I am getting used to it. Now I can have 3 other adults as well as a carseat in comfortably. Sound is not as good, but I'm not cranking it anymore with the small ears in the car.

Before the Jetta:
    Ford Explorer
    Toyota 4 Runner
    Honda Prelude
    Pontiac Grand Prix

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 13 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]525242[/snapback]</div>
    Did you try using the Rolling Code method?

14. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 14 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]525553[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I did so according to the instructions both in the manual, then the website, then the book. I'm gonna call the vendor and check model numbers. Thanks for the response, though.
    I'll advise when I have something to report.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 14 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]525625[/snapback]</div>
    sure thing!

16. luvtotravel

luvtotravel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I traded in a 2004 Acura TL. Great car and I miss the Bose radio.
    But I love my Prius.....the high mpg, comfy leather seats, the way it cruises and surprisingly the convenient hatchback. A great car for dogs since there's so much room once the seats are folded down. Now they always want to take rides.

17. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for all the replies .... I basically wanted to know what you missed about your old cars vs what the Prius offers, etc. Thanks so much again!

18. mchaconcr

mchaconcr New Member

We actually have a Citroen C4 1.6 TDI Common Rail.... Which in terms of money spent in gas is almost the same as the prius, since diessel is a lot cheaper here in Costa Rica than Gas, but pollutes a bit more....
    But that's my wife's car...
    My car history goes like this:

1985 MR2
    1989 Supercharged MR2 (lots of torque and power)
    1993 Turbo MR2
    2001 MR2 Spyder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2007 Prius

What I'm giving up?
    I never had a front wheel drive before....
    I never had a front engine before....
    I never had back seats!!!
    The Spyder made me look younger!!! hahahaha
    Aftermarket premium audio and video.... In Costa Rica, the dealer only sells a weird combination between touring edition, but with the basic audio package. (Can it be upgraded??)

What I'm getting?
    Storage space..... a loooooot of storage space, and a safer seat for my 1 year old daugther.
    I'm still getting used to the fact that I have a trunk, and supermarket bags don`t need to go in the passenger seat!!!

Note: I'm still a n honorary member of the MR2 Auto Club... now the Prius is the Official Pace car for MR2 track racing events!! And we called it MR-Prius

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What car did you drive prior to your Prius? Do you miss things about your old car? Do you have other cars in your family? How do they compare?

What car did you drive prior to your Prius? Do you miss things about your old car? Do you have other cars in your family? How do they compare?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 10 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]523729[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 10 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]523729[/snapback]</div>